DPReview hype 5D Mark IV sensor dynamic range

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

"Dramatic dynamic range improvement"

"Back when we were briefed by Canon about its update to one of the most popular line of digital SLRs in existence, Canon told us that dynamic range was one of the top concerns of current 5D-series owners."

"A major leap forward"

https://***URL removed***/news/3229755227/canon-5d-mark-iv-brings-dramatic-dynamic-range-improvements-to-the-5d-line

So let's take a look at the reality behind the hype...

Oh hey it's their own test scene...

5div-dr2.jpg

+6EV shadow recovery on a shot exposed for the highlights

Samsung NX1 has it for breakfast

The A7R II turns up and has it with milk and tea

And the D750... 2 years old... Mentioned NOWHERE in the DPReview article, is an order of magnitude less noisy at +6EV recovery

All in all meaning the 5D Mark IV has less dynamic range than the Samsung NX1.

I double checked...

5dmkiv-dr.jpg

Yeah it does.

And that my friends is why in a nutshell I stopped being a writer for DPReview.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

In the studio test at least, the skin tones have gone to hell on the 5D Mark IV shot in the shadows too.

Which is why - for example - exposing for a window behind your actress and then pulling her out of 6 stops of dark shadows is a really really bad idea :)

Anyone interested in designing a REAL world DR test for EOSHD? I can start my own comparison catalogue

To be fair, they are only saying it is a massive improvement over other Canon's.

At the end, they do say this-

"How does the 5D Mark IV stack up against some of its other peers? Its performance is much better than any other offering from Canon, but it's still not quite as ISO-invariant as the Nikon D810 or D750 (refer back to widget above as you click links). You're unlikely to notice these differences from ISO 400 upward, but below ISO 400, the 5D Mark IV, while competitive, does fall slightly behind in performance".

I m not an apologist for DPR and think it is not so much what they have said as what they have NOT said.

• Administrators

It's not a "DRAMATIC" (their words) or MASSIVE (your word) improvement though!

It's tiny!

The 5D Mark III has 5 year old sensor tech, is it a dramatic surprise they have managed to squeeze out half a stop more dynamic range in 2016 with the mark 4!?

And the 70D has a fundamental sensor architecture / image quality that you can trace all the way back to 2009 with the original 7D and T2i :)

So DPR hyping the 80D and 5D Mark IV dynamic range improvement is just that... HYPE

42 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's tiny!

Erm

5D Mk3 100 ISO pushed 6 stops

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 10.20.02 am.png

5D Mk4 100 ISO pushed 6 stops

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 10.20.19 am.png

At 6400 ISO they look about the same except the MK4 is sharper than the MK3 and the D750. While it's not ISO invariant like the Nikons, it is a huge improvement over the Mk3, and that noise isn't hard to clean up in ACR. It's almost as resolute as the D810.

D750 6400 ISO

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 10.31.24 am.png

5D Mk4 6400 ISO

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 10.33.57 am.png

If you need to push any DSLR video 6 stops good luck with that.

Noise looks to be on par with the 1DxII up to 6400 ISO. I'll wait for the DXOmark figures, but I suspect a 1-1.5 stop DR improvement over the MK3, which would make it a great upgrade should Magic Lantern eventuate. It looks like it will be much better in low light than the Mk3.

5D Mk4 ISO 800 pushed 3 stops

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 11.30.41 am.png

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's tiny!

The 5D Mark III has 5 year old sensor tech, is it a dramatic surprise they have managed to squeeze out half a stop more dynamic range in 2016 with the mark 4!?

And the 70D has a fundamental sensor architecture / image quality that you can trace all the way back to 2009 with the original 7D and T2i :)

So DPR hyping the 80D and 5D Mark IV dynamic range improvement is just that... HYPE

They did say

"Compared to its predecessor, the 5D Mark III , this is a massive improvement" (with the word massive in italics)!

Otherwise I agree.

Aah too bad, I was hoping on at least 2 stops DR increase. Iso noise seems to have improved though, which is a good thing as the 5D III was a bit behind the A7S in low light. I was kinda hoping this was the camera to get when Magic lantern hacked it. But now even with a hack, it is not that much better then the 5D III. 

I will probably need to invest into a RED raven or kinefinity terra camera. As the A7S ii is not cutting it for me(codec, 8bit, color).