New camera...too much choice :/

Kangaroo

A few weeks ago I asked about the sony a7 because I've sold my 7d and I wanted to buy something "smaller"

After a few days of research I can't decide what to buy anymore.

My budget is limited and there are too many cameras to choose from.

tI do mainly stills but I enjoy making personal video projects, I would love to buy the fuji xt-10 but videos sucks...right? It's an amazing camera but in my mind it's a bit limited.

The a6000 is great for both stills & video and that's what I'm leaning to, the price it's not that high, xavcs, EVF...but I don't like the body that much, I can live with that tho.

The a7 is ok but from what I've seen the a6000 is better and cheaper :/

The olympus em-10 II  seems good but it's a m4/3, It has amazing ibis, great body.

Finally the gx85 , everyone loves it I know...but I don't like panasonic cameras for stills, even for video I prefer sony, yes it has 4k and ibis but I've already owned a g6 and a gx7 and I can tell you that it's a nono for me.

I know that the latest fuji is good for video too but I can't afford it, anyone has tried the xt10?

Probably I'm gonna end up picking the a6000, I've a 30mm 1.4 from sigma (canon mount) that i'd love to use it with my next body

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
28 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

You can find used gh4s for 600€? Haven't seen them below 900-1000€

I just saw one on a french video equipment FB group in great shape for €790 with two batteries and a charger.

On ebay, some GH4s sold between €700 & €800 (including one with a zoom lens 12-35/2.8.

But it depends on what you prefer. Some people will prefer the A6000 over the GH4. I'm not one of them.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

If you are not interested in 4K and do not like Panasonics, then my first choice would be the Olympus em5 Mkii. My second choice would be the Nikon D5500. 

Can I ask you why you would choose them over the a6000? Isn't the em5II almost equal to the em10II? I'm really interested because I really like the omd line

I think the upcoming Sigma Quattro with 30mm f1.4 kit lens for $999.99 looks like an interesting camera, just for photography though.

I'm sure about that but as you said it would be a still camera only

12 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

Can I ask you why you would choose them over the a6000? Isn't the em5II almost equal to the em10II? I'm really interested because I really like the omd line

I'm sure about that but as you said it would be a still camera only

I had a Sony and didn't love the colors. The em5 mkii has the flat profile that is great for video. 

1 hour ago, Kangaroo said:

Can I ask you why you would choose them over the a6000?

If the EM5II had slightly better video, I would have never bought two GX85's for my current project.  The EM5II with the battery grip feels and works like a "real" camera.  It just jibes with my old school sensibilities.  I swear to you, and it's almost embarrassing to admit this, but I have carried that EM5II camera around a few times simply because it felt good!  Not because I wanted to do anything with it, just simply because I liked the way it felt in my hands.  Crazy.

I really do like the GX85's.  I don't love them.  Aside from the IQ, the model comes up short for me in the ergonomics.  It's not bad per se, just not as reassuring as a EM5II. When you're using a camera 8-14 hours a day, that really makes a difference.  And son-of-a-bitch, I hate the GX85's EVF.  Gah!

Believe me, there's been times recently where I've thought to myself, "The heck with it, I should take the IQ hit and go back to the EM5II.  The video is 'good enough'."  Also, I can do (good 'nuff) on camera audio recording.  Man, that is such a god-send when dealing with hundreds of hours of b-roll.

But these are concerns that lean more to the pro-side of things.  If you want something for more personal use, getting the most video IQ out of a hybrid might not matter. 

So, if you're looking to get a stills camera FIRST, and then a video camera second.  I'd definitely recommend the EM5II.  Keep in mind this:  The video from the EM5II isn't bad, it's just not as good as the GX85's clean and crisp 4K.

I'm pretty sure, if I can rustle up the cash, when the next gen of OMD comes out with 4K, I'm hopping back onto that line.

The em5ii has better image stabilization and is much more video focused, especially after the update. I'd consider it or the EM1. They recently had the EM1 for a 1 day only sell at $799. EM1 mkii is gonna be announced at Photokina so you should be able to get new EM1's cheap after Photokina. I would not consider the EM10ii. I'd probably get the EM1. Also, not sure about where you're at but there was a really good deal on the G7. You can get it, the 14-140, a free 25mm f1.7, and $100 off the 42.5mm f1.7. So for $1,297 you could get a zoom that gives you a lot of range and two fast primes. You can also get the G7 without the 14-140 for less money and you still get the free 25mm f1.7.

2 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

If the EM5II had slightly better video, I would have never bought two GX85's for my current project.  The EM5II with the battery grip feels and works like a "real" camera.  It just jibes with my old school sensibilities.  I swear to you, and it's almost embarrassing to admit this, but I have carried that EM5II camera around a few times simply because it felt good!  Not because I wanted to do anything with it, just simply because I liked the way it felt in my hands.  Crazy.

I really do like the GX85's.  I don't love them.  Aside from the IQ, the model comes up short for me in the ergonomics.  It's not bad per se, just not as reassuring as a EM5II. When you're using a camera 8-14 hours a day, that really makes a difference.  And son-of-a-bitch, I hate the GX85's EVF.  Gah!

Believe me, there's been times recently where I've thought to myself, "The heck with it, I should take the IQ hit and go back to the EM5II.  The video is 'good enough'."  Also, I can do (good 'nuff) on camera audio recording.  Man, that is such a god-send when dealing with hundreds of hours of b-roll.

