Ursa mini...is this the end of blackmagic?

Ed_David

4 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I think Blackmagic is listening to feedback though. Regarding screens/batteries. They switched to a better Canon batter for the Micro. They really stepped up their LCD game with the Ursa's and Video Assist.

Yes absolutely, I think they are listening. However, I like the all-in-one option and don't want to buy loads of other add ons just to make something work. Give me everything in one box & I'm as happy as Larry. This is precisely why I'm not moving away from the Pocket anytime soon, that and i'm not fussed about having even more DR & slow-mo has been so over used it's now become a joke and a real sign of a lack of imagination. I've always found that if you have limitations, then you strive forwards into directions that you'd never have even imagined were there. I don't want the simple life, simply because you never get to test yourself. I want that rush of blood to my head everytime I pick up a camera - the adrenaline fuelled nervous sickness that takes over your whole body & demands that you can no longer make excuses, but just be & do...

Really want to see what BM come up with next & just hope it is as awesome as the Pocket............................ 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

I don't know if this is what happened, but I can't imagine bmd was not aware of the magenta issue (both symmetric and asymmetric) effecting maybe all um 4.6k sensors to varying degreess before the release of the camera. They probably released the camera anyway because of whatever internal and external pressures. Now it's luck of the draw for their customers how bad this problem rears its head on their cameras. Now all cameras have their issues but this seems pretty bad and also bad form for bmd as they continue to address it with a lot of secrecy when it's such a known fact.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47333&start=2000

Saw someone posting footage from their brand new Raven or Scarlet W, I can't remember which. Clear and obvious magenta corners all over the place. I wondered if it was just me so I looked at comments, sure enough others and the filmmaker all noticed it and talked about it. But what was weird is they weren't freaking out about it. 

1 minute ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Saw someone posting footage from their brand new Raven or Scarlet W, I can't remember which. Clear and obvious magenta corners all over the place. I wondered if it was just me so I looked at comments, sure enough others and the filmmaker all noticed it and talked about it. But what was weird is they weren't freaking out about it. 

Maybe it's the new look.

26 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

Please don't start this over here, go to BMCuser & deliver your verdicts there - it isn't a widespread issue & there are very few people that have it (if you consider how many units are out there vs. the complaints).

Where's @John Brawley when you need him!?

It is wide spread enough that BM had acknowledged it and are attempting to fix it via firmware. No one other than BM knows how wide spread the issue is. It is clearly more than a few bad units because there were individuals who got at least 3 bad ones in a row even when requesting the cameras be checked during RMA. There were multiple people who had the same results. Either they are very unlucky or it is more widespread than just a few bad ones.

23 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Please don't start this over here, go to BMCuser & deliver your verdicts there - it isn't a widespread issue & there are very few people that have it (if you consider how many units are out there vs. the complaints).

Where's @John Brawley when you need him!?

Some users are saying every camera is effected to varying degrees but i guess only bmd will know. Are you a moderator here and there? Just move my post then. This thread is about the quality of ursa mini and the magenta problem has been a well known issue since prerelease cameras were out on the field. And those two threads are two of the biggest threads on those sites. 

How about this since you're the expert. Take your ursa 4.6 and shoot a white surface above 5.6 and share it with us.

1 minute ago, AaronChicago said:

I can't speak for everyone that has bought a 4.6K, but myself, and the 2 people I know in town who bought one, haven't had any problems with the magenta corners. I even did a stress test against a white wall at f/8 35-70mm.

That's good to hear. Did you buy it before July? I'm interested in the camera but dont want to deal with korean resellers if there is an issue. I see ursa 4.6k already on the used market here. 

5 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

My understanding as I watched that test was that the magenta corners showed without IR and disappeared with IR. To me that is a pretty simple workaround. Thanks for sharing.

There's two issues. The asymmetric is not so easily solved. Bmd said they will address it by firmware and users are now waiting. 

1 minute ago, Hanriverprod said:

That's good to hear. Did you buy it before July? I'm interested in the camera but dont want to deal with korean resellers if there is an issue. I see ursa 4.6k already on the used market here. 

I bought it at the end of April from Pro Cam in Aurora, IL. Used would actually be a great option if they can prove that it's magenta free.

1 minute ago, AaronChicago said:

I bought it at the end of April from Pro Cam in Aurora, IL. Used would actually be a great option if they can prove that it's magenta free.

Yeah i was thinking of picking it up used or asking the reseller to test if before sending it over. Some of the images look fantastic for any price. Thanks for the info

On 8/31/2016 at 8:13 PM, John Brawley said:

Kino, just dont make shit up when you have no idea what you're talking about.

JB 

I posted a sensor spec sheet from Fairchild that demonstrates how BMD uses off-the-shelf (or slightly modified) sensors in its cameras and does not manufacture its own sensors like Canon or Sony. You respond with insults and personal attacks. But please, carry on there . . .

For the record, I do think the specs on the Fairchild sensor are world class and superior to almost anything else out there. Let's hope that BMD can release the camera in greater numbers and without any issues.

On Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 2:29 AM, John Brawley said:

Ok so if you could get one today for 3K it would be a "good" camera ?

jb 

Well today its competition is not the BMPC4K but the URSA Mini 4K, which is also $3K.

Thus for the AJA CION to be competitive if released today I'd say it possibly needs to be priced below the URSA Mini 4K?? And we know that is never going to happen! 

I've never seen any magenta corners on the Raven footage and I don't see it in the sample above. I have seen other issues, however, such as the orange OLPF flares (visible at 1:18 in the Sunday Afternoon clip above) and the black sun (if you overexpose enough):

12 minutes ago, Kino said:

I've never seen any magenta corners on the Raven footage and I don't see it in the sample above. I have seen other issues, however, such as the orange OLPF flares (visible at 1:18 in the Sunday Afternoon clip above) and the black sun (if you overexpose enough):

What everyone called magenta corners on the UM46 is clearly visible on the video I posted, it's even there in the cover thumbnail. Now if that's not magenta corners, then I'd say much fewer UM46 cameras have the issue than are claimed, and only suffer from whatever is happening in the Red Raven video.