The Bolex-Anamorphot 16/32/1.5x thread

SigurdW

On 12/29/2017 at 5:16 AM, Matthew Hartman said:

Does this then make it difficult to frame your shot, say using the golden ratio or rule of thirds?

Are there any third party attachable viewfinder's that could offer desqueezing? 

Best way is to use an external monitor with anamorphic desqueeze function like smallHDs, also helps with focusing :)

• 2 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2017 at 7:51 AM, keessie65 said:

Yes Matthew, all the people(and everything) are thin. You cannot desqueeze that in your screen of the NX1 like the GH5 can with 2x anamorphic. But it's Okay.

Monitors can desqueeze, although i have no experience as yet with them.

On 5/8/2018 at 10:38 AM, keessie65 said:

I know, but I want to keep my setup as compact as possible. The new NinjaV is very interesting, https://www.atomos.com/ninjav

New short testmovie. Now with modified Yashinon DX 45mm f1.4 lens; 

Glorious! Must take some professional practice, but I wish rare lenses like this could multiply like loaf and bread so there's enough to go around for those wishing for it!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the long shots, I should have filmed more yesterday evening. Movements at the railway in my neighbourhood Oostzaan. Filmed with the combo NX1 + Yashinon 45 f1.4 + Bolex 16/32/1.5x + HCDNA. Graded with the lut from Casey Wilson, The NX1 DC Kodak and Filmconvert. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If you can join the Anamorphic Shooters on facebook, someone is selling one via PayPal for about 1,500 Euros. Kind of steep IMO, but I guess they're getting harder to find. If you have the time to wait for a decent deal, I think you can find one for $1,400 between now and the end of the year.

1 hour ago, whoisjsd said:

I think that's wishful thinking. While one DID sell for $1300 on ebay recently, it sold after 5 minutes of being listed. (I know that because I know who bought it.) One in good condition still fetches around $2000. There is a guy in the Facebook community that has a Mint one that is asking 2500 Euros.

I think $1600 for one that is in usable condition is a steal. Anything lower would have to be in really rough shape. Good ones will fetch around $2000 and I doubt that will go any lower in the future.

Wishful thinking if one is in a hurry. Like I said, if you (the royal, not actual) have time to wait and keep checking in, at least a couple will sell for less than 1.5K before the end of the year. And yes, this requires vigilance, as they absolutely do not sit long around long enough to get cold. But if you believe your time and effort are worth more than the $500 difference, by all means, buy it and be done with your search. Conversely, $2,500 Euros could be viewed as wishful thinking to those of us who 1) own one already, or 2) don't have that kind of money to begin with, but the truth is someone will even pony up that much if the need and means are both high enough. I used to fish at a lake house the same way: hook some old chunks of hot dog and toss them off the dock. The next morning, fresh catfish for breakfast. Probably a lousy analogy, but that's what $2.5K for a Bolex equates to in today's market.

If you buy one fro an anamorphic filmer, the price is between 1500 and 2500 dollar for a real mint one. If you buy from someone who is cleaning the house and find one in cellar, it can be less than 1000 dollar. I recently saw a Iscorama for less than 500 dollar, actually sold for € 420,-. That one was only a few minutes at a local ebay-like site. I was a minute too late. 

2 hours ago, keessie65 said:

If you buy one fro an anamorphic filmer, the price is between 1500 and 2500 dollar for a real mint one. If you buy from someone who is cleaning the house and find one in cellar, it can be less than 1000 dollar. I recently saw a Iscorama for less than 500 dollar, actually sold for € 420,-. That one was only a few minutes at a local ebay-like site. I was a minute too late. 

Case in point, thank you.

But not to gloat, whoisjsd, I agree with 90% of your argument.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2018 at 4:28 PM, Colin C said:

Can someone tell me the widest taking lens using the Bolex (with HCDNA, if that matters) in front of a Super35 sensor?

Thank you!

It depends on your delivery: 2.39 or 2.66. For 2.39 I guess you can get away at 37mm without vignetting. 40mm pancake its probably the perfect match, with minimal corner darkening.