DJI SSD's drop in price

Jonesy Jones

I just noticed this. 

Up until I last checked, the DJI proprietary SSD's were $1500 each. On their website, they are now $1000 each, and you can buy a bundle of 3 for $2500, making them just over $800. So now, 3 of their SSD's cost less than 2 of them did before. So, they are not cheap now, but not 'kick me in the balls' expensive either. 

http://store.dji.com/category/inspire-series

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 27 August 2016 at 9:03 PM, Jonesy Jones said:

I just noticed this. 

Up until I last checked, the DJI proprietary SSD's were $1500 each. On their website, they are now $1000 each, and you can buy a bundle of 3 for $2500, making them just over $800. So now, 3 of their SSD's cost less than 2 of them did before. So, they are not cheap now, but not 'kick me in the balls' expensive either. 

http://store.dji.com/category/inspire-series

It's about time we saw a reduction in these prices - still too expensive though. 

I'm enjoying the X5R so far (wouldn't say I love it yet) - it's got me using Resolve a lot more than before. 

3 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

It's about time we saw a reduction in these prices - still too expensive though. 

I'm enjoying the X5R so far (wouldn't say I love it yet) - it's got me using Resolve a lot more than before. 

To me the lower price is only aimed at one of the 2 fatal flaws in my opinion. The other huge issue is offloading, which as I understand it is not just as simple as dumping data. Don't you need to use their software to transcode or something? I don't even mind using their software but I don't want to have to do it on set. Just let me dump and transcode later. 

As I type this I had an idea, aren't there programs that allow you to clone a drive? Couldn't you just clone a full SSD, allowing you to dump the data, and then run that data through their software later as if it were on an SSD?

33 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

To me the lower price is only aimed at one of the 2 fatal flaws in my opinion. The other huge issue is offloading, which as I understand it is not just as simple as dumping data. Don't you need to use their software to transcode or something? I don't even mind using their software but I don't want to have to do it on set. Just let me dump and transcode later. 

As I type this I had an idea, aren't there programs that allow you to clone a drive? Couldn't you just clone a full SSD, allowing you to dump the data, and then run that data through their software later as if it were on an SSD?

I might be wrong, but I'm sure I saw something on a Facebook group about someone who has found a way of accessing the SSD without Cinelight. I was tired at the time, so can't fully remember.

You're right though, the SSD is the biggest issue with the X5R. It's not reliable with Mac's yet they cost a fortune. 

On August 27, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Jonesy Jones said:

So, they are not cheap now, but not 'kick me in the balls' expensive either. 

Now it's more 'punch me in the balls' expensive. Media costs are keeping this one out of reach. GoPro, are you listening? Bring us a Cineform drone.