Rode microphones

Michael Coffee

Hi everyone, please share any experiences you have had with Rode's customer support. 

They have just resolved an issue for me that that exceeded the highest expectations of customer service for me.

Now I live in Australia, and have heard some incredible stories about Rode's customer support from their original beginnings in studio condensor mic's. After buying my first ever Rode product, a videomic pro, Rode sorted out a shockmount issue in a 5 minute phone call and 1 email. Consider me an instant convert for life :)

The mic itself, while not perhaps being the very ultimate in shotguns straight out of mic, gives an extremely workable sound for me, so very happy there too. 

After hearing some almost unbelievable stories in the past, about Rode's customer support from their studio mics, who else has had experiences with Rode customer support? This is so crucial to me with a gear company, and Rode now have a total advocate for life in me with their support! Thank you Rode, I am a proud Aussie today :)

I can't say enough good things about them, and will be amazed if anyone has not had the best customer support from Rode. Wow.

Thanks again Rode, cannot recommend enough. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
51 minutes ago, Michael Coffee said:

Hi everyone, please share any experiences you have had with Rode's customer support. 

They have just resolved an issue for me that that exceeded the highest expectations of customer service for me.

Now I live in Australia, and have heard some incredible stories about Rode's customer support from their original beginnings in studio condensor mic's. After buying my first ever Rode product, a videomic pro, Rode sorted out a shockmount issue in a 5 minute phone call and 1 email. Consider me an instant convert for life :)

The mic itself, while not perhaps being the very ultimate in shotguns straight out of mic, gives an extremely workable sound for me, so very happy there too. 

After hearing some almost unbelievable stories in the past, about Rode's customer support from their studio mics, who else has had experiences with Rode customer support? This is so crucial to me with a gear company, and Rode now have a total advocate for life in me with their support! Thank you Rode, I am a proud Aussie today :)

I can't say enough good things about them, and will be amazed if anyone has not had the best customer support from Rode. Wow.

Thanks again Rode, cannot recommend enough. 

I heard a lot of great stories about Rode's impressive customer care too.

My own experience was curious, if not bad. Long ago, when I bought the NTG2, Rode offered a Complimentary 'Plural Eyes' software with the mic. I bought my mic from an Authorised Dealer, and when I wrote in asking for my Free Copy of the Synching Software, I got no response from them. None whatsoever. I know the email id was correct, because less than a few mins ago I Registered my Mic for a 10 year Warranty, which incidentally did take place.

Maybe they did not have the scheme in India, and were, perhaps, embarrassed to admit it. And thought it was better to be silent about it. 

It might help me here, being in Australia, all I can say is give them a call, or send another email, Rode seem to really look after film makers, as far as hardware support goes I am really happy.

To be even more parochial to Rode, howabout contact Plural Eyes - they have a great reputation for their software, and if you look at Rode as the hardware company and Plural Eyes as the software - it it were me I would be contacting Plural Eyes as the software experts. Ok Rode have some responsibility, if it is a software issue though Plural Eyes themselves would be the better solution I think.

As far as hardware support goes - to me Rode = best! :) Good luck Sanveer getting the Plural Eyes going!

34 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

This reminds me, I have a dodgy cable from the blimp & broken lav which I need to get around to emailing RODE about. Hope it goes as well for me as you! :)

Hey, I am sure they will send you a replacement.. I have heard amazing things about the blimp, but I have to say the Rode Videomic pro I have here - ok, it is light, sounds great, and they have great support - but, the cable on the thing seems to be about as solid as a piece of well cooked spaghetti. For the flagship camera mic solution, the cable quality seems like a $30 USD Aliexpress mic.

For a mic like this, how about a moulded socket with a few ribbon type cables and adapters?

I bought the NTG2 about 2-3 years back, so maybe it's a little late. 

Also, I assumed Rode were too embarrassed to admit they did not have support for India. I could write in to them (to PluralEyes too). Maybe I could amuse them with the lateness of pursuing a promise they made. 

Thank you for the suggestion. My case is a one-off case, I guess. And I am sure it does not reflect on Rode's mostly excellent Customer Care and After Sales in any way.

21 minutes ago, Michael Coffee said:

but, the cable on the thing seems to be about as solid as a piece of well cooked spaghetti. For the flagship camera mic solution, the cable quality seems like a $30 USD Aliexpress mic.

Well..... the cable does need to be fairly flimsy, as if it is too sturdy then there will be too much handling noise transmitted through it. 

Ok - haven't had alot of experience with on board mic's. I feel like being nit picky about Rode to offset the bias from the really impressive customer service!

Rode could surely put some time into a low handling noise, modular socket/ribbon cable/adapter solution to the audio interface. Also, how about a multi transmitter, on camera wireless lav pack solution for about us $250 :)

28 minutes ago, Michael Coffee said:

Also, how about a multi transmitter, on camera wireless lav pack solution for about us $250 :)

Your wish is my command, here you go:
https://www.amazon.com/Saramonic-96-Channel-Wireless-Microphone-Transmitter/dp/B01AYDN004/

https://***URL not allowed***/review-saramonic-uwmic10-dual-channel-wireless-mic-system/

I had a tripod tip over several years ago and my original VideoMic took the brunt of the impact. I emailed Rode to see how much the replacement parts would be, and how to order, and they sent out what I needed, for free, and it got to me in two days!

I was very happy, but figured I just caught a CSR in an unusually good mood. Then I broke a foot on one of my VMP's a couple years ago, and they had the same exact response!

Really great service, and I've yet to find a 3.5mm on-cam mic that comes close to the VMP. Whenever I get around to going wireless, the RodeLink is at the top of my list.

I also had an excellent experience with Rode's customer support a couple years back. The elastic broke on my Videomic pro and I needed a replacement. I emailed the company to see if they sold the part and instead they just shipped me a baggie with several replacements (that were more robust than the orignals), for free. I'll definitely continue buying their products - and already have.

Rode make reasonably priced, good sounding mics. I bought an NTG1, an NT3, and a Rode boom pole 7 years ago; since then I bought an NTG3 and a video mic pro. The NTG3 is my go to mic for exteriors; the Sennheiser 416 is the gold standard, but it's quite a bit more expensive. I've got a couple of custom modified AKG C460Bs for interiors; nothing in the Rode range comes close to the sound of those, they're almost Schoeps good. I'm planning on getting a video mic X to record ambience on my feature.

It amazes me how people piss away all their money on cameras and record sound with cheap arse mics and noisy pre-amps. :astonished:

Rode is good for low budget equipment but in the end you get what you pay for, the Rode boompoles and the blimp are the worst I have ever used, recently I bought the new Boom Pro which is a Rycote rip off, and it is worst than the Rycote (there is a licensing thing going on I think).

Now with the Rode-Rycote lyre co-operation the whole line is going up a notch.

The mics are very good value for money, but after a year using continously their mics for work, when I went back to Sennheiser the sound felt right and the Sennheiser blimp, even thought a bit outdated and pricy, it does the job much better. K-Tek as well, in general, boompoles and blimp are a no go for me (I kept the boom pro because it is really light, and for easy tasks it can be ok, but for film/TV certainly is not).

The dSLR kind of mics are very good value for money and very right (again, with the new Lyre system), and much better offerings than other companies, here Rode are pioneers.

I would like to use the RodeLink, I haven't.