Canon stop making the 1D C - Listed discontinued at CVP! Is a replacement just around the corner?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
9 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

I own a 1dC, recently acquired from B&H--and it is a fabulous image making machine--but with HUGE files. What program or application is best to transcode them into ProRes for FCPX? Anyone??/

EditReady is by far the best.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Franz Schuier said:

I was a canon C-line (1DC, C100, C100mk2) user for 4 years and my best bet is they finally sold their inventory. They never produced 1DC body´s after their launch batch as the NEVER updated the damn thing and the 1DC body I got as replacement in 2014 had a very similar serial to my first one. The chance for a 1DC mk2 is minimal, business heads will look at the sale figures and say naaaaaa.....(The C300 mk3 is not selling well already, judging by the price drops)

It did produce very nice images, but I am SOOOO happy I sold it in time. (Only 50% loss, not counting all the hassle I had with that "bombproof" camera)

I just wish that they would do a proper firmware update to the 1DX MKii. One that would add the glaringly omitted features (sensible file sizes, peaking, zebras, c-log). Those easy additions would sell the 1DX Mkii to everyone that's been on the fence.

But that said they might feel that the 1DX Mkii is already selling well enough. 

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I just wish that they would do a proper firmware update to the 1DX MKii. One that would add the glaringly omitted features (sensible file sizes, peaking, zebras, c-log). Those easy additions would sell the 1DX Mkii to everyone that's been on the fence.

They won't do it.

They are protecting their margins.

If a big rental house got a lot of demand for a camera like that, they might order 100x DSLRs for $5k each, instead of 100x C300 Mark II's for $15,000 each

At least that is what Canon THINK

I don't think it works like that. I think they're idiots.

12 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

They won't do it.

They are protecting their margins.

If a big rental house got a lot of demand for a camera like that, they might order 100x DSLRs for $5k each, instead of 100x C300 Mark II's for $15,000 each

At least that is what Canon THINK

I don't think it works like that. I think they're idiots.

Protecting what? It's my understanding that the C300 Mkii is petty much a flop. That most opt for the Sony FS7 over it.  And as we all know... if you want a DSLR form factor there are reasons for wanting that. Only someone with no clue about what they intended to use the camera for would cross shop a DSLR with a full blown video camera. The larger camera is convenient for larger productions, but is totally unsuitable for run and gun. So there is no protection needed. 

• Administrators

C300 Mk II a flop? Really? It will be rented and used and bought until the cows come home, just like the C300 was.

Look, I am not in agreement with Canon's strategy, I don't think they need to protect the Cinema EOS line from their stills cameras.

And sometimes it just makes them look stupid - protecting the 1D C from ITSELF by not adding peaking!? IT IS A CINEMA EOS CAMERA!!

But it seems that is what they have chosen to do...

55 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

C300 Mk II a flop? Really? It will be rented and used and bought until the cows come home, just like the C300 was.

Look, I am not in agreement with Canon's strategy, I don't think they need to protect the Cinema EOS line from their stills cameras.

And sometimes it just makes them look stupid - protecting the 1D C from ITSELF by not adding peaking!? IT IS A CINEMA EOS CAMERA!!

But it seems that is what they have chosen to do...

My regular rental houses have had to sell most of their C300 II stock, because not many people are renting them. In their words, the C300 II is a flop (in the UK). 

One of them was literally begging me to rent the 1DC, and offered me half price. 

They've all had to buy a lot more FS7 stock, because the demand is very high. It's also hard to get an FS7 at short notice. 

The glaring omission from the C300 II is 4k60p and a rubbish 120fps mode. That's the reason why the cheaper FS7 is favoured. Canon really screwed up on that one. 

Also the omission of basic video features from the 1DC is completely unacceptable and ridiculous. Lovely camera though, like always! 

If they brought out a 1DC II that had everything the 1DX II does but 10 bit, peaking, zebra, log, XF codec.. and was a bit more money.... I'd buy it today. Right now. 

2 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

If they brought out a 1DC II that had everything the 1DX II does but 10 bit, peaking, zebra, log, XF codec.. and was a bit more money.... I'd buy it today. Right now. 

Or the could just push a firmware update to the 1DX MKII to give it the missing pieces. Although not sure about the 10 bit part. Maybe doable for 1080p. And please, why must 1080p mode be low quality?

The C300 II is not a "flop" but a victim of Canon's own success with the C100 line and C300 I, which are the most popular doc cameras in the world.

