Andrew Reid

1.74x - A Crop Odyssey - Canon 5D Mark IV officially announced

In 2016 I'm quite indifferent to Canon product launches tbh. Maybe couple of year ago I'd be really frustrated if Canon released a successor to the 5DIII that was this lackluster. But there are so many other options out there now. I don't even buy Canon lenses anymore! There is so much variety it's great :) 

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 hours ago, Photato said:

Canon is being a dick by not providing UHD. Just give me a reason why they did not? I'll be waiting

Yes, not providing a uhd option is bogus... but the mjpeg and poor quality 1080p are really inexcusable. I was hoping to pickup the mkiv as a b-cam to my 1dx mkii. However, I can see my plans will now need to change.   

A pity really. The video  from the new camera looks good, but that crop is disappointing. Low light is not as good as the 1dx mkii... no tilt screen. The reduced weight would have been great on a gimbal,  but alas, this is Canon. 

Btw Canon, I'll take that CLog firmware update on the 1dx mkii... quit holding back on basic features... and fix the hd mode... my smartphone is sharper... no, really!

On 8/25/2016 at 7:11 PM, myJTP said:

Luke... I have to say THANK YOU for posting CLEAR and true statements about the 5Dmk4... It seems EVERYONE is blindly hating on this camera because it doesn't do a FF [email protected] video, take photos, brush your teeth, comb your hair, and take out your trash. There is never going to be a PERFECT camera let alone one for under $2999.  And if ANYONE thinking a GH5 is going to be a stellar STILLS camera has got to be kidding themselves.  Canon has made no bones about the fact that the 5Dmk4 is a STILLs camera first and foremost with really good basic video features which are MORE than useable in capable hands.  I also find it VERY interesting the people who crap on canon the most never want to show their own demo reel of work.... just my two cents... thanks Luke and keep hope alive!! Let the bashing begin ;)

P.S. Im very interesting in see how the Fuji X-T2 does for 4K even though it's a dreaded 1.7 crop I always liked Fuji Colors and its a pretty nice priced option.

I think the biggest problem with the argument that the 5DMkIV is a "stills camera" is perhaps the fact that canon make another "stills camera"... for the same price, called the 5DSR... and that camera can shoot 50mp stills. So if you're into stills you might be better served with that model.

Andrew ...
"I believe 1.64 is overly generous.
Relative to the full frame sensor is is 1.74
My pre-release calculations based on 30MP were right... around 1.7x crop.
It certainly looks like it based on the 8MP hole in the 30MP frame.
A severe crop make no mistake
Don't let the 'explorers of light' sugar coat it by making comparisons to Super 35mm!"

Check out 9m:48s into this Canon promo. video which gives Canons version of what the 4K crop factor is on the 5D MK. 4
http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/08/26/canon-usa-provide-an-in-depth-look-at-the-video-functions-of-the-5d-mark-iv/

2 hours ago, DBounce said:

I think the biggest problem with the argument that the 5DMkIV is a "stills camera" is perhaps the fact that canon make another "stills camera"... for the same price, called the 5DSR... and that camera can shoot 50mp stills. So if you're into stills you might be better served with that model.

High mp isn't the end all spec for a stills camera.

I'm not surprised. Aside from the unreliable promo videos, with questionable grades, I expect the actual quality of the video to be similar to the 1DX II, aside from the difference in crop and frame rates. Then again, the 1DX II is almost double the price of the 5D IV, so it's reasonable to expect some differences.

The 5D IV is at a similar price point to the Sony a7r II, which has its own drawbacks. Color science versus crop factor? Either will be a deal breaker for some, or minor obstacles for many others. 

Still, the 5D IV has the best implementation of video autofocus on the market, quality 4K (despite the crop), good colors out of the box, rugged body and proven reliability, and of course the widest range of available lenses. 

Right now, there are only two small cameras with usable video autofocus that doesn't have some MAJOR operational limitation (a6300): The Sony a7r II and the 5d IV.

Glad to see more tools out there. 

On 8/26/2016 at 7:28 PM, Damphousse said:

Don't hold your breath.

This is the gear room at Canon's London Olympics office...

canongear2.jpg

canons-camera-room-at-the-olympics-is-ph

And they did it again for Rio...

Canon-Rio-Olympics-1.jpg

I somehow doubt Panasonic or Olympus have similar support infrastructure for sports photographers.

5107.jpg?w=720&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

The people have spoken.

Yep, I've seen that / those. But the agency / wire world is a very specific case and I wonder how many of those photographers are buying their own gear?

1 hour ago, independent said:

I'm not surprised. Aside from the unreliable promo videos, with questionable grades, I expect the actual quality of the video to be similar to the 1DX II, aside from the difference in crop and frame rates. Then again, the 1DX II is almost double the price of the 5D IV, so it's reasonable to expect some differences.

