DPReview hype 5D Mark IV sensor dynamic range

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
45 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

No you wouldn't do it with any camera so why are we even considering the DPReview studio test as a true dynamic range test?

We're not. It's interesting to look at to get a bit of an idea of signal to noise ratio improvements. Sensor dynamic range tests are what they are: sensor dynamic range tests. There's lots of variables like testing methodologies, subjectivity, in camera processing, codec, log gammas, and post processing techniques that all together give the true available dynamic range. Most people believe the A7s and BMPCC have more dynamic range than the 5D Mark 3 raw mostly because of published figures they've seen. Back in the real world the 5D has the most finished graded range of the 3, and I only know that because I've extensively tested all 3.

• Administrators

Yes I agree it's interesting to look at the signal to noise ratio improvements.

The problem I have is when these are hyped as making a 'dramatic' creative difference to images, which is what the DPReview piece implies all the way through.

1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes I agree it's interesting to look at the signal to noise ratio improvements.

The problem I have is when these are hyped as making a 'dramatic' creative difference to images, which is what the DPReview piece implies all the way through.

You know how it is, it's all about the click bait these days. But even so, it was DP Review that alerted me to "ISO invariance", which makes a big difference to shooting technique.

We do not push 6EV. But we do sometimes push to the limit of the sensor in landscape photo. So the higher the limit the better room for creativity.

5DIV failed, even in DR. 
Can't wait to see how the next D750/D810 puts even more the 5D in the shadow

Impressed with the pentax K1, never heard it was that good in DR.

This is absolutely mind blowing. Look at this https://***URL removed***/news/2055527036/pentax-k-1-s-pixel-shift-challenges-medium-format-dynamic-range

And select in the DR tool replace std shutter with pixel shift. You get a DR that completely explodes the D810 and gives you totally usable 5/6EV push. Insane. 
Why do we dont hear more about this camera??? I want that in a camera with proper lens system. Wow....

2 hours ago, wolf33d said:

This is absolutely mind blowing. Look at this https://***URL removed***/news/2055527036/pentax-k-1-s-pixel-shift-challenges-medium-format-dynamic-range

And select in the DR tool replace std shutter with pixel shift. You get a DR that completely explodes the D810 and gives you totally usable 5/6EV push. Insane. 
Why do we dont hear more about this camera??? I want that in a camera with proper lens system. Wow....

Impressive indeed, but pixel shift works best when the subject is still. :)

Nobody push 6ev, but its what log profiles do, somehow. You expose to the highlight, camera lift the shadow, and put the whole thing in 8bit range. This test shows that D750/D810/K1 with log could be very capable 2k video cameras, because you could have near 14 stops of usable DR at clean ISO 6400. AND in 5Dmark4, if it had log, you shouldn't go beyond ISO 3200.