EOSHD C-LOG

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I purchased the profile and the LUTS. I haven't had a chance to load them onto a camera yet, but I did test the LUTS on Canon LOG 1080p footage from my XC10. They work pretty well. Cine 3 is definitely my favorite so far.

Ungraded Canon LOG from XC10...

XC10 - eoshd - no lut.jpg

XC10 with Cine 3 LUT, no other adjustment...

XC10 - eoshd - Cine 3 LUT.jpg

Now I need to do a test with a Canon DSLR to see if I can match the look of the XC10 Canon LOG with the EOSHD C-LOG. If so, this opens up a couple opportunities for a 2 camera set up. The XC10 for general shots... the meat and potatoes of a shoot, and a DSLR for any close up requiring shallow depth.

12 hours ago, Krisztián Kovács said:

I just bought this C-Log picture style today, and it's incredibly good! Here is a test shot with my 70D and a 50mm 1.8 STM lens. I'm really glad, that i purchased it, for 10 bucks it's really worth it! 

Nice footage, Krisztian---love those chickens. This is a great service. Every Canon DSLR should be equipped with Canon Log---It's to Andrew's credit that he took this upon himself, and to Canon's detriment that they have failed to do so, and failed for years.

14 hours ago, Krisztián Kovács said:

I just bought this C-Log picture style today, and it's incredibly good! Here is a test shot with my 70D and a 50mm 1.8 STM lens. I'm really glad, that i purchased it, for 10 bucks it's really worth it! 

Very nice colors, fasza lett :P

Ok example of clog - but you need to find a high dynamic scene that has content in the very low end of the histogram and the very top end using e.g. Canons standard profile. By using clog, the shadows will be raised. Then you need to expose correctly and revert it back to something similar as the standard profile (punch)  with the given luts (or manually grade), but with higher dynamic range. Unless you not able to get back to what is told to be "canon color science" (or correct colors) nothing is proven. Anybody can create a log profile and use whatever lut and show something- We can do this with any Sony camera as well.

I will try this with my 1dx2, but challenge other to do the same.... over the next days.

In my previous example, earlier in the thread, I did not expose correctly and even if it was not clipping, I was not able to get correct colors for the light part of the picture.

What I see in the examples over, none of them seems to have a big dynamic range, and as such a log profile is not needed. You can just grade to your taste.

29 minutes ago, Asmundma said:

Ok example of clog - but you need to find a high dynamic scene that has content in the very low end of the histogram and the very top end using e.g. Canons standard profile. By using clog, the shadows will be raised. Then you need to expose correctly and revert it back to something similar as the standard profile (punch)  with the given luts (or manually grade), but with higher dynamic range. Unless you not able to get back to what is told to be "canon color science" (or correct colors) nothing is proven. Anybody can create a log profile and use whatever lut and show something- We can do this with any Sony camera as well.

I will try this with my 1dx2, but challenge other to do the same.... over the next days.

In my previous example, earlier in the thread, I did not expose correctly and even if it was not clipping, I was not able to get correct colors for the light part of the picture.

What I see in the examples over, none of them seems to have a big dynamic range, and as such a log profile is not needed. You can just grade to your taste.

I did some basic test and I can say that at last you have one diaf point better of exposure at the end.

26 minutes ago, tomsemiterrific said:

Using Andrew's C-log with Canon LUTs here is some footage, some shot with eoshd C-log on the 80D compared with standard Canon C-log shot with the XC10.  Our youngest child,Mary, condescended to be an impatient model.

Looks good. How do you like the 80D? I was thinking about maybe getting one for a two camera set up with the XC10. It looks like they match up fairly well with Andrew's C-Log Profile. And it seems as long as you let your kid talk she is completely comfortable in front of the camera. 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Looks good. How do you like the 80D? I was thinking about maybe getting one for a two camera set up with the XC10. It looks like they match up fairly well with Andrew's C-Log Profile. And it seems as long as you let your kid talk she is completely comfortable in front of the camera. 

Mary has been in 28 shows, has starred in most of them, and  is a top-notch singer. The best thing is to get her talking in an animated way about something she likes or finds funny. Regarding the 80D I wasn't crazy about it until I got the f 2.8 STM zoom---an excellent lens. Now, the new custom profiles and C-log Andrew has created have given the 80D a new lease on life. I love the skin tones--they seem so alive and vibrant.

Generally, I think it's not all that hard to get the 80D with eoshd Log and Canon Log to match. I think you just have to be careful to white balance the camera well--using a Kelvin Number. But people with experience doing this may disagree and have a better way.

The thing I like about the 80D most is how easy it is to shoot and get good results. The dual pixel focus is a great feature---secure enough to trust it and be able to concentrate on composition and exposure. I XC10 gives similar ease and security.

The issue between these two cams is that the 80D only shoots in 1080p---so no real matching in 4k. But, IMO, the good news is the XC10 is a great 1080p camera. All the footage here was shot in 1080p. I really don't care for any of the custom profiles Canon provides, but I really like Andrew's. I wish I could get the cinema pic files he created on the XC10.