The 1DC may be phased out, in which case its place will be filled by another C camera, perhaps the C100 III, or "C200," with 4K.

However, I still believe that Canon intends to release a 1DC II and that it will be very similar to the 1DX II with only a slight premium on the price and features.

I don't believe that 10 bit is possible in the weather-sealed body, since it would necessitate the introduction of fans. It would also raise the cost significantly and require them to redesign the 1D body from its newest version. They would also need a new codec other than MJPEG, which would undermine the "hybird" nature of the camera that is advertised as motion stills.

The only other option would be to redesign MJPEG using a newer spec such as JPEG-9, which allows for 10-bit and 12-bit processing:

http://www.infai.org/jpeg/

In this case, the camera will cost way more than a 1DX II because the R&D would go through the roof. I don't see Canon pursuing this more ambitious option and I expect them to stick to their conservative ways and their incremental product advancement with any 1DC II release.

30 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Or the could just push a firmware update to the 1DX MKII to give it the missing pieces. Although not sure about the 10 bit part. Maybe doable for 1080p. And please, why must 1080p mode be low quality?

Well since the newly announced firmware update for 1dXii has zero video updates and it is a direct update based on professional user feedback, it doesn't seem likely that the video features you desire will be implemented in the 1dXii anytime soon. I believe some form of 1dC successor is on the horizon... If it will be a direct mkii is another question. I think the smart play would be a 5-7500 USD 5dC addressing the hybrid market that is more video oriented than stills oriented like the 1dX. Linking their cinema line DSLR to the 5d series would be a smart marketing strategy for Canon. I know a lot of forum members believe Canon is run by the old guard that has no idea what they're doing but I would contend they know exactly what they're doing and 9 out of 10 times it works as planned. 

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

My regular rental houses have had to sell most of their C300 II stock, because not many people are renting them. In their words, the C300 II is a flop (in the UK). 

One of them was literally begging me to rent the 1DC, and offered me half price. 

They've all had to buy a lot more FS7 stock, because the demand is very high. It's also hard to get an FS7 at short notice. 

The glaring omission from the C300 II is 4k60p and a rubbish 120fps mode. That's the reason why the cheaper FS7 is favoured. Canon really screwed up on that one. 

Also the omission of basic video features from the 1DC is completely unacceptable and ridiculous. Lovely camera though, like always! 

OK, now that is interesting and quite unexpected.

I thought the C300 II was well received.

I always knew the 1D C was left on the rental shop shelves for the most part, but the C300 II seems to have everything C300 users were asking for aside from the slow-mo spec.

Maybe it will take a big Cinema EOS model to crash and burn before Canon realise the error of their ways with the DSLRs and how they have ignored the competition from Sony. They have unnecessarily let the FS7 into the market big time and it will hurt in the long run.

A good job most FS7 shooters are using Canon EF lenses otherwise the situation could have been even worse!

Except slow motion, I do not know anyone else prefering any other camera over the C100/C300i or ii (depending the budget). C100 and 300 are not winning any specs contest, but in the field are the go to tools for most videographers on the planet, and for good reason too.

Canon they have to step up their game though..

9 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Except slow motion, I do not know anyone else prefering any other camera over the C100/C300i or ii (depending the budget). C100 and 300 are not winning any specs contest, but in the field are the go to tools for most videographers on the planet, and for good reason too.

Canon they have to step up their game though..

Are you sure? 

Canon has reduced the price of the C300 mkII in many countries. Dealers are offering the camera for as much as $4000 US off the old price, presumably in an attempt to stimulate more sales. The Mark II hasn’t caught the imagination shooters in the way the original did and subsequently some dealers around the world have struggled to sell stock. 

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/07/01/canon-drops-price-of-the-c300-mkii-dealers-offering-as-much-4000us-off/

I was describing the rental situation in my country. I can understand not a lot of C300ii being rent, as for most cases version i is just sufficient.

C100s are the clear leader in sales as most customers do not even care (or know that exist) about 4K.

Honestly, only in special occasions we rent a Sony for slow motion, in any other case, why would we?

I have the NX system for 4K, plus we use a JVC LS300, all the other cases it is C100i & ii and C300i. We still use 3 Canon markIII occasionally, but if I could convince my other partners they would have been replaced by NX1s instantly! For anything more, there is always a Red with a dedicated assistant for cheap (like 300$ per day), or Alexa.

