The Bolex-Anamorphot 16/32/1.5x thread

SigurdW

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 14/04/2017 at 3:48 PM, redimp said:

Is there a difference between 16/32/1.5x and 32/1.5x?

Yes there is a difference. I had a 16/32 and a moller 32 - one with great front optic one with great rear optic. I took it to a lens repair shop to see if the elements could be swapped to make one great lens and there were subtle differences in the optics. Also worth noting that the repair shop got hold of a couple of another 16/32s and went to undertake a swop from one of those and the element was a little different there as well. So not only are there differences between the 32 and 16/32 but not all 16/32s are alike...

5 hours ago, Dave Reeve said:

Yes there is a difference. I had a 16/32 and a moller 32 - one with great front optic one with great rear optic. I took it to a lens repair shop to see if the elements could be swapped to make one great lens and there were subtle differences in the optics. Also worth noting that the repair shop got hold of a couple of another 16/32s and went to undertake a swop from one of those and the element was a little different there as well. So not only are there differences between the 32 and 16/32 but not all 16/32s are alike...

Interesting! I have also heard something about the Möller 32 having bigger elements, is that true @Dave Reeve

6 hours ago, Dave Reeve said:

And the differences are...??? 

• 1 month later...

Finally I was able to shoot a quick test with the Bolex, not much to see here, just me terrorising my mates with a camera:

I will leave a bit of a "test log" here for future reference:

On the BMPCC I am able to go 22mm and I have a feeling it might work with 21mm lenses too, depending how close you can get to the front glass when attaching the Bolex. At 22mm I have no hard vignetting, that is without cropping from 2.66:1.
With a 0.58x Speed Booster my Mir 1B 37mm is vignette-free, and the original 0.71x Speed Booster is good to go from 30mm. Obviously cropping to 2.40:1 would give me many more choices.

The Bolex is sharp. Like very.. very sharp. Basically it all comes down to the taking lens behind it, if that looks good wide-open then it will look just as good with the Bolex screwed on the front. If the taking lens performs like a rotten cabbage then the same can be expected with the Anamorphot.
Unlike others the Bolex was actually intended to be a taking lens and it can focus down to roughly 0.7m without diopters. It has a perfectly usable 62mm front thread as well. In this video I had a Tiffen Black Satin 1 + Hoya UV and IR Cut + Genustech Eclipse Variable ND on the front, these were all 77mm and caused no extra vignetting with the Mir 1B. Some of the vignetting you see here was actually added in post.

To everybody I can say, if you have a Bolex, keep him, don't sell him. It's a great lens. I owned one and sold him. Now I have a Kowa c35, also a great lens but as second lens I am looking for a Bolex 16/32/1.5x again. So if you want to sell your Bolex, let me know. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the Bolex family again! I few weeks ago I just send only 5 emails to Bolex shops all over the world and there was one guy in Ellijay (US) that has one in stock, not mentioned for sale... till I mailed. Today I received this little lens and it is in almost NEW quality. Now I have two 1.5x lenses, but I think the Bolex will be standard mounted on my NX1.

SAM_2781.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

I have a Bolex Anamorphot 8/19/1.5x in that I'm selling. It's served me well, but I'm not using it enough anymore to justify it just sitting around. 
Listing on eBay should go up tomorrow evening (California time). If anyone is interested in this great little lens, let me know!

IMG_6003.JPG

Heres some lens tests with the anamorphot - some come good easy with the focus others not...... the Sony Zeiss is SHARP ! and the AF handy. The Minolta 45 very small and renders well and close focus and sharp with nice flares. The Jupiter 85 is lovely - crazy organic - i think best for middle distance person with focus on them wide open ish. If its close to inifinity then the organic renders a bit too funky for my like. I need to test the Minolta 58 and the Canon 100 macro more........

_DSC5012.jpg

_DSC7540.jpg

V_DSC6408.jpg

_DSC6758.jpg

_DSC5788.jpg

_DSC7438.jpg

_DSC5686.jpg

_DSC5059.jpg

_DSC5210.jpg

_DSC5648.jpg

_DSC5332.jpg

_DSC6517.jpg

A little film from my latest trip to the home-place of my girlfriend, the Lofoten Islands.

Brought along the 5D Mk3, Bolex 16/32 + HCDNA and two new little gems:

The Helios 44-2 Silver, which I have to say I did not become too fond of coming from the 44M. Might have just been an unfortunate sample, but way softer than my 44M as well as a blue-ish tint.

And the Jupiter 9 Silver, which I absolutely loved. Nicest colours of my assortment, not to mention impressive sharpness wide open (read a lot of hate on that part on-line).

Shot in 1748x 618 (or something) stretched to 2160x778