1DC s35 vs c100

Matthew19

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Matthew19 said:

Is the s35 on the 1dc a 4K oversampling like the c100 is? The c100/300 seems to have that "oversampled" look to it, which I like, but I'm not sure my 1DC in s35 has quite that amount detail.  Can anyone point to a good comparison of the s35 of the 1DC vs the c100.

It's a totally different sensor. Which is a good thing because I believe the 1dc sensor is superior to the C100 sensor. More mojo. 

But I think cinema 5d did some tests back in the day with 1dc vs c100 s35. I need to do my own tests though I've been curios too. 

48 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

It's a totally different sensor. Which is a good thing because I believe the 1dc sensor is superior to the C100 sensor. More mojo. 

But I think cinema 5d did some tests back in the day with 1dc vs c100 s35. I need to do my own tests though I've been curios too. 

1DC S35 mode uses a cropped area of 3216 x 1809 photosites on the sensor. It does a 2 x 2 binning to get a 1608 x 904 RAW bayer and upscales to 1080p.

Since the sensor OLPF was not optmised for this binning mode, you get slightly more aliasing shooting S35, which also makes it perceptually sharper.

5 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

1DC S35 mode uses a cropped area of 3216 x 1809 photosites on the sensor. It does a 2 x 2 binning to get a 1608 x 904 RAW bayer and upscales to 1080p.

Since the sensor OLPF was not optmised for this binning mode, you get slightly more aliasing shooting S35, which also makes it perceptually sharper.

mind = blown.  

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

Oh man, would I like that 1608 x 904 RAW bayer on my CF card :)

I didn't shoot much 1080p on the 1D C, but I did compare the 4K to the C100's 1080p and obviously the 1D C is the superior image, with much less aliasing. This was shot at ISO 12,800 - you also get a finer noise grain in 4K which is more film like and translates to less noise overall when downscaled to 1080p in post.c100-vs-1d-c-iso-12800.jpg