1.74x - A Crop Odyssey - Canon 5D Mark IV officially announced

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

..and that's why I am sticking with NX for the next few years, and I do not even dare to complain to Samsung, they quited, but they delivered first!

I love my NX1... I only wish it had a bit more dynamic :'( and Raw haha... well it's a great piece of a camera!  Shooting a documentary with it right now !

2 hours ago, Zach Ashcraft said:

As long as the 1080P footage is sharp, I'm not too concerned about the 4K crop factor. I still rarely if ever shoot in 4K, and really have no desire to for as long as I can help it. 4 years from now might be a different story of course but as a hybrid stills/video (mostly stills) shooter this camera ticks a lot of boxes for me. 

It won't be. 1080 is garbage on the 1DXII, the more expensive flagship. 

28 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

If Panasonic decides to upper their game and make the GH5 a true video centric camera, they could go for the A7S route and offer it with a 12mp S35 sensor (or even a m4/3 one) - less data to process for 4k, and much more sensitivity in low light (for me, the main problem with my m4/3 cameras), and leave the true hybrid role for a G8 camera with a 16 or 20mp sensor. But all the rumours says that it will have the 16mp sensor from the GX80.

Nope they won't put a 12mpx sensor that would be a marketing mess.

No 20mpx sensor like the EM1 II because less good for video. This is why they will use the gx80 which is good.

GH5 will be a GX80 in term of pure image quality, just with better spec (slow motion..) and with the same stab.

my fear is that it keeps the AF from it, which it will probably since I think it is sensor dependent 

Even though I do stills mainly there is no point paying almost 3x D750s price, IMHO. If I was making money from event videography (or any money from photography, haha ;) )I'd consider 5dmk4 though, DPAF is worth paying the price for that. It's revolutionary in my opinion. Selling all those beautiful lenses will be heartbreaking, though :(. Buying all those Sigma ART lenses will put a smile on my face afterwards ;). 

@eoshd/Andrew I completely agree with everything in this article. I mean you should just change your name to CinemaHD or something lol. It seems the EOS line is in your past. I'm glad you're not pulling the fanboy card LIKE EVERY YOUTUBER i've seen so far. It's unreal this camera is literally shite, yet all these people are saying they're content and legit HAPPY with the results Canon are giving us. I left Canon over 4 years ago now, and I'm honestly glad. Just a waste of money for people who cripple their own cameras and simply don't give a shit about the end user. Panasonic and Sony FTW right now.... 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, neosushi said:

I love my NX1... I only wish it had a bit more dynamic :'( and Raw haha... well it's a great piece of a camera!  Shooting a documentary with it right now !

Such an underrated camera...

Ergonomics of a Canon or Nikon without the 1970's mirror SHIT

Smallest 4K file sizes on the planet but the highest quality compression..... THANK YOU H.265 YOU ARE THE FUTURE IT IS JUST NOBODY ELSE KNOWS IT!!!!

Ultra clean and noiseless ISO 800, acceptable 1600, falls off a cliff after that but who cares? So does a RED Epic!

Great battery life, great EVF... heck it has an EVF... Unlike my 1D C!! Guess which was cheapest!

Articulated screen but still feels like it is built like a tank and I had mine out in the pouring rain.... didn't pose an issue. Weather sealed yet articulated screen.... Canon take note.

Just look at the images... lovely! Great colour and detail

The S lenses... some of the best Super 35mm this side of PL cinema $30k stuff.

It is a goth of a camera

It is discontinued

Nobody cares about it but the ones in the know...

49 minutes ago, SullyCortez said:

iI gotta disagree, it looks totally baked in over saturated and skin tones look wayyy too warm. Granted its not radioactive green like sony, but I still think Panasonic kills it for color and smokes Canon 

The GX85 has fantastic colour... Just the right balance between natural 'scientifically correct colour' and memory colour.

As people started talking about the GH5, two things that might delay the GH5:

- Kumamoto Earthquake

- A different sensor than the rumored same old 16MP, if Olympus E-M1 MKII is rumored to have a new sensor, which supposedly has a better performance, I don't see Panasonic lagging behind with their flagship camera, so it's a possibility.

Features I expect:

- 1080p 120 fps

- 8-bit 422 internally

- Dual Card slot

- 5-axis IBIS

Features I wish it has but it might not:

- 1080p 240 fps

- 10-bit 422 internally - even if it means adopting a faster card standard like XQC or even UFS

- A6300-like AF - so in-sensor PDAF

- less crop in 4K - so 4K from a full sensor readout, as long as it doesn't mean worse rolling shutter

- 4K 60fps

- New sensor for better low light and DR - the BSI stacked design 1" sensor has less noise and better DR than the old 16MP Micro4/3 sensor

- New Grip accessory, maybe a new form factor for the GH5 altogether

Adopting something better than 8-bit 420 is a must if Panasonic wants to keep competitive and that's something that Sony will avoid forever if they can, I just don't see Sony putting something better than 8-bit 420 in their stills cameras already having their video cameras like FS5 right above.

