Sony a6300 Bad Edge Aliasing

solutionkmedia

Hey everyone,

Just picked up an a6300 a couple weeks ago and have been testing out it's footage. I love it overall.

I noticed, however, that in situation of contrast, the sensor seems to insert black aliasing lines. My sharpness is off, so doubt that's the issue. I'm curious if other people have this seem quality from the camera? Could it be an a6300 flaw? Or maybe just my model.

Interested in your thoughts.

I attached a couple pictures below to clarify what I mean. Black lines along a shed and along a clothing line.

Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 7.52.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 7.53.05 AM.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's a well known artifact with sony cameras.  Referred to mostly as 'highlight aliasing'.  Google 'highlight aliasing' and you will find many hits.  It is a lot more egregious in HD than it is in 4k but its clearly still there. Aparently It was even apparent on the f5 and f55 but was addressed and removed on those cameras.  On other cameras like the fs700 it wasn't addressed.  However, people observed with the fs700 that it could be bypassed with Raw recording.  Go and look at videos shot with sony cameras. Now that you have seen it you will notice it everywhere!  Even in cases were you can't see it obviously it still alters the overal look of the image as a whole, making it seem over sharp and less organic.  Its a big contributor to sonys reputation as giving a video look.    The good news for you is that it is smaller in 4k and in most cases people wont notice it.

On August 25, 2016 at 9:42 AM, MattH said:

It's a well known artifact with sony cameras.  Referred to mostly as 'highlight aliasing'.  Google 'highlight aliasing' and you will find many hits.  It is a lot more egregious in HD than it is in 4k but its clearly still there. Aparently It was even apparent on the f5 and f55 but was addressed and removed on those cameras.  On other cameras like the fs700 it wasn't addressed.  However, people observed with the fs700 that it could be bypassed with Raw recording.  Go and look at videos shot with sony cameras. Now that you have seen it you will notice it everywhere!  Even in cases were you can't see it obviously it still alters the overal look of the image as a whole, making it seem over sharp and less organic.  Its a big contributor to sonys reputation as giving a video look.    The good news for you is that it is smaller in 4k and in most cases people wont notice it.

Thank you very much, Matt. 

I had been researching google relating to aliasing which is what i figured it was, but adding "highlight" helped me find what I was looking for. 

(This footage was 4K btw)

I've never heard of it until now. It is a bit of a concern to look at, but i've never noticed it on any sony footage until I was pixel peeping my own a6300, so I guess it won't be an issue to my clients either. 

Hopefully a firmware update helps with it, but I won't hold my breath. 

On 25/08/2016 at 9:42 AM, MattH said:

It's not highlight aliasing in this case, highlight aliasing on Sony cameras usually comes with magenta coloured egdes.

Just compression artifacts, can be mitigated by recording externally.

1 hour ago, Luke Mason said:

It's not highlight aliasing in this case, highlight aliasing on Sony cameras usually comes with magenta coloured egdes.

Just compression artifacts, can be mitigated by recording externally.

Not from what I've seen of the issue.  Highlight aliasing, this problem, is when you get black outlining against clipped edges.  Magenta coloured edges is generally a lens issue. Though there could be another sensor/processing issue other than this one. Whether you call either one highlight aliasing Im not really bothered.  I think 'highlight outlining' might be a better term for this issue anyway.

Those black lines were one of the reason I ditched the first Sony A7s. Shot some ok looking stuff and then noticed the highlights and the black lines. Could not unsee them. Coming from a Canon 5d that just looked horrible. I remember the A7sII not having that problem in 4k but I never shot with the A7sII that much.

Those are things that are not in the 'spec list'.