EOSHD C-LOG

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, mercer said:

Have you ever used the 24-70mm IS L f/4? That's the one I am most tempted by. Good size and weight. It should adapt well to the M5 if I go that route instead of the 80D. 

All these lenses are good. The reason I recommended the 17-55 was that is has BOTH IS AND a constant 2.8. The issue for me is being able to get more light into the cam, a shallower DOF, while hand held. The only full frame 2.8 with great DOF and stabilization is the Tamron--beautiful image, weights a TON, and has a curved convex lens that prevents the use of a variable ND filter---Arghhhh. But in the right place with the right light it works a treat---and is less $$$ than Canon.

30 minutes ago, tomsemiterrific said:

All these lenses are good. The reason I recommended the 17-55 was that is has BOTH IS AND a constant 2.8. The issue for me is being able to get more light into the cam, a shallower DOF, while hand held. The only full frame 2.8 with great DOF and stabilization is the Tamron--beautiful image, weights a TON, and has a curved convex lens that prevents the use of a variable ND filter---Arghhhh. But in the right place with the right light it works a treat---and is less $$$ than Canon.

I ended up getting a prime instead. You're right about the faster lens, so I bought a refurbished 35mm f2 IS from Canon... They're having a sale on their lenses until tomorrow. I think with either the M5, or the 80D, this lens and Andrew's C-Log and a little grading luck, I should be able to match the XC10. We'll see. 

6 hours ago, mercer said:

I ended up getting a prime instead. You're right about the faster lens, so I bought a refurbished 35mm f2 IS from Canon... They're having a sale on their lenses until tomorrow. I think with either the M5, or the 80D, this lens and Andrew's C-Log and a little grading luck, I should be able to match the XC10. We'll see. 

I found a page with the features of the M5 revealed. I really don't like the looks of it. Nothing remarkable about the specs, and what is this M-mount?

But I've made a decision--I do a LOT of talking head videos, and I think I'm going to upgrade to the  XC15. But in order to do it I've got to sell something, and I think it's going to be the 80D. I bought it new in the winter of 2016 from Wolf camera her in Dallas. I'll probably put it on eBay. It's really a new camera. I don't think I've shot more than 3 hours of footage on it and done 50 photos. I hate to sell it, but the XC15 makes more sense for what I do.

If you're interested in it let me know. I'd can sell it with my STM lenses--which are very good. If you're interested let me know. I was thinking of selling it with the 15-55 zoom 2.8 for 1,300.00.  Let me know, otherwise, I'll put it up on eBay--probably tomorrow.

29 minutes ago, tomsemiterrific said:

I found a page with the features of the M5 revealed. I really don't like the looks of it. Nothing remarkable about the specs, and what is this M-mount?

But I've made a decision--I do a LOT of talking head videos, and I think I'm going to upgrade to the  XC15. But in order to do it I've got to sell something, and I think it's going to be the 80D. I bought it new in the winter of 2016 from Wolf camera her in Dallas. I'll probably put it on eBay. It's really a new camera. I don't think I've shot more than 3 hours of footage on it and done 50 photos. I hate to sell it, but the XC15 makes more sense for what I do.

If you're interested in it let me know. I'd can sell it with my STM lenses--which are very good. If you're interested let me know. I was thinking of selling it with the 15-55 zoom 2.8 for 1,300.00.  Let me know, otherwise, I'll put it up on eBay--probably tomorrow.

Man, that is tempting. If I didn't already have two cameras I need to sell, I would probably jump on it. I have a BMMCC and a GX85 I need to sell before I could put out any more money. But that is a good price. 

The M mount is actually Canon's mirrorless mount known as the ef-m mount. The M5 pretty much has identical specs as the 80D, but it will also have focus peaking, 5-Axis IBIS, the most autofocus points of any camera. It should be a little beast of a cam.

The XC15 looks decent, I like the upgrades, but not enough for me to upgrade to it. I'll wait for the XC20 to get DPAF, constant zoom and hopefully 5-Axis in 4K and maybe 4K 60p... Well at least one or two of them. I do like the addition of the waveforms though. I'm hoping they'll eventually add them to the XC10 in a firmware update. 

16 hours ago, mercer said:

How's the focus breathing on it? I was reading a few reviews of the 24-70mm f4 and it seems to have a little breathing. I can handle a little, it can be a nice effect sometimes, but I don't want too much. 

It probably has a little for sure, but I've never noticed shots where it's a problem for me. I guess I'm not pulling focus a huge amount when I shoot with that lens though, I have primes that I use more for that style.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Man, that is tempting. If I didn't already have two cameras I need to sell, I would probably jump on it. I have a BMMCC and a GX85 I need to sell before I could put out any more money. But that is a good price. 

The M mount is actually Canon's mirrorless mount known as the ef-m mount. The M5 pretty much has identical specs as the 80D, but it will also have focus peaking, 5-Axis IBIS, the most autofocus points of any camera. It should be a little beast of a cam.

The XC15 looks decent, I like the upgrades, but not enough for me to upgrade to it. I'll wait for the XC20 to get DPAF, constant zoom and hopefully 5-Axis in 4K and maybe 4K 60p... Well at least one or two of them. I do like the addition of the waveforms though. I'm hoping they'll eventually add them to the XC10 in a firmware update. 

