Canon 80D first impressions and 3x crop mode

Andrew Reid

2 hours ago, mercer said:

I have been looking at the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 for Canon and some of the videos I have seen from that lens with the 80D look beautiful. Do you know how well the DPAF works with 3rd Party lenses?

I used to have that lens with my Nikon dslr. It's quite loud and jittery in autofocus.  You should consider the Canon 17-55 f2.8 instead. I used to use it with my c100 ii and it worked great with DPAF even in AF-C. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

I used to have that lens with my Nikon dslr. It's quite loud and jittery in autofocus.  You should consider the Canon 17-55 f2.8 instead. I used to use it with my c100 ii and it worked great with DPAF even in AF-C. 

Good to know, thanks Inazuma! I was just about to bid on a used one. Do 3rd party lenses work well with DPAF (depending on the lens?) I'll look into that Canon, it's a little bit more than I wanted to spend, but I'll definitely keep an eye out.

15 minutes ago, mercer said:

Good to know, thanks Inazuma! I was just about to bid on a used one. Do 3rd party lenses work well with DPAF (depending on the lens?) I'll look into that Canon, it's a little bit more than I wanted to spend, but I'll definitely keep an eye out.

I don't know, the Canon 17-55 was the only lens I used on it. I know @Lintelfilm uses the sigma 18-35 and 50-100 tho. Maybe he can tell you. 

Just now, Inazuma said:

I don't know, the Canon 17-55 was the only lens I used on it. I know @Lintelfilm uses the sigma 18-35 and 50-100 tho. Maybe he can tell you. 

DPAF works really great with the Sigma ART zooms - Sigma have now optimised them specifically for it (I don't know if the 17-50mm 2.8 is though - the 18-35mm didn't used to be optimised but they updated the firmware). However unlike the STM lenses they focus very quickly and are quite noisy. If you're looking to invest in Canon for the DPAF I suggest sticking with Canon lenses mainly. 

@Inazuma how noisy is the Canon 17-55 2.8 with DPAF on the C100MKII?

23 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I have been trying out the EOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles pack on a few other cameras, and came across a cheap 80D today. Installed a few of the profiles on the camera in-store and boom - MASSIVE improvement.

A1ex and the Magic Lantern crew are making headway with hacking the 7DMKII, and tinkering with the 80D at the same time as I believe it uses the same architecture.

The 7DMKII would be a fantastic ML camera - DPAF, 60fps native, S35 sensor. It's not really that bad without ML already. It doesn't have the swivel screen but I think I'd choose it over an 80D for the lack of moire, high bitrate/ALL-I codecs etc.

23 minutes ago, Lintelfilm said:

DPAF works really great with the Sigma ART zooms - Sigma have now optimised them specifically for it (I don't know if the 17-50mm 2.8 is though - the 18-35mm didn't used to be optimised but they updated the firmware). However unlike the STM lenses they focus very quickly and are quite noisy. If you're looking to invest in Canon for the DPAF I suggest sticking with Canon lenses mainly. 

@Inazuma how noisy is the Canon 17-55 2.8 with DPAF on the C100MKII?

Well, since I have the XC10, and the 50D for ML, the GX85 almost doesn't make sense anymore... Especially since the quality in 4K doesn't really seem all that much better than the 90+ Mbps the 80D is throwing out. I am going to wait and see what the M5 has in store, but if it doesn't have the higher bitrate, DPAF and 60p, I will probably sell the GX85 and pick up the 80D. Obviously if I go with the canon and it has DPAF, I will certainly want a lens or two that can utilize it. Thanks for your help. 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I could deal with a 2.34x crop, the NX500 was 2.5x+ It was annoying, but it was definitely usable. Also that kind of crop would open up some fast c-mount options on the M5. But again, I agree it would be highly unlikely. But then again, until it is announced, the hope is alive...

I would love to see them implement the 5-axis IS used in the xc10... hands down the best 5-axis I have used... of course I have only used one other... the GX85, but the Canon is like using an actual steadicam (almost)

Hi Mercer, have you ever used the XC10 with a steadicam?, any issue with this set up?

