C700 and XC15 announcement

photographer-at-large

4 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Global shutter option too... and if you are to mention the Panasonic colour science, i think it's only fair to give that as a plus for Canon.

True. But then, it's not like we're talking C300 vs  A7s type colour. You're looking at an F55 with it's F65-style colour gamut, colour science and DR, Panasonic with it's great colour science and gamut, Alexa with it's amazing colour and dynamic range...

Compared to that, I wouldn't say Canon colour science is necessarily a big plus over everyone else. Sure, it's a plus - but it's a plus for the other guys as well. RED maybe has the disadvantage (maybe) but you're getting raw internally, so the 'issue' is negated a bit, especially considering you're surely grading your gear properly if you're looking at that level.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

It's not breaking alot of new ground, i don't think many $20k+ cameras ever will from here on in.... Now it is just a case of choosing your preferred image and workflow, unless you really need things like 8K or HFR at 4K.

True

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
31 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Arri don't have internal raw either.... If the ProRes is good enough, most people don't seem bothered.

The Alexa Mini can do internal raw.

30k for a camera that can't do what a hacked 5D MK3 can do, what a joke Canon is.

It looks....nice. But not really a winner. There aren't many distinguishing characteristics, and the body design looks very derivative. It looks like the Varicam 35 and the Sony F55 had a baby, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I was hoping for something more akin to a Canon XL2 in terms of shape. And at the price, it's just way too easy to step up to an Amira. Hell, you can have a used Alexa with a 4:3 sensor for that price and be shooting on the best camera on the planet.

I'm sure it shoots a pretty image though. We'll see if that and the hallowed Canon name is enough to move units.

12 minutes ago, BrooklynDan said:

It looks like the Varicam 35 and the Sony F55 had a baby

Don't forget the URSA ;) 

I dunno, sometimes it's better business sense to double down on doing the things you're already doing the best you can do them, rather than trying out new territory...

I would've thought that doubling down and feature packing the C100 and C300 mkII's, in order to go hard against Sony would end up moving more units, and making more money for Canon than introducing a highly expensive high-end camera in an already over-crowded high-end camera market.

But hey, who knows.

Just got the CVP heads-up in, the pictures in it showed it as more of a broadcast kinda set-up camera.

C700-ENG-use.jpg

That seems to make more sense for this puppy. Professional event coverage or something, with quick turnarounds. It looks nice for that, but what cinema cameras concerned there indeed are a lot of options out there that seem better suited at a more sensible price.

I hope they include waveform in an XC10 firmware update.

1 hour ago, Thpriest said:

So in theory it has the same AF as the XC10? I see in the Danish video the XC15 has face tracking. Does the XC10 have it too?

So it's a good upgrade if you really need the sound but if you don't....probably not worth it?

Yeah, the XC10 has face tracking. It works great too, even with push AF. 

• Super Members

You guys are surprised about the xc15? Why? You already knew this.

Its a xx5 update. Usually that means an SDI port and nothing else. And now its all of a sudden a surprise. Find it strange.

As I see it the audio port was all it should have gotten. Waveform is a huge bonus.

I don't know anymore. People get happy, angry and sad over weird features these days. Same when a new camera (forgot which) had moved the mic jack away from the screen. People where upset even though it's a massive deal. It makes rotating screens actually rotatable. And instead they go apeshit over some bogus feature.

I mean I get it. I got as much G.A.S as the next guy. But Im not emotional and I don't get all psychotic demanding this and that for free, calling people idiots or lay awake at night because of a frame rate.

This whole looking at gear and hanging out on forums is imo supposed to be fun and relaxing. Don't get heart attacks over it. Bcause at the end of the day its just meaningless and stupid cameras.

And professionally none of us "need" anything that isn't already out there to do our job.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/news/unveiled-canon-xc15-upgraded-follow-xc10

- New color matrix profiles

- New Highlight Priority gamma that functions as an HDR setting for  high-contrast scenes

- Low-light performance has been improved

- Autofocus speed is now almost double the speed of previous versions and has three adjustable speeds.

Well, it does have "an eye catching red trigger button." Haha, who writes their copy. 

Some of the features that are touted in that article, the XC10 already has and there are a few nice minor improvements that I hope will funnel down to the xc10 in a few months.

So, did they discontinue the XC10 yet?

9 minutes ago, gatopardo said:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/news/unveiled-canon-xc15-upgraded-follow-xc10

- New Highlight Priority gamma that functions as an HDR setting for  high-contrast scenes

- Autofocus speed is now almost double the speed of previous versions and has three adjustable speeds.

5 hours ago, Ivanhurba said:

This could be very well Canon's homerun for high-end productions they were expecting to have. Looks good and complete. Sure, out of our range, but it looks they didn't skimp on anything and it's priced accordingly.

lol.....  RED does MORE for LESS.......

Canon is at least 3-4 years late with this camera, what a JOKE!

According to the just-released Film and Digital Times article, the C700 has a little bit of extra sensor real estate that is only available in 4.5K RAW. Effective image size is 28.9mm x 15.2mm. So while it is not a full height 18mm anamorphic-ready sensor like the Alexa, it does have a little bit of extra vertical dimension so that you can get more field of view out of your anamorphic lenses, much like on the Red Dragon 6K. It seems like it's only available when you attach the pricey Codex recorder on the back, so that's kind of a bummer. Hopefully they enable some sort of Pro Res 4:3 mode so we can utilize that extra height without having to pay for RAW.

Thanks Mercer! Do you have the GX85 and the XC10?

21 minutes ago, gatopardo said:

So are the low light and AF the same as or better than the XC10 with the latest firmware? Those are the big questions for me at least.

36 minutes ago, j.f.r. said:

lol.....  RED does MORE for LESS.......

Canon is at least 3-4 years late with this camera, what a JOKE!

Yea... the market was flooded with 4K 60p 15 stop DR low light DPAF great skintone cams back then!!

I will never ever own a c700 as the size doesn't suit my style, so won't lose any sleep about this launch. But it seems a nice camera.... unless you are thinking about a $30k camera and we're somehow banking on the c700 to shoot your masterpiece... why get worked up?