1.74x - A Crop Odyssey - Canon 5D Mark IV officially announced

Andrew Reid

Ok Mattias, I've now watched the rest of it... He reads specs from Adorama off his smartphone. Praises the video aspect with no mention of crop factor or lack of C-log assist features etc.. Talks about how Canon gear just works.. Then plugs his video tutorials. What exactly am I missing here dude??

PS: i much prefer/value your very own concise & reflected 5 reasons why vids then this rushed mess..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 28 de agosto de 2016 at 1:35 PM, Django said:

As if the crop factor wasn't bad enough news, here comes rolling shutter results...

I just can`t believe this!!!!!, is this real?

it is hard to believe that 5D IV had the same jello than A6300, really would like to see a second source test.

25 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

I just can`t believe this!!!!!, is this real?

it is hard to believe that 5D IV had the same jello than A6300, really would like to see a second source test.

Holy crap. That's horrific and a huge mistake from Canon. The rolling shutter on the A6300 is TERRIBLE. The fact that this is worse blows my mind.

10 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Its his opinion he puts out there for people to agree or disagree with.

I got no problem with opinion.  I'm just weary of the YT culture that extolls about this camera or that camera.  Usually with click-bait titles like "Best Ever," "[insert brand here] Killer," "Camera of the Year!" etc.

And the cliche' of apologizing about 20 things wrong about their production at the top of the video?  That's always common and amusing. 

"Sorry for the noise.  My cat has explosive diarrhea, but I need to film this right next to the kitty litter box.  Also, I left my polarizer in my Mom's basement so please excuse the over-exposure."

I believe that if you film the screen to make a rolling shutter test, It will get the rolling shutter that the camera has plus the one from the camera that is filming the screen.

So this test is doesn't seem good to me. For this test to be accurate you need to grab a frame from a pan that goes from point A to point B in X seconds and then draw a vertical line and do the maths. But 4k always comes with more RS.

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Yeah, not quite sure what to make of that vid. Interviewer promises hard questions...eh? Does not seem too knowledgeable either. Simply accepting the explanation on the codec and crop, no questions (I believe) on missing basic video features as peaking and giving the general impression of just being very happy to be invited...

But the rep makes Canon's goals clear: 100% reliability from a camera that is primarily for stills, but can produce quality video as well.

Doesn't sound too ambitious for this price range and from a camera line with this legacy. As such they leave a lot of room for the competition to sweep up hybrid shooters. Based on specs/value, but also on people's dissappointment and feeling of not being taken seriously.

One can hope that that hybrid userbase and their buying decisions are significant enough to make Canon change its ways (...and surprise the world with a nice feature-rich firmware update) :-)

On 8/25/2016 at 2:24 AM, wolf33d said:

So I might grab a D810 + GH5, but then 2 cameras with 2 systems of lens.... And my main use is travel (think 5-10 days trek in Rockies, Patagonia, Iceland, ...) so I am quite pissed. 
I tought the A7RII was the one. Bought it, traveled 2 weeks in Cuba and it appeared it was not enjoyable to use (such a pain to switch from stills setup to video setup, poor ergonomics, etc). But here we are the GH5 might be the best camera on the market for its size for video, and the D810 is the best world landscape camera under 20k$ (phase one anyone..?)

Why not an a7S for video and an a7R for stills? That way you have two bodies, but get to share the same lenses.

Just now, IronFilm said:

Why not an a7S for video and an a7R for stills? That way you have two bodies, but get to share the same lenses.

Would be good if ergonomics was better. They have the specs but the bodies and overall menus and so on are bad imo. 
Maybe the future A9...

On 8/25/2016 at 8:01 AM, theSUBVERSIVE said:

As an add-on to this topic, JVC could launch a new LS300 or even an LS500 or something with better built, FS5-like modular design and slow motion. From what I've seen after it got the log firmware update, the LS300 is a pretty good camera, it just lacks 120 fps and IBIS.

A JVC LS500 with 10bit internal & FS5 size would be smashing!

Is the crop factor really 1.74? Or with 4K DCI it's 1.62? If it's 1.62, it's exactly the same as in BM cameras and Red, which actually is a S35 crop. The 8.8 Mp frame grab looks the same as Red. Now, getting wide on a s35 camera is always tough. But getting wider on a FF with 11-16 Tokina had also been tough. No? 

7 hours ago, Subrata Sen said:

Is the crop factor really 1.74? Or with 4K DCI it's 1.62? If it's 1.62, it's exactly the same as in BM cameras and Red, which actually is a S35 crop. The 8.8 Mp frame grab looks the same as Red. Now, getting wide on a s35 camera is always tough. But getting wider on a FF with 11-16 Tokina had also been tough. No? 

I just played around today with my 5Dmk4 - 4K24 and the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 I think it will do a great job replacing my 16-35 on the full frame 1080 mode

On 9/4/2016 at 7:01 PM, IronFilm said:

That's what I have. However, the A7R2 is the favour, 2 video modes, and exellent stills. Canon camras are somewhat more snappy to shoot with (5d4 and 1dx2), the A7r2 take time to write the stills to the card, like the 5Dsr. So my two favourite camras are the A7r2 and the 1dx2. As the Canon lacks Evf, its less flexible for run and gun, but have the Dpaf which is better then A7r2 AF. The Af In A7r2 is fully useable in many situations. You can support the evf to the eye, have excellent stabilisation, 1/5 of the filezise of 4K Canon. So the ultimate combination of still and video camera has still to be made. For travels, you can pick lenses that give you less weight then a Canon. What's nice with Canon 1dx2, I can now shoot action sport and wildlife with one body, both excellent video quality and stills.

On 25/8/2016 at 6:59 PM, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

- A question: it is not possible for Metabones to make a focal reducer EF->EF just to get the full frame circle from EF lenses and reduces it to the 1,74x crop? I know that it was not possbile in the NX mount, but if they can do it for the EF...(if Brian Caldwell is reading this, maybe he can answer that)...

For NX the focal reducer IS possible, and indeed...it has beed done:

https://www.produzionidalbasso.com/project/turn-your-samsung-nx-camera-to-full-frame/

• 8 months later...
31 minutes ago, jacoblewis said:

Can anyone validate whether or not a firmware update has changed the crop factor to 1.29x? http://www.canonrumors.com/crop-factor-change-for-4k-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-included-in-coming-update-more/

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-usa-announces-canon-log-feature-upgrade-for-the-eos-5d-mark-iv/

They apologized for giving false hopes, the update was for C-LOG only.

On 11.9.2016 at 6:00 AM, BenEricson said:

That's some pretty intense chromatic aberration.

This is an old post, but yeah, the Tokina 11-16 is pretty bad in that regard. Very much an overrated lens imho, I've personally found it to have a very unpleasant look and some weird QC issues like elements getting out of whack and thus focus plane being uneven.