GH5 10-bit 4:2:2 internal?

Germy1979

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

guys, forgive me of not running into resolution numbers counting and all the math behind it, but in terms of IQ do you thing it will be a noticeable difference with the new sensor, bit it 20, or 24 real res.? i mean the higer the number the less is going to be the DR of the image, isn't it? or maybe with 4.2.2 internally and v-log will see a bump of 1 stop in DR, that is what i hope for. Maybe a new codec like a sort of prores will be more important that the stupid 6k resolution itself. what do you think?

Panasonic needs to work on Dynamic Range first, then Color, Noise Level and finally Motion.......

Just wanting to add more pixels definitely doesn't make it a better tool.......

GH4 image while greatly detailed and sharp overall lacks depth, colors and most importantly motion. This is something more professional cameras get correct, so simply throwing more pixels doesn't solve this problem. Alexa Mini 2.8k RAW I would choose over Dragon 6k........

So in retrospect, keep the sensor 4k and work on all of the other aspects as resolution was never a problem!

50 minutes ago, j.f.r. said:

Panasonic needs to work on Dynamic Range first, then Color, Noise Level and finally Motion.......

GH4 image while greatly detailed and sharp overall lacks depth, colors and most importantly motion.

While I agree completely about the resolution, isn't motion entirely dependent on the framerate and shutter speed? What else there is to "get it right"?

24fps is just naturally very limiting in what kind of motion can you do..

36 minutes ago, EspenB said:

It can take 60 pcs of 4K frames and then you can select which one captured the moment best.

Thank you. 

Does this imply the 4k60fps video of the GH5 can only be recorded in bursts... or is this just an extra stills feature alongside a normal  4k 60fps video mode? 

1 minute ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Thank you. 

Does this imply the 4k60fps video of the GH5 can only be recorded in bursts... or is this just an extra stills feature alongside a normal  4k 60fps video mode? 

I don't think it makes sense to provide 4K 60fps only at Photo 4K and in bursts. The DVX200 has normal video 4K 60fps, just like the just announced 1" HC-X1 4K camera. Why would Panasonic offer 4K 60fps in these cameras but only Photo 4K in the GH5? It wouldn't make any sense, so maybe it's just 4K 60fps PLUS 60fps in Photo 4K.

1 hour ago, theSUBVERSIVE said:

If Panasonic doesn't put IBIS in the GH5, a lot of people will be very mad about it. If the GX85 has it and it can record 30min of 4K, I don't see why the GH5 wouldn't. There should be at least the option to get no time limit in 4K without IBIS and 30min with IBIS if that's the case.

I will be stunned if it doesn't have IBIS.

34 minutes ago, zetty said:

Isn't motion 100% dependent o

While I agree completely about the resolution, isn't motion entirely dependent on the framerate and shutter speed? What else there is to "get it right"?

24fps is just naturally very limiting in what kind of motion can you do..

"Motion" is the new buzzword for that unquantifiable quality that makes a less sophisticated but more fashionable camera "superior". We have seen the same nonsense in the past about frame rates, bit depth, color, dynamic range, "filmic" (whatever the hell that means - it seems to change year by year). Basically it is a psychological tool to use when demonstrating one's own superiority over peers, they are lesser because they "just don't get it".

18 minutes ago, theSUBVERSIVE said:

I don't think it makes sense to provide 4K 60fps only at Photo 4K and in bursts. The DVX200 has normal video 4K 60fps, just like the just announced 1" HC-X1 4K camera. Why would Panasonic offer 4K 60fps in these cameras but only Photo 4K in the GH5? It wouldn't make any sense, so maybe it's just 4K 60fps PLUS 60fps in Photo 4K.

If it was available in true 10bit and was a decent bitrate, that would be insane......

But of course, that would depend on the actual image itself, something the spec-shy Canon's get so right. 

8 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Absolutely fake, and if true, it would certainly cost the same as an FS5 minimum. Besides, how can it be 20mp and output 6k ? Wouldnt it have to be at least 28mpx?