The 5D IV is at a similar price point to the Sony a7r II, which has its own drawbacks. Color science versus crop factor? Either will be a deal breaker for some, or minor obstacles for many others. 

Still, the 5D IV has the best implementation of video autofocus on the market, quality 4K (despite the crop), good colors out of the box, rugged body and proven reliability, and of course the widest range of available lenses. 

Right now, there are only two small cameras with usable video autofocus that doesn't have some MAJOR operational limitation (a6300): The Sony a7r II and the 5d IV.

Glad to see more tools out there. 

The 5DIV has significant rolling shutter in 4K which, I would add, is a major operational limitation. So rule this out as well. 

3 minutes ago, DPC said:

Yep, I've seen that / those. But the agency / wire world is a very specific case and I wonder how many of those photographers are buying their own gear?

What matters is what the spectators will buy. They are the once that makes money for the camera makers. Not the 50 pros but the 50 000 others in the arena.

Now, what do you think they will buy. Is it the same brand as they saw all the pros use? Or perhaps something from the company that makes their heat pump or old VCR.

My guess is the former.

BTW I work with professional photographers almost daily. So far I have never ever seen anything but Canon or Nikon. Unless we are talking light web content where its mostly compacts or phones. 

46 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

What matters is what the spectators will buy. They are the once that makes money for the camera makers. Not the 50 pros but the 50 000 others in the arena.

Now, what do you think they will buy. Is it the same brand as they saw all the pros use? Or perhaps something from the company that makes their heat pump or old VCR.

My guess is the former.

BTW I work with professional photographers almost daily. So far I have never ever seen anything but Canon or Nikon. Unless we are talking light web content where its mostly compacts or phones. 

For my pro work this year I've been using either my Sony A7R II or Panasonic or Olympus MFT. Clients don't seem to care much what camera I use because they trust me and, frankly, I have much preferred using the MFT cameras. While Canons and Nikons are still the norm, I see an awful lot of Sonys and almost everyone I know has either a MFT or APSC "everyday" camera.

12 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Hmm, yeah.  Everything that's wrong with youtube digital "content" on display with that vid.  Amazing, really.  I do wonder when/if people will move on from this sort of stuff?  I guess if the printed published word hasn't been able to get away from hacks in the half a millennium since it's been around, video won't be able to either.

Actually, I suppose if one is mentally at the level to appreciate this sort of clickhole, then they'll probably keep coming back to it.  Folks will always be drawn to that which caters to their level.

13 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Hmm, yeah.  Everything that's wrong with youtube digital "content" on display with that vid.  Amazing, really.  I do wonder when/if people will move on from this sort of stuff?  I guess if the printed published word hasn't been able to get away from hacks in the half a millennium since it's been around, video won't be able to either.

Actually, I suppose if one is mentally at the level to appreciate this sort of clickhole, then they'll probably keep coming back to it.  Folks will always be drawn to that which caters to their level.

Yeah people are the worst, listening to a full time pro that shoots all over the world 365 days a year, how dare they.
They definitely should ask the folks online that spend most their time online and haven't touched their camera in years. Their the once that know the specs. Their the once that have all the charts, numbers and statistics. All far more important than experience when giving advice or sharing an opinion.

Any who, I started watching Veep this weekend. Funny show.
And I totally lost it when this scene came on. Very fun, true and current :)

^ that's pretty funny mattias, but actually kind of counter argumentative. i don't know what that Youtuber's pedigree is and it probably is a lot more impressive then mine or most here yet I had to stop watching when the guy's number one reason for claiming the 5D IV is the most important announcement of 2016 is because... "well it's a 5D" !

honestly a little tired of all these VIP YT experts all rushing to brash conclusions (wether positive or negative) over a camera most haven't even handled yet (DPreview being the rare exception and remaining somewhat neutral presenting facts not opinions). it sounds more like a click race then actual insightful knowledge. 5D is surely the biggest announcement.. for the press.. that i will concede..

19 minutes ago, Django said:

... i don't know what that Youtuber's pedigree is ...

He is a full time stills shooter. Travels a lot and also does reviews, workshops, etc. 
Probably more famous for his name before youtube made everyone change. He used to be called "That Nikon Guy" because he is probably the biggest Nikon fan on youtube.

BTW, from the description:
"Hey Folks - sorry if I wasn't clear enough - a bit rushed. I am not suggesting it is the most jaw dropping - or perfect. But I firmly believe it will be a classic. That in 3 years, when everyone has forgotten the latest 2016 mirrorless or dslr (that has already been updated twice) - pros will still be using these daily. My second choice (so far) would be the Nikon D500."

He also started using the Sony A7x professionally and loved it. But he had to stop after their absolute disaster with tech support.
(IMO, what tha hell was Sony thinking. If they cant fix this huys camera, what are the odds that they would fix mine or yours?.
If I was Sony I would have flown him in a private jet to Tokyo and had the president deliver a new camera on his/hers bare knees ;) )