GH5 10-bit 4:2:2 internal?

Germy1979

13 hours ago, tugela said:

"Motion" is the new buzzword for that unquantifiable quality that makes a less sophisticated but more fashionable camera "superior". We have seen the same nonsense in the past about frame rates, bit depth, color, dynamic range, "filmic" (whatever the hell that means - it seems to change year by year). Basically it is a psychological tool to use when demonstrating one's own superiority over peers, they are lesser because they "just don't get it".

Hahaha.  This is so true.  I have been around this forum for a few years now and noticed each year theres a new obsession on one particular aspect of cameras that many people here jump on and spend a lot of time looking for good and bad examples of that one thing.  The problem is they have no idea of the settings or circumstances of the examples. And without a side by side shot with another camera you can not really make a fair judgement. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@AaronChicago: "4K 60p bit seems nearly impossible on GH4 sized body.". I see no problem here, if they increase the body size to accommodate better cooling, the camera will look even more pro and with the added space they can also put some better ADC's for a very good audio.

13 hours ago, theSUBVERSIVE said:

Panasonic has a lot of different alternatives. 8-bit 422 would still work with H.264 and U3 cards, 10-bit 422 would probably either require faster cards or H.265 HEVC codec. So at least I'm sure Panasonic wouldn't choose MJPEG.

Bit depth and color sampling don't necessitate a huge bitrate, that has more to do with compression. You can still compress the crap out of a 10-bit 4:2:2 image, case in point the FS5's 1080p modes at only 50mbit. Even just scaling that same compression by four for 4K gives us 200mbit, and the GH4 already handles that just fine.

That being said I do hope Panasonic give us higher bitrate options (that require UHS-II or V90 or whatever)- even something fairly moderate like 200mbit for 4K30, 400mbit for 4K60. Get the GOP size down. I always liked FlowMotion on the GH2, which was GOP3 I believe.

IBIS would be really nice but I feel like if it was included, and the rumors were accurate, they definitely would have mentioned it. Maybe 4K60 and 6K30 generates too much heat for the sensor to be floating so it's not possible. If so I would expect the G7 replacement to have it, but be limited to 4K30 like the GX85.

2 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

Why isn't he asking about ibis?

thats the comment I added to his post.

1 hour ago, johnnymossville said:

it's going to do 4k/60p 10bit 4:2:2, according to the newest leaks.    Right now I'm one happy camper.    Still no mention of Dual OIS/IBIS, but I'm pretty sure that'll be in there as well.

Unfortunately I fear the worst. see comment above about heating.... 

I need IBIS and proper video AF though. The AF wont happen, IBIS not sure. 

2 hours ago, aldolega said:

That being said I do hope Panasonic give us higher bitrate options (that require UHS-II or V90 or whatever)- even something fairly moderate like 200mbit for 4K30, 400mbit for 4K60. Get the GOP size down. I always liked FlowMotion on the GH2, which was GOP3 I believe.

Hey Al,

I'm also interested about this "dual SD card" implementation. Maybe it will be like the Odyssey 7Q where it alternates between two SSD's for super high data/frame rates. You would basically import the clips directly off of the camera, which would reassemble the clips into a singular .mov file. Just a thought. 

11 hours ago, wobba said:

Panasonic competes with Sony on video only.  For stills, Sony cameras are in a different league.  For me, this needs to be factored into the price since with Panasonic, I need to also commit funds to a stills outfit.

I'm just curious in which ways Panasonic cameras are severely deficient to Sony in stills photography?  In most ways except for ultra-shallow DoF or phase-detection C-AF for sports there is probably not a lot of difference?  Panasonic (and Olympus) have some excellent native lenses too.

8 minutes ago, johnnymossville said:

Heat isn't much of a Panasonic Problem,  they've always been great with heat dissipation.   I'm actually more concerned with Battery Life than Heat.   The GH4's battery life is so great I will be disappointed if the GH5 suffers in this regard. 

If the Gx80 is any indication, the battery life is much worse than it was on my Gx7 and LX100 (same battery type).  The IBIS is surely one of the causes, and any time I forget to shut it off for something like longer time lapses, it runs down so fast.  I am working on an external battery feed from USB battery bank.

33 minutes ago, sgreszcz said:

I'm just curious in which ways Panasonic cameras are severely deficient to Sony in stills photography?  In most ways except for ultra-shallow DoF or phase-detection C-AF for sports there is probably not a lot of difference?  Panasonic (and Olympus) have some excellent native lenses too.

If the Gx80 is any indication, the battery life is much worse than it was on my Gx7 and LX100 (same battery type).  The IBIS is surely one of the causes, and any time I forget to shut it off for something like longer time lapses, it runs down so fast.  I am working on an external battery feed from USB battery bank.

yep, battery life sucks with IBIS.     As far as stills,  the AF is great on the GH4 and the Image Quality is fantastic.    If you take bad pictures with the GH4 it's your fault, not the camera.    Is it perfect? of course not, no camera is. 

On 8/30/2016 at 11:10 PM, IronFilm said:

X-T2....   so $1.6K? 

That is barely more than what a GH4 has been recently. 

If they go nuts and give us 4K 60p 10bit 422 internal then I don't think a full two thousand dollars is at all unreasonable. The Nikon D500 is a crop sensor camera and goes for the same price.

Will still be heaps and heaps cheaper than any comparable Sony or Canon or BMD competitor.

That may make sense if most units are moved because of video.

The Nikon D500 is a sports DSLR.  Its special features are fast autofocus, 10 fps, and native support the the Nikon trove of lenses.  It's a beast when it comes to stills.  No M43 camera can match it.  So if you are selling a M43 camera for the same price it is all about the video.  The debate is how many units can you shift at $2,000 based solely on video?  Stills shooters are not going to buy that thing at that price.  And the stills market is way bigger than the video market.

Also the average video shooter is not going to mess with vlog and 10 bit 4:2:2.

Honestly if Canon made a camera with C100 1080p 24p level of image quality in an APS-C body I would get that assuming the price was reasonable (ie $1,200).  I would like to get an image out of a camera that is pretty much 80% or more there.  The BMPCC's image is very gradable but I don't like having to grade everything.  And I don't necessarily want to pay the money and deal with 4k bloat.

But of course I won't turn my nose up at a Panasonic GH5 for $1,500 assuming it arrives with all the rumored features intact.  Just fooling around with raw and 10 bit prores 4:2:2 I can't imagine mainstream people ever wanting to deal with that.  I have such a backlog of videos that need to be color corrected, graded and edited.  I just don't have the time and I need to upgrade my graphics card... and my monitor setup.