~18 mpixels would be the minimum for 6K, if you do fake resolution like Canon. With an oversampled sensor to account for debeyering, to reach true 6K resolution you would need about 36 mpixels. Accounting for extra pixels, a 20 mpixel sensor could produce a 6K image, with an effective color resolution of around 4K.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

New info

I am told they are indeed using a multi-aspect sensor.

It measures 18.9mm x 13mm in approx. 3:2 aspect ratio

20MP stills but the total resolution of the chip is 24MP

24MP 3:2 is approximately 6000 x 4000 (just like the Sony A6300 in 3:2 stills mode).

Then the 6K photo mode is 3:2 with full sensor readout up to 30fps burst.

The normal stills mode is a 20MP 4:3 crop of the sensor. This is why 43rumours say 20MP sensor.

The 4K video is a 16:9 crop of the sensor using the full 6K width but downsampling on the chip.

Absolutely take this is a rumour until confirmed.

But it makes total sense to me... There is *no other way* of getting 6K photos from a 20MP 4:3 sensor like that featured on the GX8.

But isn't it a bit weird? I'm not sure Panasonic would offer or advertise this 6K 30fps burst only for stills, all stills things Panasonic has done has always had 4:3 as a priority.

For me 6K Photo Mode is just something the source called it by itself, in the end it might just mean that the GH5 can do a full sensor 30 burst in multi aspect for a limited buffer.

6 hours ago, sudopera said:

Who knows, maybe they decided to upscale the video internally a bit, but frankly I don't see the logic there.

Horizontal resolution does not need to match vertical resolution. Remember in the old days we used to have non square pixels that were converted on display. Something similar could be done in camera to account for aspect differences.

19 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

If it was available in true 10bit and was a decent bitrate, that would be insane......

But of course, that would depend on the actual image itself, something the spec-shy Canon's get so right. 

I can see Panasonic offering 10-bit 422 in 4K, but I wouldn't be so sure about what other video modes would get that same 10-bit 422. 60fps in 4K might be just the usual 8-bit 420, I wonder if 1080p will also get the 10-bit 422 or even the slow motion, hopefully yes. With 10-bit 422 the downsampling 4K to 1080p doesn't offer as much advantage as when it's 8-bit 420 so unless you'll be cropping for some new pans or new framing within the 4K, having 1080p 10-bit 422 can save a lot of card and time.

27 minutes ago, tugela said:

"Motion" is the new buzzword for that unquantifiable quality that makes a less sophisticated but more fashionable camera "superior". We have seen the same nonsense in the past about frame rates, bit depth, color, dynamic range, "filmic" (whatever the hell that means - it seems to change year by year). Basically it is a psychological tool to use when demonstrating one's own superiority over peers, they are lesser because they "just don't get it".

I can see you just don't get it ?

2 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

I guess 6k is going to become pretty standard for high end hybrid camera out in 2017 and 2018. I'm sure that itd be already possible on nx1 if Samsung had continued its support via fw updates.

Since the NX1 does a full sensor read and downconverts the result, it probably is capable of doing 6K. The output would likely not be too different from what we currently have however, since the effective resolution of that 6K output would still only be 4K. The full sensor read in the NX1 is the reason why it is the king of resolution currently.

2 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I can see you just don't get it ?

I get it fine. I just don't drink the cool aid.

14 minutes ago, theSUBVERSIVE said:

For me 6K Photo Mode is just something the source called it by itself, in the end it might just mean that the GH5 can do a full sensor 30 burst in multi aspect for a limited buffer.

That's my take on it too.

Heck yea this looks amazing!!!! MY GOD in comparison to the 5DIV this thing is a godsend for videographers. I am so freaking stoked for this you have no idea, like frothing at the mouth for 10 bit internal 422 and 5 axis IBIS. I really hope these specs are true and I seriously hope panasonic kill it. Once again they have a chance to be groundbreaking just like the GH4 was..... Andrew, can you confirm whether or not you've spoken to anyone from Panasonic about meeting up with them at Photokina and potentially doing what you did with the GH4 in terms of getting early hands on? I loved your GH4 hands on so much I bought the guide when you released along with the anamorphic shooters guide. Would love to know if you'll get a shot at doing that this time.