Tired of DSLR bodies size and weight, any mirrorless suggestions?

rcalvaro

Hi, this is my first post in the forum, hope to get some help.

After last holidays I ended up bored with the size and weight of my Nikon D7100, and right now I'm seriously considering to move to a mirrorless system. I'm not interested in full frame because of the money and the size of the lenses, I'm more into some APSC or Micro 4/3 with some cameras in mind, but very very doubtful.

The Sony a6000 seems appealing right now, I don't really need 4K video, but I'm a bit worried about overheating and rolling shutter in video mode.

The Fujis XT 1 and XT 10 also seem to fit my needs, but I'm not sure about the quality in video mode.

Would you recommend any of this or different cameras?, in video quality I would like it to be similar to my Nikon D7100, better would be great, but if it's the same quality I really don't mind, my priority right now is to carry a lighter and smaller camera.

Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nikon D3300?? Video quality is on the same level, but is very cheap, and lighter/smaller than the D7100.
It would be a rather painless transition from a D7100 for you, and it would be a perfect match for each other when you want to do multi cam shooting.

1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

If weight with high end lenses is a concern, I would try out Panasonic if your not interested in stills. If you are Fuji's upcoming camera looks pretty good.

I have been using both Olympus and Panasonic cameras for stills and have no idea why you would think that Panasonic is only valid for video.  The Panasonic raw files are quite robust and the JPEG processing with the GX80 is actually quite good, while maybe not yet matching Olympus/Fuji.

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Nikon D3300?? Video quality is on the same level, but is very cheap, and lighter/smaller than the D7100.
It would be a rather painless transition from a D7100 for you, and it would be a perfect match for each other when you want to do multi cam shooting.

D3300 no articulated screen.

D5500 is mega small / light, video is basic but very clean, easy to handle files, decent low light.

Thanks for all the answers. Right now I'm not considering DSLRs, even tough it's small and light, the D5500 doesn't match what I'm looking for.

I'm not in a hurry, so I hope to see new models or discounts on existing ones, but after taking a very fast and brief look at a store today I like something similar in size and weight to the Fuji XT10 and Sony a6000 (or 6300), wich will make a huge difference in my next trip or even daily.

Thanks for all the answers, it has been really helpful.

Right now I'm seriously thinking about getting a Panasonic GX85, it fits my needs in size, weight and budget; I have some doubts tough between this and the GX8, they both seem very similar, but maybe the video quality is better in the GX85, can anyone tell me about that? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the answers, I ended up getting a GX80 with the 12-32 kit lens for a really good price (594€), and bought separately the 25mm 1.7

I haven't tried it much yet but it's exactly what I wanted, small, light and with amazing quality for the price, I was reluctant to mirrorless because I use the camera for both video and stills, but this camera has changed my mind completely.

Here are my first tests with it, nothing special, but I'm sure I'll be shooting much more than with my old D7100, wich was quite big and heavy to carry around daily.