EOSHD C-LOG

Andrew Reid

I've been using the EOSHD C-LOG for the past month, now, shooting for a hybrid web-series and cooking class called "STIR!".

For the most part, I've really been pleased with the results. Not having much experience color grading, it's been pretty easy to achieve a look I like using either the Technical or Creative LUT presets in Adobe Premiere's Lumetri as a base.

Here's the commercial for the next event, shot entirely with C-LOG on my 5d4 at 1080/60p and using the (legacy) Cinespace2383 creative LUT as the base.

and here's the episode we just released:

I switched to EOSHD C-LOG in the middle of taping the segments. Can you tell which is which?  (probably, since I'm a newb ;-)
I did have a rather "serious" issue between cameras, which I simply wasn't expecting. The last segment, about Moriah Pie beginning at 23:26, the interviews, gardening footage, and home kitchen cooking were shot with the first of my two 80Ds with C-LOG at 1080/60p. Any shots involving pizza service/actual restaurant operation were shot by my 2nd Unit with my second 80D with C-LOG at 1080/24p. The footage was not easily interchangeable between the two. The 2nd Unit's footage looked entirely different when I'd apply the same LUT (and ended up only needing a contrast push to get it to where I wanted it to be). The weirder part was that I shot some footage in the same commercial kitchen with my 5D4 at CLOG/1080/60p and it matched my own 80D footage easily.

I haven't had the opportunity to really use the scientific method to figure out why things turned out the way they did, but I need to.

For the record, on the Moriah Pie segment:

Interviews: 80D-A -> 24-70/f4L IS at CLOG/1080/24p IPB
Gardening/Home Cooking: 80D-A ->  16-35/f4L IS at CLOG/1080/60p IPB
Commercial Cooking/morning meal (lens flares): 5D4 -> 35mm/f2 IS at CLOG/1080/60p IPB
Commercial Cooking/evening food service: 80D-B -> 40mm/f2.8 STM at CLOG/1080/24p IPB

So, I'm thus far enjoying EOSHD C-LOG and just need to figure out what I'm doing wrong on one of these cameras. I will be using EOSHD C-LOG on a fleet of rented 1DX2s in the very near future!

Cheers,

JP

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm doing a research about the LOG curves most used in the market to use for my classes.

As far as I could go, I got these reference levels.

I need to find out the EOS HD C-Log and Cinestyle curves. Someone has theses values for these two "LOG" Picture Profiles

And the white clip level for S-Logs from sony, didn't find them too.

THIS WAS MY TEST:

IRE TABLE RELATION AS FAR I COULD GET: https://ibb.co/epY1yQ

Canon Neutral Profile exposed at EV=0 - 18% Midle Gray (IRE20%)
54% at spotmeter
https://ibb.co/f0XGXk

Canon Neutral Profile exposed at EV=0 - 90% White (IRE 100%)
97% at spotmeter
https://ibb.co/bDvs55

C-Log Profile exposed at EV=0 - 18% Midle Gray (IRE20%)
43% at spotmeter
https://ibb.co/jdCTdQ

C-Log Profile exposed at EV=0 - 90% White (IRE 100%)
80% at spotmeter
https://ibb.co/eATek5

C-Log Profile exposed at EV=+2/3 (2/3 stop overexposed) - 18% Midle Gray (IRE20%)
50% at spotmeter
https://ibb.co/kNNTdQ

C-Log Profile exposed at EV=+2/3 (2/3 stop overexposed) - 90% White (IRE 100%)
90% at spotmeter
https://ibb.co/k8ZkQ5

Based on these tests and the ETTR method, looking the histograms, I can set as a right exposure for C-Log for example the 2/3 stops over.

So, based on that would be:

18% Gray IRE 20% - C-Log at 50% to 52% aprox.
90% White IRE 100% - C-Log at 90%

Am I right?

On the other hand, not using ETTR, I would have:

18% Gray IRE 20% - C-Log at 42% aprox.
90% White IRE 100% - C-Log at 80%

So what you guys would say is the best option?

Andrew could help here?

On 6/21/2017 at 10:32 AM, DaveAltizer said:

Just did a non scientific test with all of the picture profiles included in the pack from Andrew. This test was done from a "vloggers" perspective using the 80D. I came away really liking the Cine 4 profile. 

Good test, any chance of a side by side with 80D and eoshd c-log vs 1DC cLog... graded and ungraded. 

And I wouldn't hate if it is 1080p vs 4K.

But I would like to see all-i 1080p from the 80D.

• 2 weeks later...

hopefully someone can help me!

first off, i am new to this forum and this is my first post!

ive recently purchest these profiles for my Canon 5D Mark iv and they look great in camera, i just have a problem when im importing the photos into PictureStyle Editor or Lightroom.

When i try to load the RAW pic into PictureStyle Editor i get a message "this image was shot with user def. 2 picture style. the picture style will changed to standard before loading it"

The profile resets and i then try to manually load the pf3 file and i get an message "cant load image. subsequent editing is disabled for this file"

Also when trying to load the RAW files into lightroom, the profile resets to stanfard.

i am running PictureStyle Version 1.18.30.0

thanks! :grin:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2016 at 1:28 PM, Andrew Reid said:

eoshd-pp-ad-front.jpg

eoshd-clog-profile-lcd.jpg

c-log-histogram.jpg

Download now for just $19.99 ($29.99 usual price)

The EOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles Pack is now available and works in both video and stills mode - on all Canon DSLRs.

Crafted using my Canon 1D C as a development camera, the EOSHD Film Profiles pack installs "Canon LOG" to cameras previously without it, plus a range of film simulation modes to DSLRs such as the 5D Mark IV, 5D Mark III, 1D X Mark II and T2i, etc.

Read the full article

Andrew, hi. I want to buy and download the CLog for my 5div , bit i cannot find the guide. I understand it is via usb, that means the tethering cable. I don't even know where i put that, why cannot be done with the sd card? Isn't the same thing?

• Administrators

The guide comes with it, when you buy it.

The USB cable goes in the USB port of your camera to connect it to your computer. You can't load picture profiles onto the SD card and do it like that, has to go through Canon's software.

It's very simple, you will do it. Just read the guide and the camera manual.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Ried, 

I bought a new canon 5d4 without Canon Log because i like to shoot my video with AV mode. ( C-log only available in Manual mode).

Then i purchased your EOSHD C-log. When i try to install it (through Canon Ultility 3), it keeps saying " unsupported format file". What can i do ??? 

I think it might be because of the new Canon 1.0.4 firmware. 

Please give me some advice, otherwise i just lost $20 for nothing. Thanks

On 12/18/2017 at 12:43 AM, Truong Thắng said:

No answer ???

I wrote you email, no answer

I post on your facebook, no answer

i ask in forum, no answer

Lol, this must be a joke. I purchased and couldn't use !

No it is not a joke. Not only you paid for something you cannot use, but it is a very dangerous file and your computer will auto destroy in 24H.