Bloom Vs Andy

tomto

Andrew, why did you locked that thread? It was one of the most entertaining read for a long time and what drives the traffic. You could make a film about it :)

In this case I don't take sides and I think both of you are opinionated and have some axe to grind with one another. I think Andrew is more diplomatic and Bloom more too face and blunt. Not everyone agrees with Andrew's reviews or his views, me included and as for Bloom there are growing dislike of that guy of his primadonna attitude.

I'm not 100% sure why Bloom behave the way he is. It could be that he suddenly got famous very quickly and any percieved knock on his ability he get defensive. His recent outburst on another forum because several members dare ask questions about trying a diferent way of shooting with the BMCC while being supportive and polite really showed what he is like.

As an early adopter of dSLR, through his blogs he surrounded himself with army of fans taken in by his charm, knowledge (yes), a common touch and his English accent. Some of his adoring fans consider him as a role model. I say beware of who you foot worship. The best way to describe Bloom is that he throws a diva like hissy. Some of what Andrew says is correct and I've met people like that before.

An 8 bit 422 even if uncompressed cannot match 12 bit RAW let alone 13 stops of DR, not ever. Anyone who think otherwise is mental and Bloom is trying to change that view simply because of what?

Bloom would think that even a footage he shot with a mobile phone is worth many times more than others with an Alexa and that the quality of his filmmaking will automatically transends any deficiency of the mobile phone he used and people should simply accept that he his so damn good than the camera.

Having said that regardless of his understanding or bias Bloom does produce fantastic films that Andrew and many others couldn't live with. He didnt get were he is producing crap.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I haven't read the thread yet but I'v started to dislike PB lately.. It's hard to read his blog in between the 10,000 advertisements.. Also, h puts that ethics statement everywhere (and I may be wrong) but especially in the video of him talking about he switched to Adobe Premiere Pro he had the ethics statement above then the video (posted on (ADOBE'TV) an interview with someone from Adobe below and at the end of the video the Adobe logo pops up lol...... The ethics statement says he has no financial relationship with Adobe but somehow I don't think that video was made for Adobe'TV just out of the goodness of his heart, especially when he is so busy doing paid work. 

And if it was an independent and genuine review of the product it didn't need the the Adobe logo or Adobe interview.

What sort of person, especially one as busy as Philip (according to him working 90% of the year abroad) decides to contact a multi-million dollar company to ask them if he can help promote their product for free??

>Dear Adabe,

UR CS6 is bretty gud, I Philip Bloom would like to film a video review and do an interview FREE OF CHARGE to halp your trillian $$$ company promote ur softwear. Thanks P.Bloomy.

Not only that, if it were Adobe that contacted him who in their right mind would tell such a big company that you'd do it free of charge? Philip is a business man and a busy one at that, he's not going to do something for free for his time and effort.

Sure his reviews gets people to visit his website, but his other reviews don't end in logos or interviews from the company of the product he's reviewing.

I'm still trying to figure out this Philip Bloom thing, can someone help me out?

He travels all over the world shooting short subjects with no commercial appeal or hope for a return with $100K+ (thinking conservatively) in camera gear and lenses and such.  He's obviously doing something right but...this picture doesn't add up.

An 8 bit 422 even if uncompressed cannot match 12 bit RAW let alone 13 stops of DR, not ever. Anyone who think otherwise is mental and Bloom is trying to change that view simply because of what?

When exactly did Bloom say that 8 bit 4:2:2 would, in anyway, compete with 12 bit raw? How is he trying to change that view?

I like this site for some things, i like PB's site for some things..... I couldn't give 2 shits about the bickering and egos behind the info. But spreading FUD is no help to anyone.

I don't see any fault by Bloom.  Andrew stated and acknowledges competitive blogging, so why have a fit over another ''blogger'' that doesn't need to share ''original files,''  and for who's approval?  It's pretty obvious between these two bloggers who's doing what with footage.  My gripe is with anyone that disregards all aspects of filmmaking and narrows his/her mind to complete tech theory, which imo is better for those creating real films!   :P  

I'm curious as to what film school Andrew Reid actually went to or if any.  Reid's weird analogy about going to some actor's forum and talking about codecs, which was inspired by some VFX lurker, should then justify a strike-through for the word filmmaking on this site's header.  

But who cares really.  Let's see who goes far when discrediting the art of acting or directing and saying don't worry the camera is more important... lol     hence, ''filmmaking''  not general videography.  hence, ''filmmaking'' like this sites header.

8-bit 3:1:1 and some ice cream.

