Canon 1D X Mark II user reports and 4K crop

Andrew Reid

4 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I use a 5" on the A7SII all the time. Pretty essential. The canon isn't articulated so some shots will be a big problem without a small monitor. 

I've been using my phone for the DJI X5R - the image that feed through is awful. Very soft, pixelated and weird colour. Judging focus is very hard. They need to work on that. 

Canon should make a touchscreen PDAF monitor for video shooters - or I guess thats the smartphone app? ;)

Smartphone app works with the DPAF. It may not be the best, but I hate the added weight of  a monitor. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, Travis Thor Matteson said:

I picked up a new gaming laptop that has an i7-6700HQ (2.60GHz), 64GB RAM, & a GTX980M. Plays 4k60p in PP in real time. Easy to edit. Nice not having to make proxies. 

Did you try Resolve? I want to upgrade my machine but I want to be sure that it plays back 4k60p in real-time....I bet it should work because my that has a crappy GPU and the CPU is not the latest does 4k30p...

20 hours ago, DBounce said:

There is no such camera. So why would anyone compare the 1DXMkII to something that is imaginary? Why not just compare to the A12... specs should be killer.

It is in development. Whether it will be released or not remains to be seen. However, the 7 series compete against the 5D, not the 1D, so you should make fair comparisons, not compare a particular model against a competitor's higher tier product.

If the 9 series makes it to market it will almost certainly have much beefier processing capabilities than the 7s, and the larger body form will help greatly in maintaining a more useable heat envelope.

Plus, the first mark III products in the 7 series will probably start to appear in 2017 as well, and they will be more advanced than current models. That is what Canon will be competing against.

On 9/8/2016 at 0:46 AM, gt3rs said:

Did you try Resolve? I want to upgrade my machine but I want to be sure that it plays back 4k60p in real-time....I bet it should work because my that has a crappy GPU and the CPU is not the latest does 4k30p...

I've only tried PP/AE I don't use Resolve. I'm sure it would work fine with my setup though.

On 5.9.2016 at 0:22 PM, Andrew Reid said:

I am getting some lovely results with 120FPS on the hacked Samsung NX1. Latest firmware and the increased bitrates of the hack have done wonders for it since the NX1 first came out. It is much more detailed than the 1D X Mark II 120fps and whips the ass of the mushy A7S II 120fps at a fraction of the cost!! And full Super 35mm field of view!

Just make sure to turn sharpness all the way down in-camera.

Hacked NX1 1080/120p in terms of moire and aliasing is similar to X Pro 2 1080p maybe a bit cleaner.

Which framerate are you setting for 120fps?

2 hours ago, Matthew19 said:

somehow Bloom has been able to make canon colors look like sony. Otherwise beautiful work and a lovely camera.

Agreed. Philip "10 percent off film convert" Bloom. 

19 minutes ago, independent said:

Of course it looks good, it's pretty close to the 1dc, clog be damned.

But slow motion (and cute music) are naturally crowd pleasers. A bit of a cheap trick, really. 

24P, under challenging light, with movement, capturing motion - those are the stress tests. 

Definitely true, but a nice trick to have on the camera you choose to buy. Insanely clean images from what I see. I wonder if he uses any noise removal.

1 hour ago, BenEricson said:

Definitely true, but a nice trick to have on the camera you choose to buy. Insanely clean images from what I see. I wonder if he uses any noise removal.

The 1DX II is very clean in the shadows (as is the C300 II with the latest firmware: amazingly clean).

12 hours ago, Matthew19 said:

somehow Bloom has been able to make canon colors look like sony. Otherwise beautiful work and a lovely camera.

Although the colours are a little dull and James Millery muted (I guess that's the intention), there is absolutely no chance of my A7SII achieving those skin tones. 

Also the rather photographic motion is something my Sony can't get close to. 

I'm editing a music video filmed on the A7SII right now - I'm having a tough time with the skin tone on the female actress in the video. Very tough. 

