GH5 10-bit 4:2:2 internal?

Germy1979

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 9/28/2016 at 7:19 AM, Mattias Burling said:

Ive been close to preorder a couple of times. Its a struggle, on one hand it's best to wait for footage and price. On the other it seems like such a nobrainer.

Hovering over the Em1ii preorder as well.

Well one of the deciding factors might be the availability of these two cameras. EM1mkii is scheduled for this year whereas GH5 for summer 2017. 

Also if the rumor of EM1mkii 10bit output is correct, then that will complicate things even more :) 

@Mattias Burling...I think judging by the footage I've seen you produce on the LS300 and owning both GH2s and GH4s, the GH5 will be a no-brainer for you...the GH4 is the only cam I pre-ordered, and actually thought of pre-order on the Terra 6K, but its for a specific project, and if the funding for that comes through, I might bite the bullet and go for the Varicam LT...will still get the GH5 as a companion camera...I've yet to sell any of my GH camera's...IMO Panny just makes camera that work and I need that reliability on a set...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, raf702 said:

Is there confirmation yet if 4K-60p is 10bit-422 internal or external?

60p isn't 10-bit 4:2:2 internally

capable of recording smooth, high-precision 4K 60p/50p and faithful 4:2:2 10-bit 4K video*3 for the first time in the world

[..] GH5 enables 4K 60p/50p and 4:2:2 10-bit 4K video recording*3

*3 In 4K/30p, 25p, 24p, 23.98p video recording.

~ official page: http://www.panasonic.com/global/consumer/lumix/gh5/

On 11/13/2016 at 10:45 AM, Kisaha said:

My question is, how much mega bytes per minute the 4K/60p and the 442 10bit needs?

That would be the bitrate these two settings have. 

If they use an H264 codec, my guess is not lower than ~200mbps (~25MB/sec) in order to have some decent quality. I would really like to see ~500mbps (~60MB/sec) but no V60 SD cards have been released yet so I doubt that will happen. 

The market for GH5 next year might be finally ready for HEVC in which case you get the same quality for about half the bitrate. 

@Don Kotlos Thank you very much for the response. I have a full NX kit and the H265 is really good, a bit too early, but now that tech and services have catch up is perfect. The codec is not that robust thought, I guess it was one of the first H265 (still haven't seen H265 in any other camera) so not perfectly efficient, but still the filesizes of 4K are very manageable.

All these things play a big part for my workflow, as I hold at least 2(to 3) backups per project, and hard drives and sd cards (or other media) is not a small concern when you build a system. For a camera that costed on average 1500$, to spend hundrends of dollars per project (a 3 hour live coverage/event) is not a small thing because low budget clients never pay for any of these.

18 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@Don Kotlos Thank you very much for the response. I have a full NX kit and the H265 is really good, a bit too early, but now that tech and services have catch up is perfect. The codec is not that robust thought, I guess it was one of the first H265 (still haven't seen H265 in any other camera) so not perfectly efficient, but still the filesizes of 4K are very manageable.

All these things play a big part for my workflow, as I hold at least 2(to 3) backups per project, and hard drives and sd cards (or other media) is not a small concern when you build a system. For a camera that costed on average 1500$, to spend hundrends of dollars per project (a 3 hour live coverage/event) is not a small thing because low budget clients never pay for any of these.

For low budget clients I would just keep the final render (and tell them of course). If you need to keep the project for referencing I would create small proxies & the project settings, cause storing everything in high quality not only drives up costs but it's pain to manage after years. You could also keep the files for 1-2 years and then delete just in case you need them again. Gia xara

They should have an SD card Slot for Both the SD UH-I and UHS-II Standard,  cause the UHS-II has a 280 MB card by SanDisk already. also, the 2nd slow should be an XQD standard card. thode are doing between 400 and 500MB right now, and could easily do much higher rates very soon. Also with wider acceptance, their prices could come down noticeably (they're pretty expensive right now). That way the GH5 could easily  be updated by Panasonic by firmware to be improved constantly (for faster readouts needed for higher bitrate and higher photo buffer). In some ways I feel the GH4 sensor is terribly noisy at almost All ISOs except perhaps ISO 200 and ISO400. And the lowlight was really bad. Hopefully Panasonic has a usable ISO 3200 noise sensor.