DPReview BANS links to EOSHD!!

IronFilm

44 minutes ago, sudopera said:

I think the reason for this is because for a few years now Google adjust their search results for every user differently according to their sites visit and searches in the past.

I'm not so thrilled about this because it can be very misleading.

They also changed their results to de-prioritize forums. Seems like every instructional search now I have to sift through all of the content marketers and brand bloggers all reading the same stupid book. They are all guest posting to increase their own domain authority which also drowns out the real blogs like EOSHD.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

I don't have unlimited staff and resources to keep EOSHD alive in the face of such hostile big-spending competition.

The digital revolution is an incredible thing. The first globally cultural phenomenon.

Bigger businesses can try as hard as they can to monetize it, but that sort of process demands way too "lowest-common-denominator" sort of stuff to be truly compelling.  

Normally, it's dry and boring "content" not actual writing.  Lousy Corporate speak and intellectual junk food.

Those of us that are more curious than normal folks will always require niche corners, like eoshd, to keep it real. 

There's plenty of room inside the Internet. Writing created by people that really do care about what they're saying will always have a place. 

Whe I first came here I spouted off my typical egalitarian camera rants and was quickly chastised by the head-honcho because of it, which I really appreciated.  

Finally, I thought, a place where someone has an opinion they really care about!  Its not some unpaid intern just regurgitating a PR sheet from corporate marketing.

I don't know, maybe these sorts of corners will have a harder time existing as newer generations get more sophistically exploited by content-providers. Perhaps not.

After all, Humans have always tended to have alternatives to the mainstream. From philosophy to books to camera blogs. 

13 minutes ago, silvertonesx24 said:

They are all guest posting to increase their own domain authority which also drowns out the real blogs like EOSHD.

Wouldn't be a bad thing if EOSHD had a few guest posts, it would also mean the main page gets updated more often. 

And even if Andrew Reid was only writing a few short paragraphs, I'm sure most of us here would welcome a guest post from Andrew! I know I would on my humble little blog. 

One might argue that once one leaves the corporate hospitality tent in order to forage amongst the street food vendors, one also gets to meet chaps like Zach (G).

Yes, this is a wonderfully stimulating place to be and in my view ZG's more than occasional bemusing meanderings were but a small price to pay for the freedom to express and debate. Is he permitted to be here as I've not seen him recently?

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Wouldn't be a bad thing if EOSHD had a few guest posts, it would also mean the main page gets updated more often. 

And even if Andrew Reid was only writing a few short paragraphs, I'm sure most of us here would welcome a guest post from Andrew! I know I would on my humble little blog. 

Hell no. Fuck guestpost circlejerks.

Andrew's content is refreshingly free of SEO money grubbing clickbait garbage.

Use the forum if you want to post on EOSHD.

2 hours ago, KrisAK said:

DPreview is just a communal front porch leading to Amazon. Anything driving traffic away is probably viewed a threat, though for their own sake (i.e. maintaining the illusion of editorial integrity) you'd think they'd leave it up.

Dumb move by DPreview.

One thing I like about DPreview is they do standard studio shots with every camera that gets an in depth review.  So you can pixel peep and compare the results yourself.  The evidence is posted and it is up to you to decide.

Personally for me DSLRs got "good enough" for stills in the T3i days.  My GAS is now driven by the video side of things.  I still use my T3i for stills but I don't feel the need to neurotically pixel peep at DPreview anymore.  And obviously I don't go there to learn about video.

With all of the talk about the Canon 5DMKIV I had forgotten the 5Ds had been released.  The megapixel race for stills is so over for me.  How many of you guys anticipate the release of a new camera based on stills?  I'm still rocking a camera that was released over five years ago!

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Damphousse said:

One thing I like about DPreview is they do standard studio shots with every camera that gets an in depth review.  So you can pixel peep and compare the results yourself.  The evidence is posted and it is up to you to decide.

It's really misleading... They use a still life scene consisting of about 6 stops of dynamic range at best, shot at close focus.

The differences in resolution are minimised and it doesn't really tell us very much.

The 80D for example looks like abject shit when you shoot landscapes in video mode with it

Something that a stamp pinned to the side of a light box doesn't quite convey as well...

Personally for me DSLRs got "good enough" for stills in the T3i days. 

Wow you have low standards.

RED... What is the point!??!

My GAS is now driven by the video side of things.  I still use my T3i for stills but I don't feel the need to neurotically pixel peep at DPreview anymore.  And obviously I don't go there to learn about video.

Fastest contradictory statement ever on the forums? :)

With all of the talk about the Canon 5DMKIV I had forgotten the 5Ds had been released.  The megapixel race for stills is so over for me.  How many of you guys anticipate the release of a new camera based on stills?  I'm still rocking a camera that was released over five years ago!

The 5DS actually does quite good 1080p so if you have a lot of money to flush down the toilet on mediocrity it is your next camera....

It's really misleading... They use a still life scene consisting of about 6 stops of dynamic range at best, shot at close focus.

The differences in resolution are minimised and it doesn't really tell us very much.

The 80D for example looks like abject shit when you shoot landscapes in video mode with it

Something that a stamp pinned to the side of a light box doesn't quite convey as well...

Wow you have low standards.

RED... What is the point!??!

The 5DS actually does quite good 1080p so if you have a lot of money to flush down the toilet on mediocrity it is your next camera....

Andrew I haven't spent a significant amount of time at the DPreview site in years.  The megapixel race for me ended a long time ago.  I just posted to mention I liked a particular feature.  I don't know how they are doing that feature with current cameras.  My post was based on when I was looking at stills cameras way more intensely.  I did not mean to imply their studio shot was comprehensive and the end all be all.  I just appreciated that some consistent data point was provided and wanted to acknowledge the time and effort it must take to maintain and update the database.

