1.74x - A Crop Odyssey - Canon 5D Mark IV officially announced

Andrew Reid

3 minutes ago, Zach Ashcraft said:

As long as the 1080P footage is sharp, I'm not too concerned about the 4K crop factor. I still rarely if ever shoot in 4K, and really have no desire to for as long as I can help it. 4 years from now might be a different story of course but as a hybrid stills/video (mostly stills) shooter this camera ticks a lot of boxes for me. 

Get a C100 mark ii if you don't desire 4k.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

i cant wait to see the video in low light and the canon gel murkiness, 

if they have managed to fix those two its good for me, the cropped 4k ok i expected that,

the price is not that high for profesionnals, the camera can get its money worth with a couple of jobs

remember the 1DC price?

On a commercial standpoint, canon is clear you want cinematic cameras feel free to get our C Line....

I dont blame them, they will not antagonise their own products. 

as for sony cheap 4k etc...these cameras are not workhorses they fall apart 

25 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

If true then the timing is weird.

It's already quite overdue compared to previous release cycles for the GH1,GH2,GH3,GH4.

I wonder if they have had a late major change - such as new sensor - to incorporate?

All speculation at this point....

That is the biggest thing that Panasonic needs to work on. An APSC beating sensor. Some of their sensor seem to have better dynamic range than their Canon counterparts anyway (according to DXO Mark).

33 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

If true then the timing is weird.

It's already quite overdue compared to previous release cycles for the GH1,GH2,GH3,GH4.

I wonder if they have had a late major change - such as new sensor - to incorporate?

All speculation at this point....

Andrew, this was highly anticipated because it is a Sony sensor and due to the major earthquake they got multiple months of delays. It has been said a couple of times and now the delay is confirmed which is why it is a wired timing as you say. 

6 minutes ago, sudopera said:

Why is it a problem, Nikon mount lenses + Nikon SB, except if you already invested in something else.

To be honest I dont like the SB. One of the feature I wait the most on the GH5 is the video AF like on the A6300. I do a lot of gimbal use and need a proper video AF. SB AF is not usable..... That is why for me it is a problem :(

Just now, wolf33d said:

To be honest I dont like the SB. One of the feature I wait the most on the GH5 is the video AF like on the A6300. I do a lot of gimbal use and need a proper video AF. SB AF is not usable..... That is why for me it is a problem :(

OK, my bad... you have a point there

21 minutes ago, Christina Ava said:

guy used the stabilizer in premier this cant be true...how caome they pick the worse videographers to do promotional work every time?? terrible video

Always the case.

Sony and Panasonic hire the worst people imaginable. The real sellers will be the paid reviewers with the huge subscriber lists.

1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

One of the feature I wait the most on the GH5 is the video AF like on the A6300. I do a lot of gimbal use and need a proper video AF. SB AF is not usable..... That is why for me it is a problem :(

This. Give the GH5 better video autofocus like the A6300 or Canon's Dual Pixel and it will check all the boxes for me.

My two cents about the camera (that I have no intention to buy, by the way):

- It just made clear that, for Canon, if you want a serious camera for video, you will need a C line camera, DSLR video was an accident. Nothing new;
- Hence, it is a stills centric camera (and for stills looks like a very good one), with some video features for less demanding needs, especially events;
- I think that is no coincidence that a lot of previews that were appearing in various sites features opinions from event shooters - especially wedding ones. And for event shooters, turnaround time is crucial - this means less file transfer times, colors right (or almost right) out of the box; it is an area where 1080p is still the king. In event shooting rack focus manually is a problem - lots of movement without stage marks and coordinated positioning, and in this conditions the Dual Pixel AF is a godsend. For them, the MkIV probably will be a very practical camera - and I guess that is a market that sells more than specialized movie shooting.
- A question: it is not possible for Metabones to make a focal reducer EF->EF just to get the full frame circle from EF lenses and reduces it to the 1,74x crop? I know that it was not possbile in the NX mount, but if they can do it for the EF...(if Brian Caldwell is reading this, maybe he can answer that)...

Yes, for video, is a deception for a lot of us - but will make sense for a lot of people, will be an "enough" camera and easier to use with the Dual Pixel AF. And will sell like hotcakes.

If Panasonic decides to upper their game and make the GH5 a true video centric camera, they could go for the A7S route and offer it with a 12mp S35 sensor (or even a m4/3 one) - less data to process for 4k, and much more sensitivity in low light (for me, the main problem with my m4/3 cameras), and leave the true hybrid role for a G8 camera with a 16 or 20mp sensor. But all the rumours says that it will have the 16mp sensor from the GX80.

8 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

My two cents about the camera (that I have no intention to buy, by the way):

- It just made clear that, for Canon, if you want a serious camera for video, you will need a C line camera, DSLR video was an accident. Nothing new;
- Hence, it is a stills centric camera (and for stills looks like a very good one), with some video features for less demanding needs, especially events;
- I think that is no coincidence that a lot of previews that were appearing in various sites features opinions from event shooters - especially wedding ones. And for event shooters, turnaround time is crucial - this means less file transfer times, colors right (or almost right) out of the box; it is an area where 1080p is still the king. In event shooting rack focus manually is a problem - lots of movement without stage marks and coordinated positioning, and in this conditions the Dual Pixel AF is a godsend. For them, the MkIV probably will be a very practical camera - and I guess that is a market that sells more than specialized movie shooting.
- A question: it is not possible for Metabones to make a focal reducer EF->EF just to get the full frame circle from EF lenses and reduces it to the 1,74x crop? I know that it was not possbile in the NX mount, but if they can do it for the EF...(if Brian Caldwell is reading this, maybe he can answer that)...

Yes, for video, is a deception for a lot of us - but will make sense for a lot of people, will be an "enough" camera and easier to use with the Dual Pixel AF. And will sell like hotcakes.

If Panasonic decides to upper their game and make the GH5 a true video centric camera, they could go for the A7S route and offer it with a 12mp S35 sensor (or even a m4/3 one) - less data to process for 4k, and much more sensitivity in low light (for me, the main problem with my m4/3 cameras), and leave the true hybrid role for a G8 camera with a 16 or 20mp sensor. But all the rumours says that it will have the 16mp sensor from the GX80.

Anything including focal reducer is not possible on EF mount due to its long flange distance.