does exist a camera that do raw video with those features?

Dan Wake

10 hours ago, tweak said:

So basically what you should have said is you have no idea. Why give advice if you don't really know?

Meh, you're debating over little tiny specifics now (aside from the SD/CF point, which fair enough was my mistake, and I immediately admitted to. Shit happens, I'm only human).

Otherwise, it doesn't change my overall conclusion and recommendation here. That 5Dmk3 is the main Canon with considering for ML rain, others (specifically 50D / 7D / 5D mk2) are just worth considering if you get it at a very sharp price (due to issues they've got vs 5Dmk3 / BMMCC, such as the 7D's aliasing and not so great lowlight). With BMMCC being the main one worth considering after (or even before) the 5Dmk3 (and of course BMPCC / BMCC MFT also being worthy mentions).

So in the end.... the conclusion is the same. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Not really, as you totally wrote it off to begin with, which shows you've never actually used it, which should be something you really should mention in your post.

Also I think your weighting of how bad 7D raw vs 5D3 raw is isn't really accurate, if you check reviews you will find people intercutting the two and giving 7D praise for it's price. When you consider a used 7D is about 1/4 the price of a 5D3 then it's a worthy option to consider. Is the 5D3 4 times better than the 7D Raw? I don't think so. It all depends on your needs and budgets as to what is the correct camera.

• Super Members

The 5Dmkiii is dropping fast now. So a 7D is more like a 1/3. But I agree, budget and needs is what decides. If one needs full frame then the 7D is out anyway. And of course the opposite if s35 is once preference.
A few questions, does the 7D record raw slowmo? At what resolution can you get continuous? Does it have a 1:1 Crop mode and if so, is it centered?

23 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

A few questions, does the 7D record raw slowmo? At what resolution can you get continuous? Does it have a 1:1 Crop mode and if so, is it centered?

Yep, I'm pretty sure you can use the 60p feature like 5D3 (I haven't done it myself). Yes it has 1:1 crop mode and I'm pretty sure it's centred, the preview in LCD has accurate framing anyway.

You can check resolutions here - http://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/ (but it's just under 1080p for continuous record, unless you shoot a 4:3 or 5:4 aspect).

5 hours ago, tweak said:

Yep, I'm pretty sure you can use the 60p feature like 5D3 (I haven't done it myself). Yes it has 1:1 crop mode and I'm pretty sure it's centred, the preview in LCD has accurate framing anyway.

You can check resolutions here - http://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/ (but it's just under 1080p for continuous record, unless you shoot a 4:3 or 5:4 aspect).

I love my 50D, so much so I am planning a micro short film for it, but I have to admit I am slightly fearing the lack of a scratch track for audio synching. Do you get good recording speeds while recording audio with the 7D?

40 minutes ago, mercer said:

I love my 50D, so much so I am planning a micro short film for it, but I have to admit I am slightly fearing the lack of a scratch track for audio synching. Do you get good recording speeds while recording audio with the 7D?

Yep, the audio is good with MLVraw.

On 13 September 2016 at 9:40 PM, tweak said:

Like what? Rattle some names off if you know of some around the same price.

I got some names. Let's do this, punk. I challenge you to an EOSHD rap battle:

Yo' 7d RAW is a mutha f€c7!n& wh0r£! Panny BM Sony Nikon kick it down to the floor! Canon colour science is a thing that we adore, hey! But yo' 7D colours get all pi$$€d on with moire! 

2 hours ago, Lintelfilm said:

Yo' 7d RAW is a mutha f€c7!n& wh0r£! Panny BM Sony Nikon kick it down to the floor! Canon colour science is a thing that we adore, hey! But yo' 7D colours get all pi$$€d on with moire! 

Lol. Did I hear the mic drop?

9 hours ago, Lintelfilm said:

so that's a no then... cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/8/2016 at 3:11 AM, IronFilm said:

7D with ML raw is shit.

5Dmk3 with ML raw is great.

I'd also suggest BMMCC or secondhand BMPCC. Or maybe even BMCC MFT if you don't care about the weight. 

FS5 / KineMINI / Terra / UM4.6K / FS700 / etc are all good as well if your budget stretches up that high.

On 28/8/2016 at 1:23 AM, dhessel said:

Sony FS5, not sure what you consider affordable.

I was looking for FS5 that you recommended to me but then I have found this article that say it's internal codec is really poor.

http://www.eoshd.com/2016/01/sony-fs5-codec-problems-and-4k-ripped-edges-bug/

did sony fixed those problems with a firmware update?

it was better if I could  knew it before bacause then I adviced this camera to some friends who wanted to buy new gear.

nothing wrong about that and I had to search some deep review by myself so it's my fault, but may I suggest you to tell also the "biggest cons" when suggest a camera to someone. this would have been a great help for me.

6 hours ago, Dan Wake said:

I was looking for FS5 that you recommended to me but then I have found this article that say it's internal codec is really poor.

http://www.eoshd.com/2016/01/sony-fs5-codec-problems-and-4k-ripped-edges-bug/

did sony fixed those problems with a firmware update?

it was better if I could  knew it before bacause then I adviced this camera to some friends who wanted to buy new gear.

nothing wrong about that and I had to search some deep review by myself so it's my fault, but may I suggest you to tell also the "biggest cons" when suggest a camera to someone. this would have been a great help for me.

I would have mentioned it as a con but it was fixed via firmware a long time ago. So it is not really relevant anymore.