The Bolex-Anamorphot 16/32/1.5x thread

SigurdW

Thought it would be cool to have a place to discuss and share thoughts about this particular gem. 

I just recently acquired one, and have done some primitive testing with it on an a7s/helios-44m. Will share when I have something more than my backyard.

In the meantime I have some questions:

Have anyone tried it with (FF) wider than 50mm? Would it work with like a 40mm/45mm pancake?

How does it perform with the SLR Magic Rangefinder?

I can't seem to find proper focus closer than around 1,4m - is there a workaround I am missing?

Thanks in advance!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Never owned this, but did own the smaller 8/16/1.5x for a short time and based on that and owning a couple different ones tooI can say with reasonable certainty that:

Since you're already getting vignetting at 50mm on a full frame sensor, I doubt very highly you can go wider and not see more vignetting. Unless you figure out a way to mash the back of the Bolex to the very front of the taking lens in your clamp configuration, then it's possible, but I seriously doubt it.

All of these vintage lenses increase the minimum focusing distance. Just the nature of it. Some ways to get around include adding diopters to the front of the anamorphot. They can get you to focus closer, however you won't be able to focus beyond a certain point with it on. Do some research. 

7 hours ago, DIGICHombre said:

Hi,

Never owned this, but did own the smaller 8/16/1.5x for a short time and based on that and owning a couple different ones tooI can say with reasonable certainty that:

Since you're already getting vignetting at 50mm on a full frame sensor, I doubt very highly you can go wider and not see more vignetting. Unless you figure out a way to mash the back of the Bolex to the very front of the taking lens in your clamp configuration, then it's possible, but I seriously doubt it.

All of these vintage lenses increase the minimum focusing distance. Just the nature of it. Some ways to get around include adding diopters to the front of the anamorphot. They can get you to focus closer, however you won't be able to focus beyond a certain point with it on. Do some research. 

I appreciate your advice!

Have just acquired a Redstan clamp which allows me to get the rear element closer to the taking lens. Waiting for a Nikon E-series pancake, will let you know how it goes. I was just wondering if anyone had (successfully) managed to go closer, i.e. with the Voigtlander 45mm. M mount on i.e an a7s makes for a very short gap from the sensor to the scope, it might just work?

Regarding the close focusing, I am aware of the quirks and workarounds. Just found it strange, as the metric scale seem to be pretty darn precise until 1.5m and have not until now heard anyone (except me haha) bitching about it. Maybe thats also a clamp issue, we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22.9.2016 at 9:17 PM, Asmir Puzić said:

@SigurdW It might be a long shot... But if you a looking to sell your Bolex Möller 16/32 1.5x, I'll be more than happy to buy it :)

Kind regards,
Asmir P.

Sorry man, just recently got it! At this point, I think I will bring it to the grave. Good luck finding yours :)

On 9/22/2016 at 10:17 PM, Asmir Puzić said:

@SigurdW It might be a long shot... But if you a looking to sell your Bolex Möller 16/32 1.5x, I'll be more than happy to buy it :)

Kind regards,
Asmir P.

My favourite anamorphic retailer got one for sale, good luck! http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-Dream-Lens-Moller-Moller-Anamorphot-Anamorphic-32-1-5x-not-16-32-1-5x-/131956159344?hash=item1eb9333370:g:~aUAAOSwMgdXxJQ7

9 minutes ago, bzpop said:

just saw it, man price is goin up

It's only going to get worse as time goes on. If this lens could be cleaned, I would offer him 1k. There is a chance it can't be opened up. I had one serviced and the guy could not get it open because of age or someone glued it. I have seen vinegar do wonders on lens mold?