5DIV full spec and full image leak

wolf33d

A good "in-depth look at the video specs of the Canon 5D Mark IV", thanks for sharing it Andrew!

@gt3rs, don't get your hopes up. A 4K UHD crop from a 30,4 Mpix sensor will result in approx 1,75x crop. A lot closer to Panasonic Gh2 1,86x video crop than Canon APSC.

IMO, Canon may either offer a 1,75x crop 4K UHD video mode, or a full frame 4K UHD (FHD resolution wise) with line skipping and a blur applied to it to kill off the moire (like on 7D mk 2 FHD), or both modes. Laughing date is near so we shall rest easy in a couple of days. :)

@Mattias Burling, I don't know what Gh4 or Sony cameras you've used, but my "special" Gh4 trashes any 5D mk 3 regarding video quality any day and XC-10 was the biggest joke Canon has ever made. :))

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 minutes ago, Eno said:

@Mattias Burling, I don't know what Gh4 or Sony cameras you've used, but my "special" Gh4 trashes any 5D mk 3 regarding video quality any day and XC-10 was the biggest joke Canon has ever made. :))

Have you shot any 5D III RAW footage? As for narrative at least for me it also blows away any GH4, A7S. For event filming and such I would agree to shoot on a A7SII or GH4, as the edit needs to be delivered fast. 

@zerocool22, I mostly shot events so RAW video is very uninteresting to me. But even so, I prefer a carefully edited good 8bit 4K image to a RAW FHD.

1080p is something of the past, ok to watch but definitely not something to shot on for the future. :)

• Super Members
39 minutes ago, Eno said:

I don't know about joke. None of the competitors offer anything like it. I guess the Sony AX100 could be considered a competitor but boy did it underwhelm.

Nah, nothing from a GH4 I've ever seen matches ML Raw from a 5D. If you have any examples I would love to see them (and no charts, images ;) ).

4K from a GH4. Sony A7s or other low bitrate shooters doesn't look as good as upscaled HD from a good camera imo.
Ive done so many blind tests and people always fail to identify the 4K anyway. even the once here that claim to always see it.

But hey, nothing wrong with 4K, I use it all the time.

41 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Have you shot any 5D III RAW footage? As for narrative at least for me it also blows away any GH4, A7S. For event filming and such I would agree to shoot on a A7SII or GH4, as the edit needs to be delivered fast. 

I agree that the 5D raw footage is stunning but it's not Canon that is providing it. It's yet to be seen if and when Magic Lantern can provide similar capabilities in this camera. If they can, this camera should be much more useful.

@Mattias Burling "4K from a GH4. Sony A7s or other low bitrate shooters doesn't look as good as upscaled HD from a good camera imo."

A carefully shot and edited 4K image looks much better than any Canon FHD. I've used for meany years the 5D2 for video work and was a revolutionary tool for it's time, but now even in RAW looks old. It is ok to have different preferences and opinions but what you just said is very untrue. On a 4K or bigger screen, FHD looks pour in comparison to a 4K image.

Just remember, Gh4 + an external recorder brings 4K at 10 bit and 4:2:2 chroma sampling to the table, a very good image at a price under 5D mk 3.

28 minutes ago, jgharding said:

Why not use the MXF codec from the XC10 for 4K? seems odd... 500mbits is bonkers.

Probably cause they limit stuff like that to what they consider their cinema line and they don't see this as one of those cameras, though I'm sure they expect it to get a lot of use from indy filmmakers. 

3 minutes ago, Eno said:

@Mattias Burling "4K from a GH4. Sony A7s or other low bitrate shooters doesn't look as good as upscaled HD from a good camera imo."

A carefully shot and edited 4K image looks much better than any Canon FHD. I've used for meany years the 5D2 for video work and was a revolutionary tool for it's time, but now even in RAW looks old. It is ok to have different preferences and opinions but what you just said is very untrue. On a 4K or bigger screen, FHD looks bad in comparison to a good 4K.

Just remember, Gh4 + an external recorder brings 4K at 10 bit4:2:2 to the table, a very good image at a price under 5D mk 3.

Yeah, it's remarkable what the GH4 can already provide. Now imagine how much better the GH5 and GH6 will be. Both of these should come out before we see a 5D mkV. I know cameras are more than a spec sheet, but I'm not understanding the excitement. Maybe it will be incredible though.

Canon almost always have boring specs... They get slated by bloggers, the forums are rife with laughter and scorn. Then the footage comes out and people do a double take.

You only need to look to the blog owner here, a self confessed tech/spec head, to see this... He has the 1DC, C500 and XC10. All were mocked and generally considered underwhelming yet the image draws people in.

Canon are mugs if they don't put in c-log though... If it doesn't have c-log or ML... count me out.