9 hours ago, Guy Calaf said:

Andrew, you just proposed what would be a huge winner for Canon, a $5000 1DCII. EVF instead of mirror, double CF FAST slot, 4K 60p DCI in super 35 mode would be fine for me. 422 10bit h265. 120fps  at full 1080. decent above 20mpx stills. touch screen, peaking, waveform. If canon would have any common sense this is the camera they would put out, but they have grown into an arrogant dinosaur company. Sony will keep on improving and so will black magic, and canon will keep on disappointing. Fast AF on stills and huge legacy range of lenses is really what they have going for themselves. the canon look is questionable at this point with so many more affordable and common sense options out there, including used red rigs and excellent black magic cameras. I love the 709 LUT from slog2 out of my fs7. Call me a simple man. does the job for me!!!!  Though it is never too late for a change of direction for canon. The pundits who are all clapping at the 5div are to me like trump supporters. If I were a still photographer who needed AF in stills, I would see no reason to drop $7k (for two bodies) plus accessories and cards to upgrade from 5dIII to 5div. for what? 4k in almost mft format, dinosaur codec, unusable bit rate unless you carry thousands and thousands of dollars of cards, hd space and machines to transcode in 422 pro res. poor canon.

A sub-$5k 1DCII with full frame 4k and filesizes near the A7sII, and ergonomic/functionality improvements seen with the a7s... Canon would retake the DSLR video throne in an instant. It would kill all the momentum Sony and Panasonic have been making. Say what you will about all of Canon's mistakes in the video game lately, but they still put out arguably the nicest colors and most filmic look between them, Sony, and Panasonic. 

The C300II is amazing but outside of the price range for people looking at Sony and Pansonic, but a 1DCII with those specs to me feels like the definitive step up from the 5dm2/5dm3 crowd like myself. 

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I was describing the rental situation in my country. I can understand not a lot of C300ii being rent, as for most cases version i is just sufficient.

C100s are the clear leader in sales as most customers do not even care (or know that exist) about 4K.

Honestly, only in special occasions we rent a Sony for slow motion, in any other case, why would we?

I have the NX system for 4K, plus we use a JVC LS300, all the other cases it is C100i & ii and C300i. We still use 3 Canon markIII occasionally, but if I could convince my other partners they would have been replaced by NX1s instantly! For anything more, there is always a Red with a dedicated assistant for cheap (like 300$ per day), or Alexa.

Ah so I see what is happening.

C300 is everywhere and cheaper.

Sony FS7 if you need slow-mo

C300 Mark II butts up against the higher end RED and Alexa stuff, whereby you may as well rent one of those instead.

It is kind of in no mans land and a victim of the C300 and C100's continued popularity.

Canon have blundered - ooops.

9 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

EditReady is by far the best.

Okay, I'm confused---as per usual.

I downloaded EditReady and it transcoded fine, I sent the transcoded files to a folder destination, but when I checked the size of the original clips and the transcoded clips I did not see any significant difference in file size. 

Isn't transcoding supposed to reduce file size for editing and storage??

Where are my going wrong?

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

It isn't an easy addition if the processor already can only barely do the poor MJPEG compression. Which seems to be the case.

I really like the 1Dx II and 4k 60p with DPAF is really unique and powerful. I just read that Philip Bloom wants to the sell his 1DC to acquire a 1Dx II. I believe he was really impressed by the DPAF and 4k 60p and I can share the reasoning.

But Canon should do a firmware update for the 1Dx II and add Log, a 1:1 crop option for 1080p 120fps (higher quality), zebra and peeking this would make It the perfect hybrid. Even paying update would be good.

Probably it will not happen, but I’m sure that they would sell even more 1Dx and probably not cannibalize the Cxxx series.

I’m not so sure that there will be a 1DC II.

2 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

I really like the 1Dx II and 4k 60p with DPAF is really unique and powerful. I just read that Philip Bloom wants to the sell his 1DC to acquire a 1Dx II. I believe he was really impressed by the DPAF and 4k 60p and I can share the reasoning.

But Canon should do a firmware update for the 1Dx II and add Log, a 1:1 crop option for 1080p 120fps (higher quality), zebra and peeking this would make It the perfect hybrid. Even paying update would be good.

Probably it will not happen, but I’m sure that they would sell even more 1Dx and probably not cannibalize the Cxxx series.

I’m not so sure that there will be a 1DC II.

The DPAF and 4k 60p are really the only selling points above it. The 1DC having a much better 1080p mode and generally slightly nicer looking image overall make me favor it in the end, but the DPAF is indeed really really nice.