GH5 10-bit 4:2:2 internal?

Germy1979

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
38 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

Rec709 preview is crucial, anamorphic desqueeze would be also very welcome!

Good points those!

18 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I'd love to see a battery grip that unlocks other features (higher fps), unlike the YAGHYAGHYAGHYAGH.

Good point.

YAGH was a really bad decision. It should always have been in the form of a battery grip

2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

YAGH was a really bad decision. It should always have been in the form of a battery grip

Nah, I'd rather have it in the form factor of the Sony XLR-K2M to help keep it even more compact. 

But if you have the choice of either battery grip size for audio or a XLR-K2M styled option, then that is cool too.

In the past, Panasonic's cameras have always featured playback compatibility with their TVs.  Their current HDR UHD TVs feature native H.265/HEVC and VP9 decoding at 10 bits.  I am not aware of 10 bit H.264 decoding support in these TVs.  So there's a good possibility this camera will actually record in HEVC and even have a built in HDR profile (HDR10?) in addition to Log profile for those of us who will grade the images offline.  I could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem to make logical sense to shoot in a codec that won't be playback-compatible with their HDR capable TVs, especially considering product lifecycles can run as long as 3 years for a GH.  Why hang on to H.264 for another 2-3 years?

1 minute ago, MaxAperture Films said:

In the past, Panasonic's cameras have always featured playback compatibility with their TVs.  Their current HDR UHD TVs feature native H.265/HEVC and VP9 decoding at 10 bits.  I am not aware of 10 bit H.264 decoding support in these TVs.  So there's a good possibility this camera will actually record in HEVC and even have a built in HDR profile (HDR10?) in addition to Log profile for those of us who will grade the images offline.  I could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem to make logical sense to shoot in a codec that won't be playback-compatible with their HDR capable TVs, especially considering product lifecycles can run as long as 3 years for a GH.  Why hang on to H.264 for another 2-3 years?

It will be a clever solution to adopt H.265 for 10-bit, I'm not sure they would roll down the option for all video formats but if they can do that at least for the internal 10-bit that's enough to not need a higher bit rate card. But that's quite an advancement for Panasonic, I wonder if they will really do that. Does Panasonic have their own HEVC 10-bit codec?

1 minute ago, theSUBVERSIVE said:

It will be a clever solution to adopt H.265 for 10-bit, I'm not sure they would roll down the option for all video formats but if they can do that at least for the internal 10-bit that's enough to not need a higher bit rate card. But that's quite an advancement for Panasonic, I wonder if they will really do that. Does Panasonic have their own HEVC 10-bit codec?

That looks amazing, but now we are dreaming at a 1500$ cameras having better spec than their cinema line.

If 10bit 4K internal comes in the GH5 (as we are now expecting) then Panasonic has won the game of camera wars for this round.

Panasonic was first mirrorless/DSLR with 10bit external before anybody else, now it looks like Panasonic will be first with 10bit internal before anyone else had even caught up and offered 10bit external aside from Panasonic!!

1 minute ago, wolf33d said:

That looks amazing, but now we are dreaming at a 1500$ cameras having better spec than their cinema line.

It's not really better specs, moreover for Cinema a H.265 codec is not something they would want, it doesn't match the Cinema workflow and as for the rest, the image quality of the GH5 will be nowhere near of the Varicam, no one that can buy or rent a Varicam will ditch that for a GH5, they don't really compete with each other in that aspect.

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

If 10bit 4K internal comes in the GH5 (as we are now expecting) then Panasonic has won the game of camera wars for this round.

Panasonic was first mirrorless/DSLR with 10bit external before anybody else, now it looks like Panasonic will be first with 10bit internal before anyone else had even caught up and offered 10bit external aside from Panasonic!!

It's not even so much a matter of catching up. Having the FS5 and FS7, I really doubt Sony will offer internal 10-bit, Canon doesn't even care about video so much for their DSLR, so maybe no one else would even adopt it besides Panasonic. I would have more faith in Leica maybe even Fuji doing that before Sony and Canon or anybody else or that matter.

1 minute ago, mercer said:

God, I hope it's not h.265. Sure you save card space, but transcoding times take forever, especially if you're downscaling to 1080p ProRes. 

But that should change in the future, the new CPU, GPU are all compatible with H.265, the number of software and hardware that support H.265 should increase as well. An easy solution would be to transcode from H.265 to H.264 if you want, sure you would need and extra transcode before editing, but from there it would be all the same. But why downscaling to 1080p instead of keeping 4K?

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Flynn said:

I don't speak French but raw to an atomos? Are we getting greedy? The GH5 would be back on top in terms of cameras with this form factor. I bet they will have improved upon the IBIS as well. Yes, I'm definitely getting greedy.

Atomos have always said that the Shogun can record raw-prores or raw-rawDNG with firmware. When I asked from what, they said, from any camera that desire to do so.

They have just been waiting for a camera manufacturer who wants to do it.

And its +2 years since I had that conversation with them. Since then the Raw-prores has already been introduced.

(I wonder if the 10bit will be HD only)

7 minutes ago, theSUBVERSIVE said:

It's not really better specs, moreover for Cinema a H.265 codec is not something they would want, it doesn't match the Cinema workflow and as for the rest, the image quality of the GH5 will be nowhere near of the Varicam, no one that can buy or rent a Varicam will ditch that for a GH5, they don't really compete with each other in that aspect.

It's not even so much a matter of catching up. Having the FS5 and FS7, I really doubt Sony will offer internal 10-bit, Canon doesn't even care about video so much for their DSLR, so maybe no one else would even adopt it besides Panasonic. I would have more faith in Leica maybe even Fuji doing that before Sony and Canon or anybody else or that matter.

But that should change in the future, the new CPU, GPU are all compatible with H.265, the number of software and hardware that support H.265 should increase as well. An easy solution would be to transcode from H.265 to H.264 if you want, sure you would need and extra transcode before editing, but from there it would be all the same. But why downscaling to 1080p instead of keeping 4K?

I just don't have the computer power to edit in 4K and since most of the stuff I do only requires 1080p, I downscale before I edit. And since I am a FCPX user, ProRes is the obvious choice. Plus I think the downscale adds a little heft to the sometimes brittle video like image coming out of the Panasonics. But to be fair, their IQ has jumped leaps and bounds with the release of the GX85, so I imagine the GH5 will be stunning. 

8 minutes ago, mercer said:

I just don't have the computer power to edit in 4K and since most of the stuff I do only requires 1080p, I downscale before I edit. And since I am a FCPX user, ProRes is the obvious choice. Plus I think the downscale adds a little heft to the sometimes brittle video like image coming out of the Panasonics. But to be fair, their IQ has jumped leaps and bounds with the release of the GX85, so I imagine the GH5 will be stunning. 

Well, for you then it would be good if Panasonic would offer a 10-bit 1080p then, you won't gain as much using a 10-bit 4K to 1080p as you do with 8-bit 420 files.

3 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

the BM Video Assist alredy does 4:2:2 10bit to SD cards, why so surprised?

Is it 4k though?  I mean my BMPCC does raw to SD cards but it isn't 4k.

37 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I wonder what caveats we are missing.  Depending on the price it sounds like my BMPCC needs to find a new home.  May have to go without a camera for awhile while I wait for the GH5 to drift down a bit in price.  The $1,699 price at release for the GH4 was a bit much for my budget.

I really just wonder how the colors and codec are going to compare to the BMPCC.  If we are really getting 10 bit 4:2:2 internally with at least BMPCC level colors and codec I'm in.  IBIS completely seals the deal.