Canon stop making the 1D C - Listed discontinued at CVP! Is a replacement just around the corner?

Andrew Reid

Personally I see no use other than the 120fps for 1080p. The 4k quality is so much better and the possibility to reframe and stabilize before outputting 1080p it is a no brainer. The only reason to use the S35 1080p is in case that you need to record for many hours something that I never do, but I understand that could be something that others need.

The only thing that the 1DC has better is CLog, I would take the 4k60 DPAF over Log any time but I do tons of one man gimbal stuff for sports so my needs may differs from others.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, Sinjun Balabanoff said:

The DPAF and 4k 60p are really the only selling points above it. The 1DC having a much better 1080p mode and generally slightly nicer looking image overall make me favor it in the end, but the DPAF is indeed really really nice.

And they frankly trump c-log... but really, why can't they just add it to the 1DX Mkii. That alone would seal the deal for most here. As for image quality, it's a wash. Both camera have great IQ imo.

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

They won't do it.

They are protecting their margins.

If a big rental house got a lot of demand for a camera like that, they might order 100x DSLRs for $5k each, instead of 100x C300 Mark II's for $15,000 each

At least that is what Canon THINK

I don't think it works like that. I think they're idiots.

If people buy their own instead of going to the rental house then instead of selling 100 to the rental house they'll sell thousands to individuals! 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

Okay, I'm confused---as per usual.

I downloaded EditReady and it transcoded fine, I sent the transcoded files to a folder destination, but when I checked the size of the original clips and the transcoded clips I did not see any significant difference in file size. 

Isn't transcoding supposed to reduce file size for editing and storage??

Where are my going wrong?

Select ProRes LT

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

OK, now that is interesting and quite unexpected.

I thought the C300 II was well received.

I always knew the 1D C was left on the rental shop shelves for the most part, but the C300 II seems to have everything C300 users were asking for aside from the slow-mo spec.

Maybe it will take a big Cinema EOS model to crash and burn before Canon realise the error of their ways with the DSLRs and how they have ignored the competition from Sony. They have unnecessarily let the FS7 into the market big time and it will hurt in the long run.

A good job most FS7 shooters are using Canon EF lenses otherwise the situation could have been even worse!

I think the recent big price drop on the C300 mk2 has helped a lot in peak interest in it again. Also here in NZ they've got very generous finance terms & package offered with it as well  (Sony NZ doesn't seem to have that for theirs that is as generous)

Before the price drop I'd never seen a C300 mk2, but since then I've got a couple of friends in Auckland seriously talking about buying it, and I did (I was sound) a short film recently with the C300 mk2 that a production house had just purchased  (and you guessed it... their previous one was a  C300 mk1!)

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Ah so I see what is happening.

C300 is everywhere and cheaper.

Sony FS7 if you need slow-mo

C300 Mark II butts up against the higher end RED and Alexa stuff, whereby you may as well rent one of those instead.

It is kind of in no mans land and a victim of the C300 and C100's continued popularity.

Canon have blundered - ooops.

Just go look at local rental prices and you can see for yourself. A C300II is not at RED/Arri price levels to rent  (unless you live in LA perhaps? Which have an over supply of REDs! And seem to be rediculously cheap to rent over there from what I hear). A C300II is only a little bit more expensive to rent than an FS7.

And the C300 mk1 being everywhere and FS7 only for slow motion I see as being a little incorrect,  an FS7 offers so so much more than the C300 mk1!!

That was true in the old days pre FS7, when every man and his dog had and used a C300 mk1, and the Sony FS700 was just got in for slow motion usage on the cheap ("poor man's Phantom").

17 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

OK, now that is interesting and quite unexpected.

I thought the C300 II was well received.

I always knew the 1D C was left on the rental shop shelves for the most part, but the C300 II seems to have everything C300 users were asking for aside from the slow-mo spec.

Maybe it will take a big Cinema EOS model to crash and burn before Canon realise the error of their ways with the DSLRs and how they have ignored the competition from Sony. They have unnecessarily let the FS7 into the market big time and it will hurt in the long run.

A good job most FS7 shooters are using Canon EF lenses otherwise the situation could have been even worse!

Well yes, this information comes from the experience of speaking to the rental guys on a weekly basis. 

I recently asked for the C300 II for an event job (interviews and highlights) and they said "nobody wants the C300 II as everyone is using the FS7, so we don't have it. You can take the original C300 though." 

I'm sure this will be very different geographically, however I know for sure the FS7 is the UK's biggest seller and most rented camera of the year. I bet the C300 II is hot cakes in other parts of the world. 

I feel Canon just missed with the C300 II. If it had 4k 60p and better slow motion like the FS7.... it would have no problem being sold and rented everywhere.

18 hours ago, DBounce said:

Or the could just push a firmware update to the 1DX MKII to give it the missing pieces. Although not sure about the 10 bit part. Maybe doable for 1080p. And please, why must 1080p mode be low quality?

Most of the stuff I've seen online (not all of it) from the 1DXII looks like it's wrapped in a reflective sheet of plastic. It's how the standard profiles are managing exposure from shadows to highlights, it's really quite harsh and not appealing to lots of us. 

I'm still interested in the 1DX II til this day, however it's missing that elusive C-log feature that will correct my biggest reservation. I'm not spending that kind of money on a camera that doesn't have a log mode. 

Also the crippled HDMI port is very very silly. Do Canon have something against it's users for using an Atomos for a better codec? It's things like this which frustrate me about Canon, I can see why some people get so irritated by their conservatism. 

4 hours ago, dr_jon said:

I have a small point/question about the comment that the lower-end cameras don't have a log profile - how about loading Technicolor Cinestyle in a custom slot? Or http://www.similaar.com/foto/flaat-picture-styles/index.html ? (I'd say "or Visionstyle" but they seem to have gone into a stealth mode. There's also Prolost Flat of course.)

I've already loaded them and Marvel Cine. But we still want log.