Wishlist features:

I wish it had Multi-aspect sensor with 1:1 pixel 4K at 1.86x crop, but 1.86x crop and IBIS might not pair up very well so at least a 12MP 1:1 4K at 2x crop. But Panasonic should do like Sony A7S and A7R, they are both hybrids but one is optimized for video and the other for stills. So 12 MP, video-oriented for GH line up and 24 MP BSI Micro4/3 sensor and still-oriented for the GX. The GX can still have 4K - even if with bigger crop - and V-log as well, since although not their main thing lot of photographers also shoot video when needed.

If someone wants both, they can have both in two different cameras under the same system and you can shoot V-log on both, making it easier to grade together, you might have the GH as the main video camera, the GX for stills and also as a B Camera for 4K.

Although a pretty good stills camera, most people want the GH4 for video, why not completely optimize it for video then? 16MP or more with crop is not optimal, moreover, less MP can mean faster full sensor readouts and less rolling shutter.  Also, the GX could free itself from worrying about having too many pixels and it could adopt a higher density pixel count sensor like BSI, copper wiring and stacked design like the one made by Sony.

As an add-on to this topic, JVC could launch a new LS300 or even an LS500 or something with better built, FS5-like modular design and slow motion. From what I've seen after it got the log firmware update, the LS300 is a pretty good camera, it just lacks 120 fps and IBIS.

16 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Such an underrated camera...

Ergonomics of a Canon or Nikon without the 1970's mirror SHIT

Smallest 4K file sizes on the planet but the highest quality compression..... THANK YOU H.265 YOU ARE THE FUTURE IT IS JUST NOBODY ELSE KNOWS IT!!!!

Ultra clean and noiseless ISO 800, acceptable 1600, falls off a cliff after that but who cares? So does a RED Epic!

Great battery life, great EVF... heck it has an EVF... Unlike my 1D C!! Guess which was cheapest!

Articulated screen but still feels like it is built like a tank and I had mine out in the pouring rain.... didn't pose an issue. Weather sealed yet articulated screen.... Canon take note.

Just look at the images... lovely! Great colour and detail

The S lenses... some of the best Super 35mm this side of PL cinema $30k stuff.

It is a goth of a camera

It is discontinued

Nobody cares about it but the ones in the know...

The GX85 has fantastic colour... Just the right balance between natural 'scientifically correct colour' and memory colour.

100% Agree with you Andrew. I discovered the first footage of the NX1 through your video in Portugal if I recall correctly. Now I'm filming a documentary about handicapped kids in Ukraine with the NX1. This morning we filmed in a swimming pool using an underwater sleeve and it was great. This camera sustained rain, snow, and some falls. We already have over 2TB of footage (using hacked NX1 with 120 to 140Mbs bitrate) and almost shot everything with the 16-50S lens. This thing is so amazing. I keep looking for something better and considered many times changing but after renting a FS5 + Shogun and a BMD Urasa mini, I am keeping my NX1. It just seems the only 4K camera (not talking about Red or Arri) out there that actually resolves a resolution of 4K. Everything else (especially Sony) seems like FullHD + to me. Now it's disconnected... and it sucks.

(also we are using a Lensbaby 56mm macro velvet which is an NX mount lens. Beautiful crazy footage coming out of it ! Very interesting alternative to the 60mm macro Samsung)

2 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

Anything including focal reducer is not possible on EF mount due to its long flange distance.

Not entirely true. You cannot make an EF to EF speed booster because the booster reduces the crop factor and increases the speed of the lens by shortening the flange focal distance - moving the lens closer to the sensor and refocusing it. Imagine the lens is like a film projector and you are focusing it on a screen that is smaller than the image being projected. If you want to get the whole image on the screen you can move the projector closer to the screen and refocus it, filling the screen and increasing the brighteness of the image at the same time.

It is possible however to make a speed booster that adapts large/medium format lenses to EF but that seems a bit rediculous to boost a medium format lens to get a full frame crop on of a full frame camera

I am completely dissapointed. I was hoping this would mark my return to Canon smh. A full frame 4k camera with Canon color science and a potential magic lantern hack would have changed the game for sure. I could've looked past the fact they refuse to put an articulating screen on this thing if they at least gave us those features but whatever. If people buy this then it supports Canon's ideology that people would buy anything they sell no matter if they ignore the free user feedback given to them from the filmmaking community.