1 hour ago, Eno said:

@gt3rs, don't get your hopes up. A 4K UHD crop from a 30,4 Mpix sensor will result in approx 1,75x crop. A lot closer to Panasonic Gh2 1,86x video crop than Canon APSC.

View that the video format is 16:9 or 1.9:1 (DCI) we should use only the horizontal resolution in calculating the crop. If not even a FF sensor is a crop in video mode. IMO 5D IV will have 4k DCI that is 4096×2160 so 6750/4096 = 1.647 Crop in comparison to 1Dx II ‎5472/4096 = 1.335 and 1Dc 5184/4096 = 1.265. It could be something else but I doubt that they implemented something different than the 1Dx II considering the rest of the specs.

Btw not sure why people complain about the MJPEG format, in Resolve scrubbing a 4k MJPEG file is way faster than a LGOP h.264 and with the new updated 12.5.1 I can even edit natively on Windows the 25fps 4k MJPEG on my notebook (i7-4810MQ) in real-time on FullHD timeline. I switch the timeline to 4k for the final rendering.

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Since when did 4k60p become a must have on a DSLR!?  This spec chasing will just go on and on and on.

Is that the same Canon that ALREADY have a 4K60p camera (1DX-II)?

Is that also the same Canon that have the best 4K image quality of any hybrid/dslr (1DC)?

Is that the same Canon that "finally jumped into 4K" 3 years ago (1DC)?

If it has an image similar to the 1DX-II, it will be a nice camera... 4:2:2 mpeg is actually really nice. Will be interesting to see if ML take a look under the hood.

4K60 is not a must have, just very nice to have in 2016 for slomo, especially when it's going to be standard with the future Sony and Panasonic camera. Canon is giving us 4K very late. How is 4k30 going to look like in 3-4 years ? Same as the crappy canon 1080/30 is today.

Ok, the 1DX2 has 4k60 but no log, no peaking, no zebra, nothing basically except for the useless 800mbps MJPEG...

1DC is surely nice and introduced 4K on DSRL but it was $15k when it came out. Plus there is too much limitation for me (crop, 24p only, etc). It's sill $5k today. I would rather spend it on a A7SII + 24-70 G Master lens.

As for Magic Lantern, I wouldn't put too much hope into it knowing how Canon locked the latest 5Dmk3. It's impossible to install ML on the latest camera. I would be surprised if Canon leaves the door open for a firmware hack.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Canon almost always have boring specs... They get slated by bloggers, the forums are rife with laughter and scorn. Then the footage comes out and people do a double take.

You only need to look to the blog owner here, a self confessed tech/spec head, to see this... He has the 1DC, C500 and XC10. All were mocked and generally considered underwhelming yet the image draws people in.

Canon are mugs if they don't put in c-log though... If it doesn't have c-log or ML... count me out.

Having Slog2 on the A7SII is absolutely awesome. As long as you know how to grade and manage the profile, the results are well worth it.

Just down to taste, I don't want to use any other camera that doesn't have log. 

The new 5D won't have it, so........ err, probably not for me. 

I have held on to Canon for so long, even shooting on the 5DIII with Magic Lantern RAW for events (so painful) and am going to be so disappointed if there's a 1.7x crop. I mean you might as well get a GH4, a camera from 2014, with a speed booster. It will yield a much wider FOV and you get log for half the price. So freaking disappointed. 

7 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Having Slog2 on the A7SII is absolutely awesome. As long as you know how to grade and manage the profile, the results are well worth it.

Have Sony fixed color handling issues? I've tried the A7s for events and it had really weird clipping under certain lighting conditions (blue LEDs mostly) using slog. I've preferred the color from the 5DIII/MLRaw but I just can't justify it anymore. 

3 hours ago, Eno said:

A good "in-depth look at the video specs of the Canon 5D Mark IV", thanks for sharing it Andrew!

IMO, Canon may either offer a 1,75x crop 4K UHD video mode, or a full frame 4K UHD (FHD resolution wise) with line skipping and a blur applied to it to kill off the moire (like on 7D mk 2 FHD), or both modes. Laughing date is near so we shall rest easy in a couple of days. :)

Canon stopped using line-skipping since 5D Mark III. They use pixel-binning to get a lower resolution raw bayer and upscale to 1080p.

3 hours ago, Eno said:

@zerocool22, I mostly shot events so RAW video is very uninteresting to me. But even so, I prefer a carefully edited good 8bit 4K image to a RAW FHD.

1080p is something of the past, ok to watch but definitely not something to shot on for the future. :)

Yes I prefer consumer 8 bit 4K to blockbusters shot on Alexa also... 

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Just down to taste, I don't want to use any other camera that doesn't have log. 

The new 5D won't have it, so........ err, probably not for me. 

It's ridiculous really... A few lines of code.

If only Canon would realise that adding C-log to the DSLR range is simply not gonna take away all their CXXX customers. In fact, they will gain a bunch of sales from CXXX users who need a B cam.