iPhone 7: 4k60p confirmed

wolf33d

Yes, Samsung phones are waterproof and have a headphone jack. Leaving out a headphone jack is not innovation (I was joking above). More importantly, no wireless connection that I know of can carry high-resolution (uncompressed, 192 kHz, 24-biy) audio, so its just another degradation of sound quality. It would be an innovation if hi-rez audio, uncompressed, were transmitted wirelessly.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, markr041 said:

Yes, Samsung phones are waterproof and have a headphone jack. Leaving out a headphone jack is not innovation (I was joking above). More importantly, no wireless connection that I know of can carry high-resolution (uncompressed, 192 kHz, 24-biy) audio, so its just another degradation of sound quality. It would be an innovation if hi-rez audio, uncompressed, were transmitted wirelessly.

No matter how much they improve wireless signal for audio, it'll never beat the infinite bandwidth of copper.  Right now, it's absolute crap.

5 hours ago, Michael Ma said:

No matter how much they improve wireless signal for audio, it'll never beat the infinite bandwidth of copper.  Right now, it's absolute crap.

Trouble is there's no point highlighting the crap quality of the source material with higher resolution transmission.

• Super Members

I remember all the angry mobs who cried about the first iPad not having one but several full sized USB ports :)
Personally Im not buying an iPhone but I'm happy they did  it.

Same with switching from micro USB. I've always hated all the standards of USB. Full size, micro, doesn't matter. All USB connections have always sucked total balls and been a total pita. Just like micro HDMI. So the C-type is very welcomed as a step in the right direction.

What I wonder with the expectation regarding 4k60p is, why would anyone shooting with a mobile phone consider that?I'd guess there's really no interest from regular consumers. 1080p gives them 120fps which is "better" slow motion.

I made a quick check by asking 5 people at work (industrial manufacturing company) if they set their iPhone 6s (we have them as work phones) to 4k30fps. I got a "can Instagram or Facebook show that already?" and everyone stuck with the standard 1080p30fps, actually only one of them didn't have to look into the settings to find out (the others didn't even know there is a setting), he said 4k uses too much memory and he made a concious decision.

I feel like there's as good as no interest from consumers in 4k60p. Like with the cameras, enthusiasts are a small market wedged between consumers who don't give a f*ck and pros who buy purpose built equipment, so we can't really expect the industry to make us happy.

Ports: There is no analogy between going from micro-usb to usb-c and going from an analog audio port (wired connection0 to wireless. usb-c is superior in every way to micro-usb (or usb 3.0) - it allows faster data transfers, it is easier to use (symmetric port), and has additional features. The new technology here totally dominates, go for it.

However, the new technology replacing the "50-year old" analog audio port is inferior in every way. It requires wireless transmission that cannot pass as much data as a wire, thus crippling the quality of audio quite audibly (this is the opposite of usb-c and micro-usb). Whatever the quality of the audio source wireless is additional degradation via compression. We all know what compression does, right? Moreover, now you have to use powered headphones. That makes them larger and requires paying attention to charging and re-charging; really inconvenient for long flights. A wireless option is fine; but requiring it is a reduction in both quality and convenience.

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, markr041 said:

However, the new technology replacing the "50-year old" analog audio port is inferior in every way.

Not in every way. Maybe in "every way for Mark", but not everyone.
Quick survey at work showed a 100% in favor of wireless. All work with audio/video on a daily basis so they know all about quality. Its about usability.
Like someone said, why use the best cable to transfer crappy streamed, compressed audio.

57 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Exactly. It's not like we're talking about professional recording equipment here. It's your phone. I was looking at a tangled ball of white iphone charger, and headphone cords thinking this is so ridiculous. It may take a few years but cords are going away in mobile tech.

Bluetooth earphones and wireless charging have both been available for some years now. Go for it, Apple does not exist in a vacuum. Have fun charging you earphones, though.

The only sensible thing would be to make wireless earphones that can charge and work with a supplied cable when the battery runs out. Cables are only really obtrusive only a fraction of the time (like for exercise).

Wireless is convenient for some, analog port is convenient for others (no charging of headphones, smaller headphones). And some would like to listen to good quality audio, which is not possible by the standards you all apply to video here (get it, some care as much about audio quality as you care about video). Those folks who "work with audio/video on a daily basis so they know all about quality" obviously do not care about audio quality from portable devices or do not know about wireless technology and audio.

Samsung phones offers both options, Samsung phones do not cost more and are not bigger or heavier because of the analog port. How is that not superior? Note that the latest LG phone touts its audio quality - so they think there is a market for that. Apple does not care, evidently, about audio quality. They indeed led the way to highly compressed, artifact-filled audio.

