All Canon cameras gets Custom C-Log Profile

BrorSvensson

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, BrorSvensson said:

sorry for that, i thought i knew more than i did!

Lol.  Not the crime of the century, just a sensitive topic.

Leaving out the beefier codec in the 1DC, consumer grade Canon DSLRs have a pretty thin 8 bit codec.  It does not hold up well with a bunch of pushing and pulling.  Various color profiles have been peddled for years and ultimately I abandoned my T3i for video and now us a BMPCC.  It is a whole different beast.  It has a true log profile in a 10 bit 4:2:2 wrapper and of course it also has raw.

I don't know what the exact technical difference is between a log profile and a general run of the mill flat profile but I do know I wasted a lot of time with the latter.

• Administrators

I am working on one of these as well.

The 1D C is a great test bed as it as the real thing, Canon LOG

The dynamic range won't be as good as real C-LOG but the main reason I like LOG is for the colour grading and LUT possibilities it gives you in post, whereas standard pic profiles are baked in.

If you're going to have a faux LOG profile it has to give good colour and work with most LUTs already out there for Canon LOG - even if that means going less flat and sacrificing some dynamic range.

5 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am working on one of these as well.

The 1D C is a great test bed as it as the real thing, Canon LOG

The dynamic range won't be as good as real C-LOG but the main reason I like LOG is for the colour grading and LUT possibilities it gives you in post, whereas standard pic profiles are baked in.

If you're going to have a faux LOG profile it has to give good colour and work with most LUTs already out there for Canon LOG - even if that means going less flat and sacrificing some dynamic range.

sounds really cool!

1 hour ago, jcs said:

You can't make a real CLog profile, just an S-curve to try to emulate it. I wasn't happy with what it does to colors and messing around in post to look good, so I stopped using it. I tried this back in May on the 1DX II.

When Philip Bloom asked for my Clog picture style today, I went back into the Canon Picture Style editor and removed all the color changes I had made, and now it's only a gamma curve with contrast at -4 (sharpness off and saturation at 0 (not taken down or raised)). http://brightland.com/t/1DX2_JLOG2f.pf3.zip . Note that the results are very similar to the ancient Technicolor CineStyle (which I also tested on the 1DX II- think I like just Standard with contrast at -4, sharpness and saturation at 0 the best so far vs CLog emulation: less surprises in post (might still be useful outdoors and other very high DR shots)). 

1 hour ago, Luke Mason said:

C-Log is not merely a gamma curve, it maps colour differently (within BT709/BT601 color space in the case of 1DX II/1DC)

Not really an issue here- the goal is maximizing DR, a simple curve can be used in post to set final contrast/levels.

22 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

Again, it's impossible to get the highlight roll-off from real C-Log by using picture profile.

No one's disputing that. By pulling highlights and boosting shadows with an s-curve, it's possible to expose to protect the highlights without losing the shadows before compression. If cases where highlights can be protected via underexposure and shadows can be lifted in post (which is probably the case with the 1DX II), this technique is not worth the effort.

The 1DX II could really benefit from proper C-LOG. It's the only reason which prevents me from using it. I was hoping it would be possible to somehow hack C-log out of a C-series camera and upload it as a hack onto a 1 DX II. Probably not.  

I also think the James Miller Deluts are a bit more miss than hit. A lot of the LUTS seem very aggressive and the shadows seem to be largely greyed out with no detail. Seems like the S-curve at the bottom end, and sometimes at the top end is in a weird place for my tastes. Plus it's difficult to adjust the LUT to taste once it has been implemented. 

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

Again, it's impossible to get the highlight roll-off from real C-Log by using picture profile.

That is correct.

However the main point of C-LOG for me is the LUT workflow. If you can get a custom LOG-style profile that is as close to the real LOG curve as possible it gives you that. Very big advantage and would make me trade my 1D C for the 1D X Mark II. I really want the Dual Pixel AF.