1.74x - A Crop Odyssey - Canon 5D Mark IV officially announced

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

They really only have like, one edge in the market and that's the "Canon" color thing imo.  Because honestly if we're going to continue making 8-bit banding machines in 2016 for video work, (Who'd have thought we'd point one of these things at the sky) - Everybody else is killing them on features.  They're just pushing their C-line.  If you want C-log from Canon, you'll get it at a ridiculous price.  

• Administrators

Aside from the 1D C their C-line can't do decent stills.

I want both in one camera.

GH5 it is then!

6 minutes ago, MattH said:

To be fair, it's less of a crop than four-thirds.  But also to be fair, you're paying full frame prices for it.

It's not the crop by itself which is the issue, it is the mismatch between the lens mount and the sensor crop size.

On a Micro Four Thirds camera the lenses are designed to fit the 2x crop sensor.

And the lack of mirror means special optical designs like the Metabones Speed Booster XL are possible, effectively giving you a 1.3x crop of your full frame Canon lenses instead of 2x.

So I don't even consider the GH4 as a 2x crop camera.

The 5D Mark IV is a 1.74x crop camera and stuck with it.

You pay that much money for a full frame camera, you expect it to shoot full frame.... no?

You expect it to have LOG as well!!

10 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

GH5 it is then!

Thanks for the article that I shared. Agree on every point. 
Agree too with your comment: I want both in one camera. 
The GH5 will take more than decent stills, but it absolutely wont make the job for me. I need D810 level still quality. 

So I might grab a D810 + GH5, but then 2 cameras with 2 systems of lens.... And my main use is travel (think 5-10 days trek in Rockies, Patagonia, Iceland, ...) so I am quite pissed. 
I tought the A7RII was the one. Bought it, traveled 2 weeks in Cuba and it appeared it was not enjoyable to use (such a pain to switch from stills setup to video setup, poor ergonomics, etc). But here we are the GH5 might be the best camera on the market for its size for video, and the D810 is the best world landscape camera under 20k$ (phase one anyone..?)

So for the moment I don't see a better option. Even if Nikon releases a good 4k option in the next DSLR, it wont have some of the amazing GH5 features like IBIS, good slowmo (hopefully),...

I just wish we get a 4k60p and minimum 120fps Full HD as clean as in an RX100, as well as A PROPER AUTOFOCUS IN VIDEO like the A6300, PLEASE PANA!
Then I am sold.

Oh and BTW imagine if the GH5 has a good video AF: that would be the BEST gimbal camera ever. Light, slowmo, good AF for tracking on the gimbal, and the power of its 5 axis IBIS + gimbal... wow that will look smooth as hell :)

7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

GH5 it is then!

It's not the crop by itself which is the issue, it is the mismatch between the lens mount and the sensor crop size.

On a Micro Four Thirds camera the lenses are designed to fit the 2x crop sensor.

And the lack of mirror means special optical designs like the Metabones Speed Booster XL are possible, effectively giving you a 1.3x crop of your full frame Canon lenses instead of 2x.

So I don't even consider the GH4 as a 2x crop camera.

The 5D Mark IV is a 1.74x crop camera and stuck with it.

You pay that much money for a full frame camera, you expect it to shoot full frame.... no?

You expect it to have LOG as well!!

Exactly, you could get wide angle with a sigma 8-16 or a tokina 11-16, but then you are still going to have to buy full frame lenses to cover that focal range.  All that money for all that hassle.  Doesn't draw me to it.

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Liam said:

Guys, come on. If Anley Kubri can get behind the 5div, we can too. I for one can't wait to see 00 Space Ody

Anley Kubri loves his Cano amera

Beware of AL

Ucking aughty robot

Deleting thos illy massiv MJPE iles fro Anley's driv

An I love th scen in ehistoric tim wit th monkeys... Datin ack to MJPEG times at the beginni of th univers

As long as the 1080P footage is sharp, I'm not too concerned about the 4K crop factor. I still rarely if ever shoot in 4K, and really have no desire to for as long as I can help it. 4 years from now might be a different story of course but as a hybrid stills/video (mostly stills) shooter this camera ticks a lot of boxes for me. 

Now this leaves  Sony is the only camera maker Gives FF 4K video with a versatile lens mount and hopefully their next iterations would have better video quality. 
As a video shooter, i Switched to Panasonic from Canon when GH2 realesed and never regretted.  My hope is that GH5 would have no crop factor in 4K mode. 

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Oh fuck... it's confirmed, no GH5 before 2017 http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-no-full-gh5-announcement-photokina/

:(

If true then the timing is weird.

It's already quite overdue compared to previous release cycles for the GH1,GH2,GH3,GH4.

I wonder if they have had a late major change - such as new sensor - to incorporate?

All speculation at this point....