When exactly did Bloom say that 8 bit 4:2:2 would, in anyway, compete with 12 bit raw? How is he trying to change that view?

I like this site for some things, i like PB's site for some things..... I couldn't give 2 shits about the bickering and egos behind the info. But spreading FUD is no help to anyone.

I see one of Bloom's minions is here. Sorry to shatter your illusion but I'm afraid your hero worship made you blind.

1DC is 8bit 422. It is not quite a rosey as your hero paint it to be. He said it has more detail than BMCC but all I see is plastic looking footage, as for banding it is there and he admit it but still don't want others critical of the same thing he freely admit.

in your hero's view only he, Philip Bloom can comment and be critical about his own stuff which is above criticism for anyone else. You seem to buy into his mindset.

I see one of Bloom's minions is here. Sorry to shatter your illusion but I'm afraid your hero worship made you blind.

1DC is 8bit 422. It is not quite a rosey as your hero paint it to be. He said it has more detail than BMCC but all I see is plastic looking footage, as for banding it is there and he admit it but still don't want others critical of the same thing he freely admit.

in your hero's view only he, Philip Bloom can comment and be critical about his own stuff which is above criticism for anyone else. You seem to buy into his mindset.

This thread sounds like people talking teenage idols or "my dad is stronger than your dad"...

Anyway, what Philip Bloom of course means with "more detail than BMCC" is 4k resolution vs 2.5k. 

Ah... not quite the answer i was looking for with the question I posed..... Was it that you have zero comeback and had to revert to the... "oh, you're just a fanboy".... Show me any quote where bloom compares 8bit to 12 bit raw? It was a ridiculous thing to say, and you know it.

PB didn't paint the 1-DC in the greatest of light, in terms of image quality. Plus points and bad points.... Just like every other review i've seen about this camera. I'm pretty sure he wont be buying one any time soon, that is the impression he left on his blog.

I don't buy into anyone's mindset other than my own.... I deal in facts, i deal in clients, i deal in experience, i work very hard and make a healthy living using digital cameras.... I don't give a shit about so called celebrities (such a laughable term for, essentially, a blogger). All i care about is info, as i don't have time to search the web for every bit of industry news.

So funny how people are so quick to label someone a fanboy/minion just because they agree with ONE of the points raised by that person. Bloom was in the right about not judging the camera's weaknesses based on a jpg of an already compressed, graded video (in 1080p, i might add). That is the ONLY point i have defended.... I couldn't care less about the mudslinging afterwards.

I'm curious as to what film school Andrew Reid actually went to or if any.  Reid's weird analogy about going to some actor's forum and talking about codecs, which was inspired by some VFX lurker, should then justify a strike-through for the word filmmaking on this site's header.  

A VFX lurker that has two fully independent narrative feature films under his belt in worldwide commercial distribution.  How many have you done?  How many has PB done?  On top of more than a decade's experience creating work that's been nominated or won multiple BAFTA and Oscars in his field, among others.

I don't like whipping it out, but I'll whip it out to bitch slap a douche bag.

A VFX lurker that has two fully independent narrative feature films under his belt in worldwide commercial distribution.  How many have you done?  How many has PB done?  On top of more than a decade's experience creating work that's been nominated or won multiple BAFTA and Oscars in his field, among others.

I don't like whipping it out, but I'll whip it out to bitch slap a douche bag.

So do you fully credit yourself for most of the clips you present in your reels?  Please do list the BAFTA and Oscar nominations you're describing, and exactly detail what you did?   Please try not to exclude any of your partners or the lead boss you reported to.  It's kind of like the bench squad winning rings too huh.   :P

So do you fully credit yourself for most of the clips you present in your reels?  Please do list the BAFTA and Oscar nominations you're describing, and exactly detail what you did?   Please try not to exclude any of your partners or the lead boss you reported to.  It's kind of like the bench squad winning rings too huh.   :P

I'll name one I'm pretty proud of.  I created the flying traffic system for The Fifth Element.  The whole thing.  The whole system, that I then made workable enough for the lesser experienced team of about twelve artists assigned to me.   This was after being sent to London to work directly with Luc Besson and his editor Sylvie for two months during filming at Pinewood Studios where I pre-visualized the chase sequence as Luc was doing it, getting Avid rushes from the day's shoot so that I could place building extensions and cars in the scene to help Luc decide on further shots.

When I got back I created the entire system that let other artists on my team place traffic and give them a randomized selection of flying car models.  I had to build in the ability to, if necessary, control all of any specific car's appearance features (dirt, scratches, color, etc.), or model, or possible elimination entirely, without disrupting any of the other cars.  There was no one else to rely on.  I had already established myself within the company, founding artist #7 of Digital Domain, as the guy you went to when you had a VFX task that you didn't quite know how to do but knew it needed to be solved.