I have to say I'm seriously, seriously tempted to jump onto the 1DX II ship. All my glass is EF mount. So tempted. 

My only serious reservation is the non-tilting screen. Wonder if this will be rectified with a SmallHD501 on the hot shoe - seems ideal with LUT support/exposure aids etc? 

35 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

The DPAF stands out again, stunning.

He's a brave man going around filming kids on a playpark though, in the UK... You could get a right beating if the wrong person thinks you are filming their kid.

I was thinking the same thing... On both counts. 

In fact, I have been so impressed with the DPAF I have seen, I already bought a lens to go with a future camera purchase. The question is, are the later implementations of DPAF better, or is the tech the same, there just may be more focus points on newer cameras?

1dx2 have an exellent picture for sure, better the the A7x in 4K. However, these log profiles may not be call logs- I suspect the picture is compressed and burnt in before the picture style is applied, so no extended dynamic range is achieved. We most probably could use neutral picture style and use a lut and some grading and have the same result. Its the film emulation lut + some grain that gives the look. I suspect we all are cheated.............

5 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

Not as clean as 1DC/1DX according to my test.

Interesting. The noise in the blacks for the latest firmware for the C300 II, especially with Canon Log 3, is really low. This test shows the improvements: 

I haven't done A/B tests, however just pulling up the blacks and seeing basically no noise in my quick tests with Canon Log 3 was very impressive. The low-light image looks better than even the A7S II (didn't test crazy high ISOs). Since Canon was able to improve noise performance on the C300 II, perhaps the 1DX II with dual Digic 6+ processors can also provide even better noise performance in the future with a firmware update.

Someone mentioned a full-frame 5DC rumor (or perhaps that would be the 1DC II?). By crippling the 5DIV for video, they've left open the option to make a full-frame cinema camera (maybe that's also an option for the C700 with the rumored sensor swap capability; 5DC/1DC II would be the b-camera option).

I think even some of the die-hard Canon bashers are realizing that color is number one, which is why there's so much emotion around lack of other features, such as slow motion, log formats, video aids, and crop factors. If Canon didn't have great color, there wouldn't be any controversy- people just wouldn't use or care about their cameras.

4 hours ago, Asmundma said:

We most probably could use neutral picture style and use a lut and some grading and have the same result. Its the film emulation lut + some grain that gives the look.

Only one way to find out ...do a couple of shoots in different situations with both profiles and see if you can match the neutral to the eoshd c-log. Next check what hapens if you apply the luts that came with it.

13 hours ago, jcs said:

I think even some of the die-hard Canon bashers are realizing that color is number one, which is why there's so much emotion around lack of other features, such as slow motion, log formats, video aids, and crop factors. If Canon didn't have great color, there wouldn't be any controversy- people just wouldn't use or care about their cameras.

Indeed. 

The main reason I consider a Canon is color, which us why I'm interested in this camera. It's far beyond the Sony A7's (of which I own an A7SII), although lacks key video features. I guess this is something like a SmallHD 501 would sort out. 

The bitrate isn't much of an issue to me - just have a couple of Transcend 256gb Cfast 2 cards and transcode to ProRes straight from the card, deleting the MJPEG masters.

Do you know if external monitors view the live view information overlay (f-stop, shutter, frame rate, autofocus) from the Canon 1DX II? Just wondering if you used the joystick for autofocus, that you could see what you were operationally doing on a monitor too? 

Yes, and there are two modes, one with only the external lcd active where you can get the full information exactly how it is showed on the internal one. Naturally you can use the joystick to move the autofocus point... The second mode you have both lcds enabled and there you see the camera info only on the embedded lcd and the external get a clean hdmi output, in this mode you can use both the touch on the embedded lcd or the joystick to move the focus. Personally I wish there was the possibility to have the camera info on both lcds at the same time especially for gimbal usage...