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, markr041 said:

Wireless is convenient for some, analog port is convenient for others (no charging of headphones, smaller headphones). And some would like to listen to good quality audio, which is not possible by the standards you all apply to video here (get it, some care as much about audio quality as you care about video).

I say most serious video shooters do. Ive been meaning to say that to you since reading your thread titled "When External Audio Really Matters".
IMO, it ALWAYS matter. And as you've heard from others giving feedback on your videos, the audio is key.

The 4K may as well be SD if the audio is just static and pulsating :)

9 minutes ago, markr041 said:

.. or do not know about wireless technology and audio.

Of course they do. They know more about it than most (including you) will ever do. But you misread my post.
I suggest not having the defensive glasses on and not apply your needs and standards on others.
They are real audiophiles and could care less about the 3.5mm jack in their phone since they would never use the phone in the first place when quality is of concern.
They look for "good enough".

3 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

Bluetooth earphones and wireless charging have both been available for some years now. Go for it, Apple does not exist in a vacuum. Have fun charging you earphones, though.

The only sensible thing would be to make wireless earphones that can charge and work with a supplied cable when the battery runs out. Cables are only really obtrusive only a fraction of the time (like for exercise).

Yeah besides the tangle of cords I haven't really been bothered by headphones.  And all those cables means I've never lost a pair of wired headphones while I have spent a small fortune on bluetooth headsets.  I refuse to pay for premium bluetooth headphones because they get lost so easily.  Airpods are $159 a pair!  I can't wait to read the internet rants when people lose those.  And what happens if you lose one?  Can you just buy the other side for half price?

The charging thing is a major no no for me.  My Beats noise cancelling headphones run forever on AAA batteries.  On a 10 hour flight I have no interest in shutting everything down and waiting for hours while my headphones to recharge.  With my current setup using an external travel battery I can use my phone continuously for 10 hours and arrive at my destination with everything charged and ready to go for a full day.

When I am done with my jog I just toss my wired earbuds in the center console of my car.  They are there and ready to go the next day.  No thought or planning required.  The amount of stuff we have to carry around and charge these days is ridiculous.  It is so nice to have something that is always ready to go and that you can leave in a car on a sunny 95F day no problem.

5 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I remember all the angry mobs who cried about the first iPad not having one but several full sized USB ports :)

Actually quite a few people complain pretty loudly on the internet about the lack of USB... and lack of SD/microSD... and the high price... and the engineered obsolesces with OS updates.  It's kind of like Canon.  Just because you are the most profitable company in your space doesn't mean that people don't have valid complaints about your products.

Apple does certain things really well but I honestly find flaws with all the current mobile OS ecosystems.  I'm happy that some people enjoy the idea of wireless headphones as much as you and your colleagues but for me that is a solution looking for a problem.

4 hours ago, Phil A said:

What I wonder with the expectation regarding 4k60p is, why would anyone shooting with a mobile phone consider that?I'd guess there's really no interest from regular consumers. 1080p gives them 120fps which is "better" slow motion.

I made a quick check by asking 5 people at work (industrial manufacturing company) if they set their iPhone 6s (we have them as work phones) to 4k30fps. I got a "can Instagram or Facebook show that already?" and everyone stuck with the standard 1080p30fps, actually only one of them didn't have to look into the settings to find out (the others didn't even know there is a setting), he said 4k uses too much memory and he made a concious decision.

I feel like there's as good as no interest from consumers in 4k60p. Like with the cameras, enthusiasts are a small market wedged between consumers who don't give a f*ck and pros who buy purpose built equipment, so we can't really expect the industry to make us happy.

I have no recollection of anyone showing me a cell phone slow motion video... ever.  Granted I don't hang around teenagers who are into extreme sports.

Most people take a quick video of their kid or something they saw and post it to Facebook or send it to me via Whatsapp.

The irony is with lack of expandable memory iphones are the last kind of phone people are going to want to shoot 4k of any type on.

Mr. Burling said: "Of course they do. They know more about it than most (including you) will ever do. But you misread my post.
I suggest not having the defensive glasses on and not apply your needs and standards on others.
They are real audiophiles and could care less about the 3.5mm jack in their phone since they would never use the phone in the first place when quality is of concern.
They look for "good enough"."

I like your posts and videos, but every once in a while you get nasty and personal. You ought to check it.

You also missed the point of my later post: having the choice of an analog port and wireless in a phone beats not having the choice. Apple is the one that imposed their values on all of us by removing something that some value. I just advocated leaving a choice, and noted why the analog port has some merit (unlike the usb compared to usb-c in the false analogy) and why the wireless has some pitfalls. I am guilty of defending choice.

And, no, "real" audiophiles by definition do not look for "good enough". Obviously you are not one of them. Audiophiles look for the best, taking into account (for most) expenditure constraints. For audio, Apple is not the best.