Kinefinity Terra is now shipping!

IronFilm

I spoke with them like 5 times at NAB, cool guys but there were some key issues. No sign of 5k Terra. Prores license not obtained. No idea when global shutter switch would be implemented. Little to no distribution. In the 5 months since NAB, which of those have been corrected?

If the 5k Terra were to come out tomorrow, where would you buy it from? Who would you contact if there was a problem? Would you be confident that the issues would be fixed in a timely manner?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
28 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I spoke with them like 5 times at NAB, cool guys but there were some key issues. No sign of 5k Terra. Prores license not obtained. No idea when global shutter switch would be implemented. Little to no distribution. In the 5 months since NAB, which of those have been corrected?

If the 5k Terra were to come out tomorrow, where would you buy it from? Who would you contact if there was a problem? Would you be confident that the issues would be fixed in a timely manner?

From the Kinefinity owners I've read about or heard from, it seems that they have excellent customer service. They are also an honest company and tell their customers the truth, which is a great relief after what has happened with that other budget camera manufacturer. Distribution issues aside, I have much more faith in Kinefinity than any other camera manufacturer in that price range and I'm sure the 5K version will be along shortly. The Apple ProRes certification is also really difficult to obtain, so maybe they will push that to a future firmware update.

Of course, everyone has to make a decision that meets his or her needs, budget, and production time constraints. If you require a camera right away, well then the Terra 5K is obviously not for you. In my case, I'm sitting on the Scarlet-W order/deposit whose allocation date is unknown but likely in early 2017 at the slow rate that Dragon production is going these days. This is despite the fact that I ordered months ago.

In which case, the Terra 5K is not a bad proposition, considering that the only other (new) 5K camera in this market is going to require the same kind of waiting period or more if you ordered one today.

On 03/09/2016 at 5:17 PM, Jonesy Jones said:

Hdvideoshop offers good service. I bought a Kinemax at the time of its release, there is a little more than a year. I had to return it to Berlin to add the sound block and its connections ...  I received it quickly!

Personally I would not hesitate to buy Terra 5k at HDvideoshop. They offer a very good service!

Terra 5K do slow motion without the need for pixel binning and although it seems CineForm will left his place to ProRes in the future ...! But on the other side with Prores, it will be possible to directly downscaler 5K to 2K and 6K to 4K with Kinestation transcoder!

It is a confirmed they've shipped a few units to their chinese customers, I guess they're just big boy commercial customers who are to bother to give us interesting tests to geek over. Anyway, is just the 6K version which is shipping at the moment. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Phil A said:

Also deja vu regarding the ProRes licensing state, on their Facebook page they have announced an active e-mount (did Sony really license that to them!?).

Either Sony licensed it to them, or it was never really locked by Sony (or they used it anyway :) ) . This is great news either way since the e-mount is currently the most adaptable mount as far as lens selection & sensor size. 

Once it starts shipping, the 5K Terra could be a very good alternative at $5K now that Ursa mini 4.6K will not get the global shutter.

59 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Either Sony licensed it to them, or it was never really locked by Sony (or they used it anyway :) ) . This is great news either way since the e-mount is currently the most adaptable mount as far as lens selection & sensor size. 

I was saying this would be a good idea not too long ago in a thread and everyone was quick to jump on me and tell me I was a fool because no one would ever do E-mount except Sony... Cool if true, E-mount makes a lot of sense for most low budget shooters.

I seriously considered the Kinemax...liked the image from that camera a lot...but found communication with both Beijing and Berlin a bit vague...not quite sure how else to put it....but if I was going to spend $10k on a camera, I was looking for more in terms of support and clear communication...I thought the image lovely though!

3 hours ago, tweak said:

I was saying this would be a good idea not too long ago in a thread and everyone was quick to jump on me and tell me I was a fool because no one would ever do E-mount except Sony... Cool if true, E-mount makes a lot of sense for most low budget shooters.

The licensing excuse is not the real reason that camera manufacturers don't provide shallow mounts.  M4/3 works fine for up to S35, and there must about 5 zillion ways for manufacturers to allow a female E-mount mount (or an EF-M mount) on their camera/adapters, while avoiding licensing problems.  One easy way is to simply provide a front plate with just screw holes and the end user can purchase the female e-mount separately.

I saw the Kinefinity e-mount adapter at NAB, and it is definitely the way for camera manufacturers to go -- provide a shallow mount (simple mount plates are best) and make adapters for every possible lens.

BMD's customer service hasn't exactly been stellar either, and they're native English speakers so not sure the comparison really holds water. To me, the advantages of the Terra cameras over BMD are the higher ISO, less FPN in the shadows, lighter weight, cheaper media, ability to add speed-boosters, and more lens mount options. The Ursas obviously have native RAW support via Resolve and faster shipping times. and the UM Pro has native ND which is huge. They're very even competitors in my book, all the way to their near-identical pricing.

Hi had a preorder on the 5k, canceled it and got a ursa mini 4.6k.
I had good experiences with blackmagic consumer services, they replaced my pocket in a week back then.

Having to ship your camera back and forth to china is a no go for me., If your BM camera break it s easy to replace/rent one to finish your production. If you plan to do serious work with your camera that something to consider.

I prefer the color science from Bm but the one from the terra is nice too.