The Bolex-Anamorphot 16/32/1.5x thread

SigurdW

6 hours ago, SigurdW said:

@funkyou86 I use the Rectilux HCDNA, can not recommend it enough! It has lived on my Bolex since day 1 and will probably never come of. Real good engineering, feels like and behaves like a tank - not a fragile peace of glass :) 

Sorry if it's an inappropriate question, but how much does your rig worth now with th HCDNA?

I had a Moller 19/1.5x in the past, which was a focus-trough. The image and the flares were similar to 16/32/1.5x but the lens was much smaller and was not the best with focusing to infinity. That lens trends for around 700 to 900 eur, depending on the condition.

I really adore the look and feel of the 1.5x lenses so I'm thinking about reinvesting some dosh to it :D Does the 32/16/1.5x perform according to his price?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, SigurdW said:

@funkyou86 I use the Rectilux HCDNA, can not recommend it enough! It has lived on my Bolex since day 1 and will probably never come of. Real good engineering, feels like and behaves like a tank - not a fragile peace of glass :) 

I also can confirm that the quality of the HCDNA is superior. But, you need good lenses too. The Bolex 16/32 is a high end piece of glass and also the taking lens takes part of the quality of the film. The HCDNA is well build, easy to focus, build as .... and weight like a tank ;-)

1 hour ago, funkyou86 said:

Sorry if it's an inappropriate question, but how much does your rig worth now with th HCDNA?

I had a Moller 19/1.5x in the past, which was a focus-trough. The image and the flares were similar to 16/32/1.5x but the lens was much smaller and was not the best with focusing to infinity. That lens trends for around 700 to 900 eur, depending on the condition.

I really adore the look and feel of the 1.5x lenses so I'm thinking about reinvesting some dosh to it :D Does the 32/16/1.5x perform according to his price?

I can answer... but it's actually the same as asking 'how old are you' ...you mostly do not ask that ;-) But, here we go; my setup, the Bolex 16/32 1.100 dollar (yes it can!), the HCDNA, 900 dollar, rig 250 dollar, Ultron 40mm 350 dollar. I had a Iscorama 36 and sold him. This setup is huge and weight a lot more, but the quality IMHO is much better than the Iscorama. And at least, I don't sell my Bolex ever again.

Very interesting read and great footage and images. However I have to admit that some videos are so sharp... they almost hurt my eyes. I wish I had a Moller 16. But I think there is a little advantage of the small brother: With my Moller 8/19 I can focus taking lens and anamorphic at the same time (not with Nikon glass of course). And that is a wonderful light setup. Moller-Wedel has a very long tradition in optics and microscopes. I am often nearby their factory when I am around with my racing bike :)

• 2 weeks later...

Heres some tests with the DSO FF58 (superlowcontrast) stunning thing - need to go sparingly - but when it hits the mark its wonderful... I need to run further tests - see if i can control the flare at times.. but like look these are like paintings - something some where is in focus - I'm not sure where though but thats half the charm. I'd like to test this with a person etc..... of and the colours - not sure what was happening there but - I'm blown away by the pallette...

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 9.56.58 am.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 9.58.04 am.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 9.58.17 am.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 9.59.33 am.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 9.59.42 am.png

Just think I've found a great lens for my set up that ticks many boxes - close focus yes - sharp wide open at 2.8 yes - small for its focal length yes - and it appears very little distortion with the Bolex - its the Nikon 100 2.8 E series - also no additional stepping rings from my clamp to lens.... havent tested the character of it yet - just the nitty gritty. I hope this to be my base standard for a solid sharp bright lens on the anamorphot. The Sony Zeiss was holding that position but it was an AF lens that could be easily knocked out of focus etc I'm keen to look at some others in this range - although I know f all about Nikons...... happy to hear some thoughts on similar Nikons with these capabilities. Especially around the 40mm - 60mm mark...

