Any better zoom than Nikon 24-70 2.8?

red

HI,

I mainly have the Nikon 24-70 2.8 attached to the D750 for shooting video but have not always been happy with manually focusing with it quickly. It does not offer much flexibility in terms of nailing focus quickly because the range of something being in focus and not being in sharp focus is so minimal.

Are there any better zooms out there that I may not know about that offers a far better focus pulling range to get things locked in focus quicker?

I have heard there are some classic lenses about but don't really know which ones are worth getting.

I do have primes but do need a zoom as my workhorse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Red

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nikon's own 28-70 is sharper than the Tokina/Angineux, just sold my ATX pro because of the softness/glow wide open. Focus throw is ridiculously short too, not sure it'll be any better than what the OP has. 

Contax/Zeiss zooms are really nice, but most are one touch, which works for some, they don't work for me. 

Leica R is another option. 

I'm now searching for a Nikon 28-70/2.8. 

The Tokina is a completely different look than the Nikon which you might enjoy. If you find a good copy it has a much smoother focusing ring than the Nikon, even if it has a shorter throw. This was shot entirely with it on a D800.

Not many other options for that mount for Zooms. If it's in your budget the 24-105 is an option.

I'm in the same boat as you. I use the D750 + 24-70 as my main tool and have the same issue.

I've used the Tokina f2.6-2.8 on a 5D and it really is excellent if you like the softer look. It does have a stiffer / more damped focus mechanism which makes it a bit nicer to use although the throw isn't very long.

A couple of other options would be the older AI/AIS Nikon 35-70 which have a much longer throw. There is also the Sigma 24-105 ART which I borrowed once and really liked. I'm going to see if Sigma releases a 24-70 ART at some point and test that out.

Let us know what you eventually decide on!

3 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

The Tokina is a completely different look than the Nikon which you might enjoy. If you find a good copy it has a much smoother focusing ring than the Nikon, even if it has a shorter throw. This was shot entirely with it on a D800.

Not many other options for that mount for Zooms. If it's in your budget the 24-105 is an option.

Looks amazing! Great lens!! Love the rack focus transition at 1:09!!! This was shot with the Nikon hack? How stable is it?

12 minutes ago, mercer said:

Looks amazing! Great lens!! Love the rack focus transition at 1:09!!! This was shot with the Nikon hack? How stable is it?

Hack was very stable and fun to use. Unfortunately it does not play back in camera at it's highest bitrate. D800 was a great camera for me, except for annoying moire issues.

8 hours ago, red said:

HI,

I mainly have the Nikon 24-70 2.8 attached to the D750 for shooting video but have not always been happy with manually focusing with it quickly. It does not offer much flexibility in terms of nailing focus quickly because the range of something being in focus and not being in sharp focus is so minimal.

Are there any better zooms out there that I may not know about that offers a far better focus pulling range to get things locked in focus quicker?

I have heard there are some classic lenses about but don't really know which ones are worth getting.

I do have primes but do need a zoom as my workhorse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Red

Have you also tried the older 28-70 2.8D? Built like a tank and used on film productions like the Bourne films.