But these are concerns that lean more to the pro-side of things.  If you want something for more personal use, getting the most video IQ out of a hybrid might not matter. 

So, if you're looking to get a stills camera FIRST, and then a video camera second.  I'd definitely recommend the EM5II.  Keep in mind this:  The video from the EM5II isn't bad, it's just not as good as the GX85's clean and crisp 4K.

I'm pretty sure, if I can rustle up the cash, when the next gen of OMD comes out with 4K, I'm hopping back onto that line.

I've looked a bit online and I found out that the only advantages the the em5ii has over the em10ii are the flat profile and the water sealing.

Dpreview also said that the em10ii has less noise.

Is the flat profile  that good? I mean, it's not log, does it worth the 300€ difference? Because I think that I'd love the omd, it's something beetwen the xt10 that I really like and a panasonic.

2 hours ago, Flynn said:

The em5ii has better image stabilization and is much more video focused, especially after the update. I'd consider it or the EM1. They recently had the EM1 for a 1 day only sell at $799. EM1 mkii is gonna be announced at Photokina so you should be able to get new EM1's cheap after Photokina. I would not consider the EM10ii. I'd probably get the EM1. Also, not sure about where you're at but there was a really good deal on the G7. You can get it, the 14-140, a free 25mm f1.7, and $100 off the 42.5mm f1.7. So for $1,297 you could get a zoom that gives you a lot of range and two fast primes. You can also get the G7 without the 14-140 for less money and you still get the free 25mm f1.7.

The em1 has 30p only, that's the reason why I'm not considering that model

10 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

A few weeks ago I asked about the sony a7 because I've sold my 7d and I wanted to buy something "smaller"

After a few days of research I can't decide what to buy anymore.

My budget is limited and there are too many cameras to choose from.

tI do mainly stills but I enjoy making personal video projects, I would love to buy the fuji xt-10 but videos sucks...right? It's an amazing camera but in my mind it's a bit limited.

The a6000 is great for both stills & video and that's what I'm leaning to, the price it's not that high, xavcs, EVF...but I don't like the body that much, I can live with that tho.

The a7 is ok but from what I've seen the a6000 is better and cheaper :/

The olympus em-10 II  seems good but it's a m4/3, It has amazing ibis, great body.

Finally the gx85 , everyone loves it I know...but I don't like panasonic cameras for stills, even for video I prefer sony, yes it has 4k and ibis but I've already owned a g6 and a gx7 and I can tell you that it's a nono for me.

I know that the latest fuji is good for video too but I can't afford it, anyone has tried the xt10?

Probably I'm gonna end up picking the a6000, I've a 30mm 1.4 from sigma (canon mount) that i'd love to use it with my next body

Rent a perfect camera. Buy a cheap workhorse for you needs.

Invest the rest in lights, sound and (mechanical) dynamic movement.

You will be be way ahead of those who blew it all on specs and you will learn so much more!

That last statement is opinion and you could well be a DOP looking to get work and then the camera is paramount.

But here's a pic I took today on a music video shoot I am working on. I invested in the cheap micro cinema camera, and used the rest to get a complete po'-boy's lighting set up and even had change left over for some green screen florescent lights w/ softboxes.

I set this up in my bedroom today...IMG_20160822_151225.jpg

I also got a slider and mechanical steadicam, and gimbal, for the total proce of a kitted out fs5.

i know it wont last, but I wanted the opportunity to film whatever I wanted and charge the lowest price, without having to hire.

4 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

I mean, it's not log, does it worth the 300€ difference?

Exactly.  Is it worth the difference?  What do you want to do with your footage?  A lot of people will go down a rabbit hole chasing superior IQ, and for some things that certainly makes sense.  For other things...not so much. 

I've lost count of the number of videos I've seen that are unwatchable, but look great, knowhatimean?

There's so much more than just IQ when it comes to crafting a successful production.  Ohmygoodness, so so much more.

First, the EM1 does shoot at 24 fps. Keep in mind, there was a software update to the EM1 and EM5 mkii from about a year ago that added a number of features to each camera. The stabilization is not the same in the EM10 ii. The EM5 mkii and the EM1 offer up to 5 stops of stabilization. The EM10 ii offers 4. Olympus says it's 5 axis but it's not the same as what you get with the EM5 ii and EM1. Your main interest seems to be stills, which is why I'd go with the EM1. But if video is  serious concern I'd go with the EM5 ii. Check out John Brawley's blog if you're interested in either camera as he is a cinematographer and also an Olympus shooter. 

On 22.8.2016 at 2:09 PM, Kangaroo said:

Just quickly giving feedback on this specific part of the question as I've tried the X-T1 which has the same sensor.

You don't want to shoot video with the X-E1/X-E2/X-T1/X-T10. It's so full of moire and aliasing that you won't get happy.

5 hours ago, Phil A said:

Just quickly giving feedback on this specific part of the question as I've tried the X-T1 which has the same sensor.

You don't want to shoot video with the X-E1/X-E2/X-T1/X-T10. It's so full of moire and aliasing that you won't get happy.

I've seen some samples and yes, it's very very very bad for video, but for stills it's amazing.

Right now I have to decide, buying the em10 ii (the em5 II it's a bit expensive) or buying the xt10 for stills and in the future something more video oriented. 

Fuzzynormal is right, I don't need the super IQ, but I'm afraid that the em10 II is not that great for photos either