DJI osmo mobile - game changer for mobile videography or a gimmick?

eoslover

Samsung S7 4k video

Osmo Mobile from DJI

The capabilities of excellent 4k shootings are there in many smartphones, however one of the worst thing about them is the ergonomic. Now with this face tracking and stabilizer it seems like a no brainer for me to get one. DJI also improved the battery from an hr (the last generation without mobile shooting) to 3.5 hrs.

One down side is the weight, around 500 grams but still we are talking about the whole package under 700 grams for smooth videos. Share your views on this device guys ;)

DJI OSMO.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Much better marketing than newer entrants for sure - they know the selfie, self-documenting run and gun crowd love gimbals. Timelapse was surely a feature that most other gimbal manufacturers could have provided without much extra effort.

Zhiyun, also has face tracking on their smooth II, but I have no idea why they just don't include a timelapse function.

I've owned a Z1 Smooth C for about 6 months now.  It stabilizes my Galaxy Note as good as my Pilotfly H1+ stabilizes my GH3.  Fun to take for travel and doesn't cost much.  Not sure if DJI thing is pocketable in something like cargo pants, and if it is, it would be better than the Z1.  Other than that, I'm very happy with my Z1.

On 9/7/2016 at 5:49 PM, eoslover said:

WOW.... I ordered one as my G4S for GoPro need to go back to China... (It was starting to tilt on the right after 5 minutes loosing balance). I hope it will work nice with the new iPhone 7 video ;-)

On 9/6/2016 at 9:36 PM, Andrew Reid said:

I think I'd rather shoot with the 5 axis IBIS of Panasonic / Olympus and have a proper image :)

Now sure how can get good result with that. 

Yesterday I gave it a try with a 7-14 (no IS) and the GX7MKII (No 5 axis as the internal Ibis does 3 axis) and the result was just catastrophic when walking, even smoothly. Pictures were horribly distorted and IBIS was not able to cop with me walking. Things are MUCH better however when you mount an IS Lens on the GX7MKII (you have 2+3 axis = 5Axis).