BMPCC 2.5k or RED MX

enny

I am looking for new camera that shoots RAW for personal projects and some vfx work all personal projects until i can start looking for clients with the work that i have. I was looking at used red mx cameras but downside is its heavy and old and not support but still shoots great 4k images my fear is the size plus renting PL lenses all round 4-5k for full package. I was also looking at BMCC 2.5k i can get ready to shoot for less then 2k plus  full resolve.

Iam leaning toward BMPCC 2.5k i have Contax Yashica Lens to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster do i get MFT or EF for my speedboster to work on 2.5 black magic and when adding speedboster what would be the crop size? how close to super 35.

I mean do i need to have pro camera like red or do i have to shoot 4k at all to get pro looking images is 2.5 enough and is BMCC still good camera

My budget is around 4k Canadian what would you guys do.

I am actually looking to buy one tonight so looking for lots of opinions

Thanks guys

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

First off, don't buy one tonight. Spending 4k shouldn't be done on a whim. Take time to consider your options.

The Red One MX shouldn't be considered if your looking to do stuff in a commercial context as it is huge and will be a PITA logistically.

If you already have a CY to MFT speedbooster you could use that with a MFT BMCC 2.5k and have a 1.7 crop factor. This is pretty close to S35, but you would have to use only CY glass which is great glass, but expensive and slow at the wide end. You should probably just sell your speedbooster and put it towards your budget as it is going to be very limiting to only be able to use CY glass if you want to use the SB.

You don't need 4k for professional looking images. It is more important what is in front of the camera and who is operating the camera. Don't hesitate to consider 1080p cameras. If someone insist on 4k you can always rent another camera.

Does your budget need to include lenses? Because this is

Do you need raw? And do you have a computer that can handle a raw workflow if you do?

If you are fine without RAW and cool with 1080p then I would recommend either a C100 Mark i or a BMPCC (or BMMCC) w speedbooster lens wise if you need one I would go with a Canon 17-55 2.8 EFS and some sort of long zoom maybe a CY 80-200 F4

The C100 is 800,000 times better than the black magic from a usability and workflow perspective and will motivate you to get out and shoot as dealing with the footage and using the camera is relatively easy. If you are doing mostly commercial stuff I would recommend this option.

The BMPCC w a speedbooster is a spectacular option as well, though not as streamlined.

The reason I don't reccomend the BMCC 2.5k w speedbooster is that it is hard to control EF lenses w an electronic aperture.

Hope this helps good luck

Hi there thanks for that info to answer some of you guestions I have comp that handle raw I already have  bmpcc with set of yashica ml prime lenses 2.8 old ones no auto manual. I am looking for bit  more resolution and something closer to s35 thanks 

What i decided is to stay away from red mx since its dam big to handle but to get BMCC 2.5k with speedboster that ialredy have with my yashica ml prime lenses 2.8 this will give me close to s35mm plus 2.5k resolution. I believe this to be good choice for me.

Thanks again much apriciated

Check this out. I just picked up a BMCC MFT 2.5K and put a spare BMPCC speedbooster on it. 1.39x crop.

vZk1lKR.jpg

Here is a FOV comparison between the BMPCC and BMCC. same pocket speed booster, same 28mm full frae lens. this set-up *does* require the use of full frame lenses by the way. aps-c will vignette.

v7gcEvq.jpg

1 hour ago, Zak Forsman said:

Check this out. I just picked up a BMCC MFT 2.5K and put a spare BMPCC speedbooster on it. 1.39x crop.

vZk1lKR.jpg

Here is a FOV comparison between the BMPCC and BMCC. same pocket speed booster, same 28mm full frae lens. this set-up *does* require the use of full frame lenses by the way. aps-c will vignette.

v7gcEvq.jpg

Thanks Zak i have yahsica Ml 2.8 lenses they are full frame so basically my Contax Yashica Lens to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster will work on MFT BMCC and not EF just to get this clear, i am buying BMCC tomorrow and was thinking do i need whole new speed booster specially made for BMCC or will my old one work just fine. And i can see big difference in pocket and BMCC with SB so much room

Thanks Again Zak much appreciated dude

Get yourself a Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera. The more compact form factor, 60fps slow motions, are all big gains over the BMCC. (2.5K is only in raw from the BMCC, at all other times it is 1080 same as BMPCC/BMMCC(

Get native mount lenses (such as the T0.95 lenses from SLR Magic) or use a focal reducer (for near FoV of S35).