IMG_7586.JPG

4 hours ago, Dick Sweeney said:

Just think I've found a great lens for my set up that ticks many boxes - close focus yes - sharp wide open at 2.8 yes - small for its focal length yes - and it appears very little distortion with the Bolex - its the Nikon 100 2.8 E series - also no additional stepping rings from my clamp to lens.... havent tested the character of it yet - just the nitty gritty. I hope this to be my base standard for a solid sharp bright lens on the anamorphot. The Sony Zeiss was holding that position but it was an AF lens that could be easily knocked out of focus etc I'm keen to look at some others in this range - although I know f all about Nikons...... happy to hear some thoughts on similar Nikons with these capabilities. Especially around the 40mm - 60mm mark...

IMG_7586.JPG

Looks nice Dick! Perhaps you can use next to the 100mm lens, the pancake version of Nikon, the 50mm f1.8.

Yes that's what I thought keessie65. I've been researching them all day. I love pancake lenses. One of my faves is the Minolta 45 f2 and the contax zeiss 45 2.8.  The problem with the Zeiss though is the width of the focus grip and I wonder if I will have a similar problem with the Nikon pancake. I can't wait to test the 100 2.8 on something other than the close up and technical shots I've ran with today. I'm hoping it has some nice character and I can see it flares easily. And veiling flare which I like. 

How was the focus though - I kind of gathered that most of my tests so far I've had to go into cropped mode around this focal length. Besides the vignette was the experience a good one and the look and ease of use good @SigurdW     FYI loved your Lofoten clip.  Was it Mum or Riceboy Sleeps music 

@Dick Sweeney I will have to compare it to my 44M - which I love. The Nikon has a more modern "punch" to it, contrasty. If I remember correctly, it had fairly few aperture blades, so when stopped down the bokeh gets some edge. Mechanics-wise I found it very good, smooth focusing and robust build. However, it is a pancake lens, so dont expect a proper grip on the focus ring. Thank you for the compliment! The music was by Sigur Rós.

Thanks for the info @SigurdW - It might be worth me having a look at the pancake lens - I dont think it would be any harder to focus with than the Contax Zeiss 45. - as that focus ring is tiny. I'm sorting out all these lens tests - so I know whats good for stills (my career) - Sharp and fast and then for motion which can afford to be more poetic and with a little more give in terms of requirements. I did notice that in some ways the Nikon 100 was sharp etc but it still needed due care and consideration as at 2.8 and inifinity on the anamorphot - it still wasnt infinity on the taking lens - which caused some soft issues........ flares were good - although I was too late for them at the sunrise. And yes Sigur Ros...... i think the guy went on to do Rice Boy........ both lovely music !

1 hour ago, SigurdW said:

Lovely! Nice to see some hints of wide angle distortion as well. You had to crop a bit in post, right? If not, I want in on this fun!

Well no - not really on any post crop - this was shot at 100 FPS - and the A7S2 naturally gives you the crop on the sensor - at 1080. To be honest its all I'm good for atm - as my machine can only handle 1080 and 4k is a nightmare. I'm getting my head round the proxies slowly - along with all the other massive learning curve. BUT that lens is a legend and it is tiny. Almost too small. I'd be keen to try other lenses though too - as the light is special - and i'm using special sauce EOS HD Canon Log - what ever Ive done - something in the mix is working FYI - no LUT or grade applied other than some matching up from cut to cut. I still need to get that IBIS / IS sorted though - although I was filming after a fair bit of cycling and i was cycling chasing the light.....

heres a review of said lenses - its loved as a landscape lens https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F3.5-Lens.html

Adding paint on more paint - the Minolta 58 1.2 plus the Bolex - this time with a Novoflex adapter - for hopefully more critical focusing - but yep still hard to nail it. This is a sweet vibe - almost too much for stills but certainly has hope for the motion world. Yes soft - but the OOF areas look so different and organic - and the flairs can be radical - almost futturistic and techno......

_DSC5833.jpg

_DSC6003.jpg

_DSC6116.jpg

Looks awesome Keeesie65 - its so detailed - almost hyper real ! The focus pulls look smooth with the HCDNA. Is this all hand held ?

Heres one with a bit more crafting and story. Less testing now. Going for it ! Although I think i need to monitor the focus a little and get hold of a diopter.......... this was with the Bolex / Zcrane gimbal / Pentax K 28mm 3.5/ EOSHD Col Prof / no grading