And yes "good enough" is a low standard.  I've got several digital and analog cameras.  I really can't afford to keep getting the latest and greatest.  I shoot as a hobby.  I do sell some pictures and videos from my T3i but I just make a few hundred dollars every once in awhile which defrays some of the cost of buying cameras and accessories.  My comments should be taken in that context.  If I was a pro I would be shooting totally different gear.  And if someone thinks the T3i is a joke for stills that's cool.  It's not like anyone is mailing me $3,000 to buy the newest shiniest gear.  I'm not going to shoot a T3i and come on here and lie to you guys and say I have a 1 DX MK II... I'm not Egyptian.

I don't know what you found "contradictory" in my post.

As I have said before I own a BMPCC.  I use my T3i and other cameras for stills and my BMPCC for video.  Currently I am interested in upgrading my BMPCC to something with 4k so I can have more detail and eliminate moire/aliasing.  The problem is cost and I don't like my color/grading options.  I also own a bunch of canon lenses that I use on my T3i and my analog Canon camera.

I've got thousands of dollars tied up in camera bodies, lenses, accessories, etc.  And that doesn't even include the medium format stills stuff.  In this economy and with these wages at a certain point each person has to decide for themselves when things are "good enough".  I can't dictate to others what that point is for them.  But I can draw a line for myself.  Don't worry when I win the lotto I will get a better stills camera, but for now the T3i will have to do.  And really my point was not to argue or antagonize anyone.  Had I known it was going to upset someone I wouldn't have even posted it.  It was just a passing thought about one feature of a website I enjoyed visiting back in the day.

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

Unfortunately this ban has never been lifted. 3 years now and running now. I've had people pirating links to my Shooter's Guides on the DPReview forum and found it difficult to get mods to take it down. People cannot link to the genuine URLs at EOSHD. Unfortunately Barney Britton at DPReview (https://***URL removed***/about/staff/barneybritton) doesn't like me, and won't lift the forum ban on the domain name.

I may need to ask some of you for help. If you have a DPReview forum account, or a way to contact the moderators, I think we need a campaign to lift this ban once and for all.

On top of this, Barney has accused me of libel and has forwarded my emails to Amazon's legal counsel. He wanted me to take down the posts about the Sigma MC-21 adapter on this forum and the comments about the Fran 8K news piece Gannon wrote at DPReview.

If anyone can help, please do. Now's the time.

Isn't Jordan Drake of TheCameraStoreTV DPReview TV on here at times? Maybe he can put in a good word.

I've only really ever been on Personal-View (in the GH2 days mostly) and rumor sites other than here. Never felt the urge to join up over at DPRev or many of the <insert>user forums tbh.

• Super Members

On top of this, Barney has accused me of libel and has forwarded my emails to Amazon's legal counsel. He wanted me to take down the posts about the Sigma MC-21 adapter on this forum and the comments about the Fran 8K news piece Gannon wrote at DPReview.

If anyone can help, please do. Now's the time.

Libel for what?

If it is your honest opinion that someone is a cockwomble (for example ;) ) then that's an acceptable defence.

In any case, for a company to sue for libel they need to show it is likely to cause serious harm in respect of serious financial loss. I would suggest that the fact that the link between Amazon and that site isn't particularly widely displayed on DPReview (to the extent that its questionable how many of its users are even aware of it) would make it difficult to show cause for serious financial loss to Amazon.

https://www.carter-ruck.com/media-law-defamation-libel-and-privacy-lawyers/libel-and-slander-faq

By the way, I imagine YOU on the other hand CAN show that THEIR hosting of links for illegally obtaining YOUR products DO cause serious financial harm.

• Administrators

The ban makes it look like I am hosting illegal content or have done something so terrible that DPReview are protecting their users from my site.

Any person interested in Pro Color or C-LOG has a broken censored link to contend with so that's lost sales right there.

This is what you get from Barney when you criticise the DPReview news feed for clickbait.

Good job nobody bought a Fran 8K after seeing it hyped on there by Gannon, isn't it.

The Cinemartin bloke's now bankrupt and I hope nobody got burnt.

Maybe I should ask DPReview to take down all my video page reviews like for the 5D Mark III and GH4 they got me to write, as well. They sell ads and Amazon links around my content, whilst threatening me with the law. Nice.

• Super Members

Oh and another thing by the way....

------------------------------------------------------

Who do I sue for libel or slander?

Any person, company or other legal body involved in publishing the defamatory material can be sued in libel or slander. This includes the author, any editor or any publishing company. Sometimes distributors of defamatory material can also be sued, including website owners and ISPs.

------------------------------------------------------

While they are chatting to their lawyers, I'd ask them to put your name in the search field of their forum and ask their lawyers if there is anything that they are hosting that you could sue them for libel over because, quite frankly, there is plenty.

You'd think that Amazon would have more important stuff to do than this wouldn't you?

Like clearing up the toxicity in the comments section of every news story, for example.

Or paying some tax.

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The ban makes it look like I am hosting illegal content or have done something so terrible that DPReview are protecting their users from my site.

As opposed to one of their leading commenters who is still welcome despite flagrantly and publicly conned people out of money for non-existent lenses.

15 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Good job nobody bought a Fran 8K after seeing it hyped on there by Gannon, isn't it.

I can't see anything by him on there regarding it.

The only news piece about it that I saw was from someone else.

https://***URL removed***/news/2936447826/cinemartin-launches-fran-cameras-with-8k-global-shutter-and-raw-support

I tell you what though, I'd be fascinated to know what Amazon think about one of their staff retweeting an article that is heavily critical of them not paying any tax.

1184581005_ScreenShot2019-04-16at18_35_29.png.8752424fe22bbc671c047993afac6a68.png

https://twitter.com/Publici/status/1116631096307769344