22 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

Hi Mercer, have you ever used the XC10 with a steadicam?, any issue with this set up?

Hey, I have not. I do have a poor man's steady cam made by vidpro... So I have been meaning to give it a try. Give me a day or two and I'll test it out for you. Theoretically, it should work great.

Just now, mercer said:

Hey, I have not. I do have a poor man's steady cam made by vidpro... So I have been meaning to give it a try. Give me a day or two and I'll test it out for you. Theoretically, it should work great.

That will be great, I am so tempted by the XC10, and now it is even cheaper,  by the way, how do you compensate in low light ?, another camera ?, lighting? , or the XC10 codec is good enough?

40 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

That will be great, I am so tempted by the XC10, and now it is even cheaper,  by the way, how do you compensate in low light ?, another camera ?, lighting? , or the XC10 codec is good enough?

It really is an awesome camera. Well worth what I paid for it. But it has a few drawbacks... 1. Media cost for 4K. I have only shot 4K twice, once for some stock footage and a second time for a short that I wanted the extra punch with. I usually shoot 1080p log. It's beautiful. The 5-Axis only works in 1080p and I am more than happy for most of what I use it for. The log I try to her close to the native ISO 500, I will light for that but will go up to 800 if need be. Anything else I usually shoot in Wide DR, I have used that up to 1600 ISO without any noise issues. By 3200 some noise does start to creep in. Hope that helps. 

On 5 September 2016 at 0:24 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Oliver - the 1D X II for that price is without VAT I assume?

Andrew - the camera is listed at £4099 here: http://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/2928/canon_eos-1d_x_mark_ii_digital_slr_camera_body_only

I believe they do it Digital Rev style... no VAT to pay. The website says the price you see is final and goods are shipped from the UK for UK customers. 

I'm VAT registered, however this deal seems even cheaper after you claim the VAT back. 

What do you think? 

On September 6, 2016 at 3:09 PM, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Remember that there are speed boosters for the ef-m mount, so any crop factor could potentially be reduced to a manageable number.

Sorry, just saw this. And yeah, that's right there are speed boosters. But if I remember correctly they only have Nikon and ef? Of course, I will probably be using my Nikkor lenses anyway... they seem to be my go to lately... so we'll see.

6 minutes ago, mercer said:

Sorry, just saw this. And yeah, that's right there are speed boosters. But if I remember correctly they only have Nikon and ef? Of course, I will probably be using my Nikkor lenses anyway... they seem to be my go to lately... so we'll see.

True, but EF gives you the option for OM, M42, Leica R, C/Y, F, and others I'm forgetting. 

Same reason I don't poo-poo the Fuji 4K crop. 1.75 x .71 = 1.24, which is  better than the 1DC and wide enough to accommodate any full frame lens kit.

19 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

True, but EF gives you the option for OM, M42, Leica R, C/Y, F, and others I'm forgetting. 

Same reason I don't poo-poo the Fuji 4K crop. 1.75 x .71 = 1.24, which is  better than the 1DC and wide enough to accommodate any full frame lens kit.

That's true... a lot more options with the ef version. I actually read somewhere, I can't find the link now... I think it was on the lens bubbles blog, that if you use a slim, no glass, md to ef adapter (i think they're used for macro shots) with an ef speedbooster, you can obtain infinity focus... I guess the glass from the speedbooster works like the corrective glass from a normal, with glass, md to ef adapter. If it even works, I wonder if it would alter the additional crop factor from the speedbooster. 

11 minutes ago, mercer said:

Place your link on a new line, wait a sec and it will embed itself. But yeah, that is a pretty nice image, the shadows are clean. And apparently the in camera audio can make any singer/songwriter rhyme "sausages on the fire..."

lol oh thank you i meant that it just says watch on vimeo when its embedded bc its private ?

that flippy screen tho

Oh gotcha... you're probably a lot younger than me, so I'm sure you can tell me how to do most computer thingies... And yeah, I am not really a fan of flip screens... I tend to be a klutz and I suspect I would snap it right off. Plus I like to have the camera in front of me, it seems off balanced with the screen out.