(reference: I own a BMPCC, shot part of a feature film with a RED One MX, and use a BMCC as well)

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Get yourself a Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera. The more compact form factor, 60fps slow motions, are all big gains over the BMCC. (2.5K is only in raw from the BMCC, at all other times it is 1080 same as BMPCC/BMMCC(

Get native mount lenses (such as the T0.95 lenses from SLR Magic) or use a focal reducer (for near FoV of S35).

(reference: I own a BMPCC, shot part of a feature film with a RED One MX, and use a BMCC as well)

Thanks but i am looking for 2.5 raw and dont care about slow motion at all and dont have money to spend on new lenses working with what i have

16 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Why 2.5K raw? It is a very oddball number!

What lenses do you have currently? 

I already have bmpcc with CY Lens to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster its great camera but i am looking for something closer to s35 and bigger resolution since i am also doing some VFX and on my 2k budget this camera will do me good. I Only do personal controlled projects. I also have Yashica ML set of prime lenses full frame 2.8. I was looking at this review and this guy knows his stuff. And I love working with raw files color vfx ect. And under 2k i can get BMCC fully loaded with resolve on eBay or local not bad deal for great camera

Personally I feel the sensor size (especially once combined with a focal reducer) and resolution between a BMCC and BMPCC/BMMCC is so minimumal it is not worth giving up all the benefits of a smaller size AND paying more for a BMCC! It is a lose-lose proposition. 

30 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Personally I feel the sensor size (especially once combined with a focal reducer) and resolution between a BMCC and BMPCC/BMMCC is so minimumal it is not worth giving up all the benefits of a smaller size AND paying more for a BMCC! It is a lose-lose proposition. 

resolution between 1080 and 2.5k? i there a really big difference specially raw

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

dont you think BMDCC is better. Shooting 2.5k Raw on a bigger sensor and then reducing down to 1080 gives you a much cleaner image than the Pocket camera's 16mm sensor shooting direct to 1080. The BMDCC's larger sensor also makes it easier to get shallow depth of field and bokeh.

While looking at tons of review videos i can tell that BMCC is more sharp then BMPCC when shooting2.5k and down scaling to 1080. Just take a look at the roof shingles they are much sharper in BMCC 1080 then pocket and trees in pocket are really soft then BMCC. I am not a pro just what i see

001.jpg

7 hours ago, enny said:

resolution between 1080 and 2.5k? i there a really big difference specially raw

Not really, no.

Yes perhaps you can pick it out sometimes in side by side tests but practically speaking that never happens in reality. So in real life usage it would be almost close to impossible to tell the difference. 

And ditto there is no real notable difference between the two in terms of control over DoF.

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Not really, no.

Yes perhaps you can pick it out sometimes in side by side tests but practically speaking that never happens in reality. So in real life usage it would be almost close to impossible to tell the difference. 

And ditto there is no real notable difference between the two in terms of control over DoF.

Not trying to be an ass but i think you are misinformed but you probably know more about cameras then me. But after watching this short its confirm it to me that BMCC is much sharper then BMPCC in 2.5k will upscale to UHD really nice and downscalin to 1080 like this video look dam good. And again Thanks for all your help all of you guys

So? What does a short shot with one camera say about another different camera? Not much, if anything at all. 

I think you are seriously overrating the one feature of the BMCC (2.5K raw), and radically underrate the lengthy list of pros of a BMPCC/BMMCC.

For example size, if you actually shoot with each other them you'll appreciate how much just that one factor can impact your shooting. Especially when shooting ultra low budget productions with a skeleton crew, then extra camera weight/size can truly limit yourself. You need a totally different level of support gear and more when it comes to tripod/monopod/gimbal/steadicam/car-rig/sliders/etc. & that is just one example (slow motion, electronic mount, and lower costs, are just a few of the others)

Anyway, go ahead and get a BMCC MFT (****NOT**** an EF mount!!!) if you must, is still a damn fine camera :)

• 4 years later...
On 9/4/2016 at 8:29 AM, Zak Forsman said:

http://i.imgur.com/vZk1lKR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/v7gcEvq.jpg

Hi, I know this is old post, but wanted to ask if you get any signs of vignette or image degradation on the corners using a BMPCC speedbooster (0.58x) on a BMCC? I have a BMCC and I had an XL speedbooster (0.64x) but sold it. I'm looking into the BMPCC speedbooster, but I have those concerns. Thanks!