EOSHD C-LOG

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Finally had the time to post some results. 

Here are some before and after shots using Andrew's C-Log. 

This was shot incorrectly, though. I used very high ISOs to brighten the image.

Instead, in his included guide Andrew recommends using a very low ISO and exposing for the highlights.

Afterwards, ideally, you can bring up the shadows in post. 

Gear used: 7D Mark II, 17-50 F2.8 at F8, 30 fps and ISOs in the 8000 range (lots of mosquito noise when seen at fullscreen size)

In post I just used a bit of Film Convert and bumped up the saturation. 

Notice the shadows below the tree trunks. Those would never be visible with Canon's standard profiles. So overall very happy with the results,

taking into account this is a bit of a torture test for an 8-bit codec.

Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 9.38.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 9.35.32 AM.png

55 minutes ago, Eduardo Portas said:

Finally had the time to post some results. 

Here are some before and after shots using Andrew's C-Log. 

This was shot incorrectly, though. I used very high ISOs to brighten the image.

Instead, in his included guide Andrew recommends using a very low ISO and exposing for the highlights.

Afterwards, ideally, you can bring up the shadows in post. 

Gear used: 7D Mark II, 17-50 F2.8 at F8, 30 fps and ISOs in the 8000 range (lots of mosquito noise when seen at fullscreen size)

In post I just used a bit of Film Convert and bumped up the saturation. 

Notice the shadows below the tree trunks. Those would never be visible with Canon's standard profiles. So overall very happy with the results,

taking into account this is a bit of a torture test for an 8-bit codec.

Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 9.38.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 9.35.32 AM.png

Looks pretty good to me.

When Reid-Log came out, I was considering investing in a Canon DSLR to go along with my XC10 and I wanted to see how his profile would match with actual C-Log, I came across a dirt cheap eos-m10, so I bought it for the tests and I really like his profile. Since then, I decided to go another route with a Nikon DSLR and use the XC10 as a sole S16 capturing system for run and gun, but even though I've decided to go the Nikon DSLR route, I am going to keep the eos-m10 just to use as a pocket cam with Reid's profile. 

Seems like I need to unlock posting privileges somehow.. I tried posting this as a thread a few days back and it's still pending:

This one's for Andrew (tried twitter a number of times).
I've been shooting with the Chrome look for the past few weeks on my 1DXII (even just finished shooting a complete Tourism Philippines campaign with it, I love the look so much).
I there a way that I can shoot your EOSHD C-LOG and apply a LUT in post to get the Chrome look that you created? I don't mind it terribly that I'm locking myself to the Chrome look but for the future it would be nice to be able to apply the look in post. Hope I'm making sense.
Same goes for a RAW edit preset in Lightroom. I've come very close to replicating it as a preset but having it from you straight so it's the exact same would be even better.
Happy to pay for develop time if needed.
Thanks for reading,

Matthew - @matjoez

On 10/29/2016 at 11:16 AM, mercer said:

Looks pretty good to me.

When Reid-Log came out, I was considering investing in a Canon DSLR to go along with my XC10 and I wanted to see how his profile would match with actual C-Log, I came across a dirt cheap eos-m10, so I bought it for the tests and I really like his profile. Since then, I decided to go another route with a Nikon DSLR and use the XC10 as a sole S16 capturing system for run and gun, but even though I've decided to go the Nikon DSLR route, I am going to keep the eos-m10 just to use as a pocket cam with Reid's profile. 

Cheers, I hear you can get pretty good results out of the diminutive EOS-M10.

At least that's what my wedding-filming buddies use day-in-day-out and are still in bussinnes ;] 

5 minutes ago, tweak said:

Not really sure why you would buy an m10 over an m1 though... is there some benefit to that?

The m10 has peaking... Probably the best focus peaking I have ever used and it has a tilt screen. I actually have an m1 too but it's seen better days.

7 minutes ago, mercer said:

The m10 has peaking... Probably the best focus peaking I have ever used and it has a tilt screen. I actually have an m1 too but it's seen better days.

Flip screen would be nice, but not having ML is a massive deal breaker for me.

Yeah, ML on the eos-m is kinda cool. I could never find an effective way to remove the pink dots, so raw  on it was unbelievably frustrating. The 3x crop mode was cool for my c-mount lenses, but I noticed very little benefit with the 3x bitrate, so I found ML to be too limiting to make a real difference. 

If you go to ML site there is great tools now for eliminating Pink dots, they work well. I don't bother really as i have a 7D anyway. For me the bigger bitrate made a difference in complex scenes and grading so I think it's worth having, especially now C-log is also an option.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

I've downloaded the Log/Lut pack but once in EOS Utility and into preference I can't click any of the options in there, all the options including "Register Picture Style File" are greyed out. Has anyone else run into that? Canon 1DX Mii connected to computer through EOS Utility 3.5.0 running OS Sierra 10.12.1

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 12.35.42 PM.png