Thanks for cluing me in on the M-mount. I still don't like the look of the cam. Not at all. Make a mirrorless look like a mirrorless with it's logical convenience, like the XC10. 

I'd spring for the M5 if it had 4k. But right now I'm trying to future proof my cams to a certain degree as well as have everything work as a system. Alas, that's how Canon rolls in 2016---no obligator 4k. WTF! Most of what I do are educational videos for my business--where I so a lot of teaching--so, talking head stuff. The XC10 gives such great images and 4k I can downsample to my business educational site, and it's so easy to get great results with it the addition of XLR for improved audio alone is enough for me to upgrade now.  As the saying goes, professional video is all about professional audio--ain't it the truth.

Plus, the attachment for the XLR audio can also be used for the C300 Mk II. Yes, the 300 Mk II already has XLR, but it's part of an LCD and adds a lot of weight in hand held shooting. This XLR unit that's interchangeable on the XC15 and C300 Mk II is lighter and will make outdoor hand held shooting easier, since out of doors I never use the LCD.

The other thing is the XC15 will have all those cinema profiles to match the C300 Mk II...AND a waveform...!! YeSSSSSS!!! I love using waveform to help me with Log exposure---it's indispensable IMO. But I must confess I seldom take the C300 out---it's 95% a studio cam--worth every penny, IMO.

PS:

You might be waiting till Hell freezes over until Canon comes out with an XC model with a constant 2.8---I'm just saying. Canon giveth, Canon taketh away, and Canon depriveth. Arrrrrrgh!

I bought it yesterday, installed on the 5D Mark II without problems. I'm not sure yet, but it seems to output some really smooth footage. Note that I'm using in-camera H.264. Cinestyle appears to have less headroom both in the shadows and the highlights. For example, the Cinestyle footage of a specific scene had blown highlights while C-LOG preserved them just fine and had cleaner shadows. 

I found that C-LOG works nicely with magic lantern when I set the zebras to appear after the brightness level of 235 (about 93%) which seems to be the maximum value allowed by C-LOG. This way I can always know if I've overexposed anything.

I was just thinking, why should the highlight values be limited at 236/255? Is it the nature of log?

I just bought the color profiles, but no where are their any instructions for applying them? I assumed there would be written settings that I input into my cameras Canon t3i and EOS-m but instead got a bunch of files. Nothing in my camera manual tells me how to upload them to the camera or is this something done in my NLE? anyway, before I request a refund, maybe you can give me some instruction on how to use these in my camera and upload it to them?  Also would be helpful once they are available in camera to take advantage of them and use them to full potential as in setting camera to expose high lights?

1 hour ago, Jed I. Clampett said:

I just bought the color profiles, but no where are their any instructions for applying them? I assumed there would be written settings that I input into my cameras Canon t3i and EOS-m but instead got a bunch of files. Nothing in my camera manual tells me how to upload them to the camera or is this something done in my NLE? anyway, before I request a refund, maybe you can give me some instruction on how to use these in my camera and upload it to them?  Also would be helpful once they are available in camera to take advantage of them and use them to full potential as in setting camera to expose high lights?

not in your nle. it's done the same as with cinestyle. there should be an instructional pdf in your purchase. use canon eos utility for your camera, plug your camera into your computer, replace a user defined picture profile with whichever of Andrew's .pf3 files you're going to use

18 hours ago, Souto said:

A quick test with the very good EOSHD C-LOG on a Canon 60D. The limiting factor in some situations: the 8-bit codec.

Did you test against a standard Canon picture profiles?  As shown here, the highlights are burned and the value of the c-log is questionable. Still to see if we can squeeze more dynamic range out of it. Actually, you may lose color information. i.e. if you want vivid colors.   

screen grab of something I shot today at my friend's bbq. I didn't check for exposure nor white balance prior so color correction was more of a pain since I had to use some reference of what I remembered seeing that day. Then added a m31 lut from vision-color. 

Gear Used;

Canon 60D

Sigma 18-35 F/1.8

SLR Magic Variable ND MKII 82mm

clog1.png

clog2.png

clog3.png

5 hours ago, Asmundma said:

Did you test against a standard Canon picture profiles?  As shown here, the highlights are burned and the value of the c-log is questionable. Still to see if we can squeeze more dynamic range out of it. Actually, you may lose color information. i.e. if you want vivid colors.   

No, I did not, Asmundma. And you are right: I should have done it and put images side by side, both before and after adjustments. However, the 60d has been an "old" companion of mine, and the EOSHD C-LOG seems to give a more flexible image (just the 8-bit codec is a nightmare in some situations). I am aware that highlights are burned in that particular image (should have been more careful). But please see the video as a whole. Shooting inside of a tropical forest is incredibly challenging in terms of light conditions. Even taking pictures, and pictures have a much better dynamic range than video in popular cameras, is not easy when you have direct sunlight on leaves, trunks (some covered with white lichens), while parts of the scenery is immersed in dark shadows. That is why I took the unpretentious 60d with EOSHD C-LOG in this walk to see how it could handle it (pretty good to my taste). Thank you for your input. If I find some time next weekend I will do a comparison test, as you suggested.   

On 9/10/2016 at 8:16 AM, Diego said:

somebody has tried on a t2i o similar (t3i,t4i) Can upload a footage o some frames?

See my post with a 60d. The t2i (a.k.a. 550d) should have the same video characteristics of the 60d.