NEW Zeiss Cine Zoom

AaronChicago

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Been hearing about this lens all day. Let's just say I am extremely tempted. Seems like a lot of real cinema glass all in 1 $10k lens. Covers every focal range I use. And I typically shoot at F4 anyway. Other than cost, why wouldn't you buy this lens? 

Question, since this lens can be fitted with nearly any mount, is there a reason you couldn't fit it with the Nikon F mount, and then speedboost it to a Sony E mount and make it a T1.9 or whatever?

3 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Been hearing about this lens all day. Let's just say I am extremely tempted. Seems like a lot of real cinema glass all in 1 $10k lens. Covers every focal range I use. And I typically shoot at F4 anyway. Other than cost, why wouldn't you buy this lens? 

Question, since this lens can be fitted with nearly any mount, is there a reason you couldn't fit it with the Nikon F mount, and then speedboost it to a Sony E mount and make it a T1.9 or whatever?

It might vignette at the wide end but it would definitely give you around a T1.9

4 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

It might vignette at the wide end but it would definitely give you around a T1.9

I trust your judgement, but I have to ask, why would it vignette? If the lens is designed for F mount, and the speedbooster has a tendency to minimize vignetting, what would be the source of the vignette? Btw the E mount I'd be looking at would be the FS7. So S35. 

13 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Agreed, I want to see a Rokinon Cine DS 18-85mm T4 S35 lens at a rock bottom low price!

Has Rokinon made a zoom yet?

28 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I trust your judgement, but I have to ask, why would it vignette? If the lens is designed for F mount, and the speedbooster has a tendency to minimize vignetting, what would be the source of the vignette? Btw the E mount I'd be looking at would be the FS7. So S35. 

Because the lens only covers S35 to begin with (F mount only describes the mount, not the image circle. There are many APS-C lenses in F mount, too), not "Full Frame". If you want to speed boost it, you have to go to a format smaller than APS-C, i.e. M43 or S16.

11 minutes ago, Phil A said:

Because the lens only covers S35 to begin with, not "Full Frame". If you want to speed boost it, you have to go to a format smaller than APS-C, i.e. M43 or S16.

Got it. So, I wonder at which focal length it'll stop vignetting? Since its 35mm equivalent is roughly 32-150, I wonder if the vignetting would go away around the low 30's, giving you the same wide fov, but with more light and shallower dof. 

Someone please buy this lens and test it for me. ?

35 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

If it's normally 21-100 mm on Super 35, then Speedboosted I'm guessing it would be around 16-85 (I'm ballparking here). So it would essentially give you 21-85 without vignetting. So you really wouldn't gain anything on the wide end, but you'd gain more light with T1.9.

Yah. That's exactly what I was thinking. You don't really gain fov on the wide end, but you do gain more light and shallow dof.

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, sudopera said:

I know that this is probably a great lens with a good price for a cinema zoom, but for a similar price those new Angenieux zooms seem like a much better proposition.

Given my love for the Tokina 28-70 (Angenieux design) This lens is a dream, would shoot an entire film on just this.

• 2 weeks later...
On September 13, 2016 at 2:39 PM, sudopera said:

I know that this is probably a great lens with a good price for a cinema zoom, but for a similar price those new Angenieux zooms seem like a much better proposition.

With these Angie zooms, because they have the interchangeable rear optical elements, would the s35 lens version outperform the FF lens version + speedbooster combo? FOV would be the same and the amount of light coming in is essentially the same but the FF lens +speedbooster combo would be introducing an extra piece of glass in the speedbooster right? My thought is that this lens design with interchangeable rear optical blocks makes s35 to FF speedboosters unnecessary... or rather does a better job? :glasses:

2 hours ago, Kurtisso said:

With these Angie zooms, because they have the interchangeable rear optical elements, would the s35 lens version outperform the FF lens version + speedbooster combo? FOV would be the same and the amount of light coming in is essentially the same but the FF lens +speedbooster combo would be introducing an extra piece of glass in the speedbooster right? My thought is that this lens design with interchangeable rear optical blocks makes s35 to FF speedboosters unnecessary... or rather does a better job? :glasses:

The only benefit of a speedbooster in this scenario would be if the FF version of the lens is also a T2, then with SB it would behave more like 30-90 T1.4. Since the FF version is slower than S35 version, then there is no point in using a speedbooster because as you said, you just add more unnecessary glass to get the same result.