I went further, for the fun of it, giving the artists the ability to assign personalized license plates and custom signage to the flying bus lines.  That whole sequence is literally filled with subliminal in-jokes and references only we'll ever fully appreciate (along with Mark Stetson putting us into that sequence...I'm in the first shot where we see Leeloo's POV, across the street, swinging a broadsword around Kurgen style).

While not a favorite in my filmography to actually watch, it's one of my favorite working experiences for the work itself and all the surrounding experiences.  It would go on to win the BAFTA that year for visual effects and be nominated for an Oscar in VFX.  You can read about me in the Cinefex issue for that film, maybe the American Cinematographer too, I forget, as well as the hefty, hard-bound, coffee table book on the history of Digital Domain.

Presuming I'm any sort of bench warmer, I guess I should be angry but it's just so ignorant it makes me chuckle.  You really don't even know what you don't know.  

edit: I do like how you skipped over, despite all your "filmmaking" talk, that I'm one of the few here that's actually done it.  Not clever, but predictable.  Your talk might impress or intimidate other folks who also talk about making films but not me. 

PS: all kidding aside, if you want a clear understanding of what I did on every shot in that reel there's a downloadable shot breakdown document on the vimeo page.  Feel free to verify any of this by contacting folks like Mark Stetson or Eric Nash, they're on FB.  Just, please, screenshot their response when you ask them if I was a "benchwarmer", lol.

The only time that I have ever been a COG, implementing an FX solution created by someone else, that I can recall, ever, would be the digital webs created by Theo Vandernoot for Spider-Man 2.  I was happy at that point, coming to the end of my contract with Sony Pictures Imageworks, to not have to think so hard for a few weeks before going to AFM to get mine and my brother's first feature, one of the first feature length narratives shot on the F900, on the path to distribution.

edit: I do like how you skipped over, despite all your "filmmaking" talk, that I'm one of the few here that's actually done it.  Not clever, but predictable.  Your talk might impress or intimidate other folks who also talk about making films but not me. 

I like the Fifth Element.  Particularly for the costume design and swag since it was done by Jean-Paul Gaultier.

I have some good stuff lined up soon.  you know like working with actors!  like filmmaking before the use of mice and screens and rendering.  just kidding.  :P

I'm not gonna pick a fight you anyways since I don't have to.  I realize your older anyway, so its in my nature to respect that foremost.  Just don't push my nuts on my opinions if I plan on posting here again.  lately its been boring.  the best for Andrew and Bloom.

oh yeah btw...http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/joelleang

• Administrators

Well it seems Leang just got bitch slapped and well deserved it is too.

I find it amazing how much disrespect goes round on the internet from people literally with no justification, aimed at people who have shared a wealth of knowledge and experience such as BurnetRhodes here.

On subject of Bloom - This started because his responses to my 1D C observations were rude, prickly, pompous, belittling putdowns and I will not stand for that in front of a crowd of 60,000 followers. I was debating with absolutely no malice at all but he took it personally. If he can't deal with criticism, even criticism of his camera(!) then he has an major ego issue.

I like the Fifth Element.  Particularly for the costume design and swag since it was done by Jean-Paul Gaultier.

Yeah, I met him at the Floston Paradise party at Cannes the year The Fifth Element opened the festival.  One of the many great experiences associated with that film.  Luc and Gaumont got us all invites, those of us interested in attending Cannes.  Like when he booked the Cinerama-Dome to give us an exclusive screening of the film when Columbia either failed to have a crew screening or didn't invite the FX team.  He's cool like that.

I have some good stuff lined up soon.  you know like working with actors!  like filmmaking before the use of mice and screens and rendering.

Who are you talking to?  Yeah, I know...

fm57hg.jpg112h01k.jpg

317duhi.jpg24v8ged.jpg261k95u.jpg2s1n9rm.jpg1zgcchj.jpg

...my FB album with stills from the actual film...

773752_502204516485067_678057896_o.jpg541820_488024381236414_209053135_n.jpg

....oh, or did you mean to pose that as a question?  Yes.  Yes I do like working with actors.  They seem to like working with me too.

34387_10150220720835183_5848422_n.jpg

edit: here's the PV topic where I outline more about the latest film, including a bunch of behind-the-scenes videos shot by one of my PAs...I posted it there rather than here, I dunno, at the time I wasn't feeling like most of the prevailing voices on the forum here would be interested...