5DIV full spec and full image leak

wolf33d

18 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

In all practical reality there's no difference in DR

Have you tried getting max DR out of any camera - it makes stuff look like puke

Within acceptable aesthetic parameters all the modern stills cameras are pretty much the same, there are very SMALL differences.

I agree with you on most topics, but honestly here you are very mistaken.

The best photographers in the world say the contrary. Marc Adamus for exemple, one of the most famous landscape shooter is not using at all exposure blending anymore (he was always bracketing before) since he has a D810 because the DR is so high, it is unnecessary. I believe his work does not look like puke: 

https://500px.com/maphoto

Secondly, I bought and owned the Canon 5DIII, Canon Rebels and multiple Nikons as well as Sony A7R II and so on and I can confirm 100% what you say is completely wrong. Indeed on a Canon body, when you push the dark areas a bit it becomes puke full of noise. I experienced that myself and this forces me to bracket my shots. BUT here is the catch: I usually cannot bracket because my process is always to do a TIMELAPSE of a landscape scene that I will use later in a video, then extract one RAW picture from it (from the best moment of the sunset let's say) and process it as a still. So I need a good DR cause I can't bracket during a timelapse. 

Here is an exemple I made with a Nikon body, it is a RAW picture from a timelapse, with heavy work on the shadows, especially the trees that were BLACK in the picture:

https://500px.com/photo/116251089/star-over-assiniboine-by-loup-fsr?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=860266

Now Andrew does that look like puke to you? 

And here is the thing, when I do the same thing on a Canon body, it indeed looks like puke. Same on M43 bodies like the GH3 (that I owned). All the good shots you can see from a canon body in my gallery are bracketed shots because the single exposure looked awful as soon as I push shadows. Each time I could not do a timelapse. 

Now what Canon did with the 80D, 1DXII and 5DIV is different. They improved well their base ISO DR, but it is still short of what Nikon is doing. 

Yes Canon pros are happy with landscape: either they bracket, either they switch which you can see is the case for a LOT of pro landscape shooters over the web. 
Canon stays the king for sport, weddings, journalism and so on. They have amazing lenses, good AF, good support, good noise but no good DR

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
26 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

In all practical reality there's no difference in DR

Have you tried getting max DR out of any camera - it makes stuff look like puke

Within acceptable aesthetic parameters all the modern stills cameras are pretty much the same, there are very SMALL differences.

Not an issue for stills only an issue for video and for a cinema camera it's tiny.

Are you saying that all landscape photographers are using a Nikon or Sony?

I doubt that....A lot of pro landscape shooters use a 1D X which is basically the same camera as the 1D C and they are perfectly happy with it.

I find my NX1 sings in situations unimaginable for my 7D or a 5DIII. Where I'd probably need a bracketed shot with the 7D (which I've always avoided), I'm able to accomplish it with a single shot on the NX1. Not that I'm a landscape photographer (nor are the photos HDR-esque). But urban and natural landscapes are an important element of a lot of my photographs, especially during challenging moments like nights. I'm really amazed by the difference DR can make. The world of ideas it's opened up for me.

3 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yeah but if you are pushing the shadows that much on any camera, you're going to end up with something that looks weird.

I agree that if you push shadows 5EV all the way it is not gonna be nice on any camera (yet). 
What I say is that on a D5500/D750 and ever better on a D810 you have very clean shadows when heavy work is done on it and that a similar push on a Canon body gives a mush. 

For me the difference in real word is very big and makes all the difference when I have no choice but to have a single exposure. 
Now the new 80D as well as 1DXII are different, they improved but I did not test them so I cant say if it still makes all the difference or not for me. But according to mesurement test they are still far behind (13.5 stop vs 14.8) 

16 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Hahahahaha. I can't believe what I read on here at times. Do you solely shoot into the midday sun from inside a cave?

Did you read my post above? 
And your image does not show anything there is no colors in the shadows on the left. Try to make that pop a little and come back to me. Try the same pic with a D810 and be amazed by the difference. And read my post and exemples above. 

I cant believe what I read either, you obviously dont know what you are talking about. But cool for you be amazed with you 1DC for landscape stills, you should with the money you had put in it.

20 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Did you read my post above? 
And your image does not show anything there is no colors in the shadows on the left. Try to make that pop a little and come back to me. Try the same pic with a D810 and be amazed by the difference. And read my post and exemples above. 

I cant believe what I read either, you obviously dont know what you are talking about. But cool for you be amazed with you 1DC for landscape stills, you should with the money you had put in it.

That landscape picture is lovely. 

Does it really matter there's no colours in the shadows on the left? My eye is looking at the sun, the smoke haze and reflections on the water. 

Nikon go for highest DR at a base ISO... Canon keep their DR across a much bigger range.

