GH5 10-bit 4:2:2 internal?

Germy1979

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
8 minutes ago, ThomHaig said:

Looks like the gh5 is sizing up to be a very nice piece of kit!I ddon't know if it would take an innovation from Panasonic or metabones,  but I'd love to see full 5 axis stabilisation on adapted lenses! 

That already exist in other cameras so totally doable.

16 minutes ago, The Chris said:

The overhype machine is churning at full speed. Prepare to be letdown. 10-bit 4:2:2 and IBIS in a $1500 body ain't happening. That's a $3000 camera, if not a $5000 camera.  

Prepare for 5d4 levels of disappointment.

Oh I thought you wheren't disappointed on the 5d4 :blush:.  You're going to hate when they come out with those specs at 1500-1600 dollars. Because you spent your money on Canon all over again.

29 minutes ago, The Chris said:

The overhype machine is churning at full speed. Prepare to be letdown. 10-bit 4:2:2 and IBIS in a $1500 body ain't happening. That's a $3000 camera, if not a $5000 camera.  

Nope, Panasonic doesn't have Canon's knack or track record of such epic level let downs.

46 minutes ago, The Chris said:

Sure A6300 cheaper than 5Dmc4

with tons of spec lets not go there 

Panny aint canon when it comes to dissapoontments 

55 minutes ago, Cassius McGowan said:

Oh I thought you wheren't disappointed on the 5d4 :blush:.  You're going to hate when they come out with those specs at 1500-1600 dollars. Because you spent your money on Canon all over again.

So Panasonic is going to crush the everything they sell under $25,000 at the three year old GH4's price?

SMH. 

44 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Nope, Panasonic doesn't have Canon's knack or track record of such epic level let downs.

Anyone expecting the spec bouncing around this thread at the GH4's price is delusional.

So let me get this straight, Panny is going to release a camera that kills the FS5, C100 and pretty much everything under $5000, and they're going to sell it for $1500? Instead of selling it for $5000?

Jeezus this board doesn't live in the real world, might as well bring Ebrahim back to tell tall tales about Canon colors. 

39 minutes ago, The Chris said:

So Panasonic is going to crush the everything they sell under $25,000 at the three year old GH4's price?

SMH. 

Anyone expecting the spec bouncing around this thread at the GH4's price is delusional.

So let me get this straight, Panny is going to release a camera that kills the FS5, C100 and pretty much everything under $5000, and they're going to sell it for $1500? Instead of selling it for $5000?

Jeezus this board doesn't live in the real world, might as well bring Ebrahim back to tell tall tales about Canon colors. 

So you're saying panny isn't going to put everything that's in the GX85 cam into the GH5? How would it kill the FS5? Thats the same as saying people would buy a 5d4 instead of a c100 mark ii. :dizzy:

47 minutes ago, Cassius McGowan said:

So you're saying panny isn't going to put everything that's in the GX85 cam into the GH5? How would it kill the FS5? Thats the same as saying people would buy a 5d4 instead of a c100 mark ii. :dizzy:

Didn't know that the GX85 had 4:2:2 10-bit internal....

I think the point is that the FS5 does 1080p 4:2:2 10-bit internal, 4:2:0 8-bit 4k internal at $5k+ and many here are suggesting that the GH5 will not only do 4k 10-bit 4:2:2 with no crop internally, but also bring it in at a $1500 price point.

Dream all you like, but it ain't gonna happen. 

Panasonic aren't dumb. Even if such features came in the form of a GH5, they're going to price it where they can make as much money as possible.

Sometimes it feels like people forget these companies exist to make money.

1 hour ago, The Chris said:

SMH. 

Panasonic has *nothing* priced under the Varicam LT as an ILC to protect at all.

Unlike Canon, or Sony (but Sony often ignores "protecting" their higher end gear, the FS7 is one classic case). 

55 minutes ago, Cassius McGowan said:

The FS5 and GH5 are from different companies! Is complete bonkers of Chris to think Panasonic wouldn't put something in the GH5 because Panasonic fears taking away sales fron the FS5??!?!

I think the most likely possibility is 10-bit 4:2:2 1080p and 8-bit 4:2:0 4K internal, with 10-bit 4:2:2 4K external recording. 120/1080, LOG, IBIS, and improved noise/DR.

I'd love if they kept the same body design and just improved the guts/display/EVF. It's ergonomically wonderful and that battery has spoiled me for anything else.

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Panasonic has *nothing* priced under the Varicam LT as an ILC to protect at all.

Unlike Canon, or Sony (but Sony often ignores "protecting" their higher end gear, the FS7 is one classic case). 

The FS5 and GH5 are from different companies! Is complete bonkers of Chris to think Panasonic wouldn't put something in the GH5 because Panasonic fears taking away sales fron the FS5??!?!

It's not about taking away sales from the FS5... Of course they would want to do that, they're just not going to give away professional features at prosumer/enthusiast prices. That's not how economics works. It's like the old saying why charge a dollar if they'll pay five?

So, if these rumors are true expect to pay about $2999 for them.

I assume with the release of the GX85 at 900 USD, then the G8 will be more than a grand... Maybe even closer to 1500 with full kit and then the GH5 will be priced accordingly. 

26 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Panasonic have to stay relevant in a FF/S35 world.

This means new features for a good price.

Exactly.

26 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Someone will break the 8bit limit... Panasonic might see this as a way to bring more to the m43 system. 

Exactly #2. 

Panasonic was the first (and still ONLY!) to offer 10bit external from a mirrorless/DSLR. 

I'd put a bet on them being first to offer 10bit internal as well, the only big question is... will it be with the GH5 or GH6?? Answer the "GH5" is where the smart money is.

10bit won't be enough for the GH5 to obsolete cameras like the FS5. Some limitations will remain: the MFT sensor will have about one step less light sensitivity/twice as much noise as a S35 sensor, the body won't be as robust (and not as optimized for video shooting), audio interfaces will be less professional, and the image will be more geared to amateur demand (with no possibility to completely dial out artificial sharpening).

I think, of all the manufacturers, Panasonic are more clued up about the fact the a small form DSLR/Hybrid will not disrupt their mid and high range.

When you take into account their mid range is now just a fixed lends ENG camera (DVX200), you can see why reports of 10bit/4:2:2 internal make some sense.

I would imagine that there is sold at least thousand <$2000 cameras for each $4000-7000 camera. Makes one wonder how much point is doing anything but best at that <$2000 price point. Winning there is huge, winning in $4000-7000 segment not so much.

10 hours ago, The Chris said:

SMH. 

Hahahahahahahaha. 

See, even the GH4 seriously outsold Panasonic's expected numbers, and thus production had to be seriously ramped up.

If Canon makes $100 on the C100 in net profits, then probably Panasonic makes $500 on GH4 (these numbers were obviously Very different, initially). But the GH4 probably sold like 50-100 times as much as he C100. So, in the end the pricing isn't governed by anything except net profits.

That is why field monitors cost so much more than Smartphones, despite the kind of features and technology found on each device.

At $2500 the GH5 can make a killing for a 4k 4-2-2 device, if it can attract a certain minimum numbers of people, who will primarily use it for stills. The DSLR/DSLM filmmaking community is still a very small proportion of the DSLR/DSLM buyers, and therefore its photography features would be a huge governing factor for its sales figures.