The Bolex-Anamorphot 16/32/1.5x thread

SigurdW

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Gerbert Floor said:

How often does this lens pop up? I'm searching now for a couple of weeks, only saw it here for 2k, now I'm thinking I had to pull the trigger on that one...

The last weeks / months I don't see any 1.5x anamorphic lens.... It's a bit too quiet. But I am sure, some will pop up soon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, keessie65 said:

new short video of my visit at the Zaanse Schans. Now with the Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 and speedbooster NXL paired with my NX1, Bolex 16/32/1.5x and HCDNA.... a lot of lenses. Not sure if I wil continue this setup... 

I am super new to the anamorphic world. Well, I never owned or used one and am just now looking into them. 

Anyway, your footage is among the best I've seen. It has that cinematic quality without trying too hard. Thanks for posting.

Any information you could point me toward would be awesome.

22 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I am super new to the anamorphic world. Well, I never owned or used one and am just now looking into them. 

Anyway, your footage is among the best I've seen. It has that cinematic quality without trying too hard. Thanks for posting.

Thank you Jonasy. Everyone here says the same... If you start filming anamorphic once, you always will do that! I started a year ago and the anamorphic lens is standard on my camera. I love it. There are a lot of ways to start anamorphic filming. I also did investigation which lens I would buy. I made a choice for the best and bought a Bolex 16/32/1.5x. But I also sold him and bought a Kowa 1.5x, Iscorama 36. Those lenses has already a new home and I have now again the Bolex (another one - lucky me). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2017 at 10:40 AM, keessie65 said:

I filmed two weeks during our summer holiday, so there are a few more scenery films to follow ;-) enjoy! 
Samsung NX1 + Voigtländer Ultron 40mm f2.0 + Bolex 16/32/1.5x + Hardcore DNA 

What is your closest focus without diopters?  Waiting for the next batch of HCDNAs

1 hour ago, Nocturnes said:

What is your closest focus without diopters?  Waiting for the next batch of HCDNAs

Closest focus is about 1 meter in this combination. See the film you selected at 2:02m. Filmed at f2.0 and I think less than 1 meter. Do you also have a Bolex 16/32?

image.thumb.png.667a1e714230b759b5e1b13506bd20f5.png

2 hours ago, keessie65 said:

Closest focus is about 1 meter in this combination. See the film you selected at 2:02m. Filmed at f2.0 and I think less than 1 meter. Do you also have a Bolex 16/32?

image.thumb.png.667a1e714230b759b5e1b13506bd20f5.png

Thanks for the response,  I do own one as well. I love it man, I was also on the headache of getting it or the isco 36. Got this because I liked the flares and look so much. It close focuses at 1.5FT at F2 easily as well for me without the HCDNA. Hoping it can at least do that with the HCDNA but obviously allow rack focusing. I am really keen on getting it as soon as it is created again.

• 5 weeks later...

God, anamorphic and the NX1 looks so damn filmic and very complementary. I want! 

I can't believe you guys have access to such awesome pricey glass. But it goes to show you what good glass does for an image.

I'd rather drop 2k on a good vintage anamorphic lens than 2k on the next camera with incremental improvement. 

On 11/27/2017 at 5:55 AM, Nocturnes said:

It's funny, this place looks a lot like where I live in Western WA state. We even have a Braverian village too. 

live-from-leavenworth-blog.jpg

On 11/8/2017 at 4:25 PM, Jonesy Jones said:

So how do you "desqueeze" your image during production? 

24 minutes ago, Matthew Hartman said:

So how do you "desqueeze" your image during production? 

It depends on the anamorphic lens. In Adobe Premiere I set the clip for example:

- the height at 73,3% and width at 110%, with sequence 3840x1600, (a bit cropped in width) or

- the height at 67,7% and the width at 100%, with sequence at 3840x1440 (here you will have the full 1,5x width)

But there might be other ways to get the same and more sequence settings

13 hours ago, keessie65 said:

It depends on the anamorphic lens. In Adobe Premiere I set the clip for example:

- the height at 73,3% and width at 110%, with sequence 3840x1600, (a bit cropped in width) or

- the height at 67,7% and the width at 100%, with sequence at 3840x1440 (here you will have the full 1,5x width)

But there might be other ways to get the same and more sequence settings

Maybe I wasn't clear. What I mean is while you're shooting. Isn't your image on the camera's screen "squeezed" ? 

15 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

Maybe I wasn't clear. What I mean is while you're shooting. Isn't your image on the camera's screen "squeezed" ? 

Yes Matthew, all the people(and everything) are thin. You cannot desqueeze that in your screen of the NX1 like the GH5 can with 2x anamorphic. But it's Okay.

4 hours ago, keessie65 said:

Yes Matthew, all the people(and everything) are thin. You cannot desqueeze that in your screen of the NX1 like the GH5 can with 2x anamorphic. But it's Okay.

Does this then make it difficult to frame your shot, say using the golden ratio or rule of thirds?

Are there any third party attachable viewfinder's that could offer desqueezing?