Nikon have been well ahead on base ISO, I agree... though the D5 is only 12 stops too and the 1DX ii a healthy 13.5

To say the 1DC is awful is what made me laugh though. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I have no issue with someone saying the Nikon sensor is better... it is saying the Canon is awful and outdated that is laughable. If you can't get your shot with 12 stops, you are not a good photographer that understands light.

There's probably some truth to this, though I've still heard a lot of pros complain about the Canon DR compared to Nikon. They obviously can make it work with the Canons, but they still prefer more. Lately it seems Canon sensors are becoming more competitive though.

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

Nikon go for highest DR at a base ISO... Canon keep their DR across a much bigger range.

Nikon have been well ahead on base ISO, I agree... though the D5 is only 12 stops too and the 1DX ii a healthy 13.5

To say the 1DC is awful is what made me laugh though. 

Yes, all good points. Not gonna disagree. I mean, it's not like there has been a mass defection to Nikon from Canon pros. 

The DR for stills on the D810 (14.8) &  D750 (14.5) is quite phenomenal. That's more then Phase One's & Hasselblad's. 

It's really been hard for me to go back to the 5D3 after 6 months spent on D750. I could recover for days on D750.

5D3 at 11.7 stops is far far far behind. That 2012 sensor tech is old. Even the 6D has a better sensor..

Now how that translates to 8-bit 420 video is a different story, especially when you take ML Raw into consideration.

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I have no issue with someone saying the Nikon sensor is better... it is saying the Canon is awful and outdated that is laughable. If you can't get your shot with 12 stops, you are not a good photographer that understands light.

The point is that having better specs and DR makes my life easier. Of course I can do wonderful picture with a T2i, with correct lights and waiting for the right time of the day I can probably take Hollywood movie.  Some people shoot movies on iphone or Sony A7S moonlight but is that really convenient ? Sure we did survive before DPAF, we manage to focus without peaking and so on.  Manual lenses are very nice, are they easy to handle when shooting portrait ? I still prefer to have good AF.

Now in 2016 when spending $3.5k I would prefer better DR. I do a lot of timelapse and hyperlapse and D750 spare me all the HDR process compared to the 6D where I need to bracket. The 6D is not bad though, the D750 is just better.

PS: The picture above is lovely

2 hours ago, Django said:

The DR for stills on the D810 (14.8) &  D750 (14.5) is quite phenomenal. That's more then Phase One's & Hasselblad's. 

It's really been hard for me to go back to the 5D3 after 6 months spent on D750. I could recover for days on D750.

5D3 at 11.7 stops is far far far behind. That 2012 sensor tech is old. Even the 6D has a better sensor..

Now how that translates to 8-bit 420 video is a different story, especially when you take ML Raw into consideration.

Thank you for explaining to @Jimmy

33 minutes ago, OliKMIA said:

The point is that having better specs and DR makes my life easier. Of course I can do wonderful picture with a T2i, with correct lights and waiting for the right time of the day I can probably take Hollywood movie.  Some people shoot movies on iphone or Sony A7S moonlight but is that really convenient ? Sure we did survive before DPAF, we manage to focus without peaking and so on.  Manual lenses are very nice, are they easy to handle when shooting portrait ? I still prefer to have good AF.

Now in 2016 when spending $3.5k I would prefer better DR. I do a lot of timelapse and hyperlapse and D750 spare me all the HDR process compared to the 6D where I need to bracket. The 6D is not bad though, the D750 is just better.

PS: The picture above is lovely

Thanks for explaining too. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

If you can't get your shot with 12 stops, you are not a good photographer that understands light.

We can get lovely pics with an iPhone, video too. Why dont you use it instead of the 1DC? Because the 1DC is better. Just like the DR of Nikon, it blows away the Canon. 
now this does not mean I cant shoot a picture with a Canon, I did a lot of them: 

https://500px.com/photo/76012719/lex-by-loup-fsr?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=860266

https://500px.com/photo/80695905/morning-up-by-loup-fsr?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=860266 

For landscapes I had to bracket to get the result I want and this is not working for me (explained above why). So for me the DR of the 1DC is as laughable as it gets for a camera of this price when I get a better DR from a 300$ D5200. That's it.

Anyway if you are happy with your 1DC as far as DR is concerned good for you. The point of my conversation of this thread was about Andrew saying "In all practical reality there's no difference in DR. Within acceptable aesthetic parameters all the modern stills cameras are pretty much the same, there are very SMALL differences." which I strongly disagree and explained why.

What a joke! Here it is anounced:

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-announces-the-eos-5d-mark-iv-dslr/

This is extraordinary, their press release is completely video oriented. They say that they listen to the video customer and brought the best video specs.

how funny that is... Yet no C-LOG, nor word on crop, prehistoric codec while they put a real one in the XC10. They take us for pigeons so pigeons can go and get it but I will pass!

Very sad to see those confirmed specs.