EOSHD C-LOG

Andrew Reid

11 hours ago, Asmundma said:

Did you test against a standard Canon picture profiles?  As shown here, the highlights are burned and the value of the c-log is questionable. Still to see if we can squeeze more dynamic range out of it. Actually, you may lose color information. i.e. if you want vivid colors.   

Makes sense as a concern. I thought the dynamic range was identical to prolost flat on my t3i. But clog was better for colors when grading, and it's definitely looking better for LUTs too. Regardless, the cine picture profiles and LUTs are easily worth $10.. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 hours ago, alvinlu said:

screen grab of something I shot today at my friend's bbq. I didn't check for exposure nor white balance prior so color correction was more of a pain since I had to use some reference of what I remembered seeing that day. Then added a m31 lut from vision-color. 

Gear Used;

Canon 60D

Sigma 18-35 F/1.8

SLR Magic Variable ND MKII 82mm

clog1.png

clog2.png

clog3.png

I purchased it last week and I'm very happy!
I love the resutl in skin tones!!

@Andrew Reid
 Thank you very much!!

@alvinlu

This is your same screen grab with my color corrections :)

clog1_FRD.jpg

clog1_mod_vF2_3.jpg

I finally go to take this beast out into the wild. I'm most amazed with the autofocus capabilities, coupled with the EOSHD.com C-LOG picture profile. I ran the cam on my DJI Ronin-m with a 50mm at F1.2... Just for this, I may consider adding the mkIV to my bag. If the DR was just a little bit better, I'd be completely sold.

Cam Settings
- 1080/60p
- EOS HD CLOG Picture Profile
- 125 Shutter
- F1.2
- Tiffen Variable ND Filter
- DJI Ronin-M
- Graded with FCPX Color Finale + EOS HD Cine Lut

Did a revisit on my grading of the clips easier in this tread. I did not clip the highlights and was wondering if the colour information still was in the clips. By not using any LUT only grading, but now used the vector based grading in Colour Finale (the last clips), I was able to recover more then in versjon 1. I not sure at all if we get any more dynamic range using the clog picture style vs the standard - too me it looks the same. So when using clog or similar may only help if you want to adjust to another camera - as it may be easier to get the same look, or if one want a special look it may pay off to use the logs. (as you reduce the sharpening and saturation.)

47 minutes ago, tweak said:

I think so.

Thanks, I hope so. I want to do some tests before I decide on my next camera purchase. I love the XC10, but I really need a larger sensor camera for close ups. After seeing footage shot with the 80D and seeing the high bitrate video specs, I was hoping the M5 would share the video specs of the 80D, since it shares the same sensor. But with Canon being Canon, that isn't the case. So it looks like I may be going with the 80D, but I want to do some tests with a cheaper cam to see if I can get the two cameras looking similar with Andrew's profile before I buy the 80D. 

Hey! I recently shot a fashion event with a 7D mkII and a 60D and used your C-log pack! Here is a quick comparison of c-log ungraded and then graded with CINE 2 LUT (with a bit of tweaking). More screengrabs to come when I finish grading & editing. I'll also post a link when the vid will go public. For now not finished yet.

fashion shoot2_1.91.2.pngfashion shoot2_1.91.3.png

I gotta say, I'm not sure if it's the Log emulation or Andrew's LUTs (probably the latter) but it really looks like the net effect here is converting Canon color to something that looks more Sony-ish: low-contrast & desaturated (because you can't make the 8-bit flat colors 'pop', and odd brick-color skintones (def the lut). 

3 hours ago, voyagervideo said:

I gotta say, I'm not sure if it's the Log emulation or Andrew's LUTs (probably the latter) but it really looks like the net effect here is converting Canon color to something that looks more Sony-ish: low-contrast & desaturated (because you can't make the 8-bit flat colors 'pop', and odd brick-color skintones (def the lut). 

You probably right. If you want to preserve Canon color stay with the regular picture styles. I have now tested for a week on the 1dx2 and must say I really like what I get out of the 1dx2 (no reason to destroy with a "clog" profile that does not improve the dynamic range), better then my A7x2 at the cost of 5 times files size. Only 10% to save by converting to ProRes so that not a good idea. 

35 minutes ago, Asmundma said:

You probably right. If you want to preserve Canon color stay with the regular picture styles. I have now tested for a week on the 1dx2 and must say I really like what I get out of the 1dx2 (no reason to destroy with a "clog" profile that does not improve the dynamic range), better then my A7x2 at the cost of 5 times files size. Only 10% to save by converting to ProRes so that not a good idea. 

10% is a lot plus ProRes is a great intermediate codec. If you're using a Mac with EditReady, there are so many other benefits to transcoding the footage to ProRes before you bring it into your NLE.

Also, I haven't used Andrew's C-Log yet, but we must remember the Canon's are still limited for their grading. I believe you will get some more shadow and highlight info, but you still want to get your exposure and WB pretty spot on in camera. And you definitely do not want to ETTR with them... if anything you may get better results underexposing a hair and bringing it up in post.