Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 jitter still an issue?

kieranvyas

I shoot video and I'm looking to buy the Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 but the micro jitters issue puts me off. Can anyone confirm whether or not the problem is fixed after the 2 latest firmware updates?

If the issue still persists, could anyone tell me whether the problem can be tackled by using a stabiliser? Or would the lens still add jitter? For example, I use a shoulder rig and a steadicam, will the lens still add jitter when using such equipment?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Good question. I've used the 35-100 on a pistol grip stabilizer and experienced bad jitters, while the 12-35 F/2.8 works well. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the stabilizer itself, it is steady as a rock. I am going to try turning off OIS and shooting again next week. I don't think the firmware updates solved the issue at all. Too bad, because the 35-100 F/2.8 is a beautiful, compact zoom.

3 hours ago, kieranvyas said:

I shoot video and I'm looking to buy the Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 but the micro jitters issue puts me off. Can anyone confirm whether or not the problem is fixed after the 2 latest firmware updates?

If the issue still persists, could anyone tell me whether the problem can be tackled by using a stabiliser? Or would the lens still add jitter? For example, I use a shoulder rig and a steadicam, will the lens still add jitter when using such equipment?

I had the annoying jitter with up to date firmware on my Panasonic gx7 and g7. It is gone on my gx80 with dual-is. Search for my tests on YouTube (sgreszcz) for more details as I compare with the g7/lx100/gx80/em5ii

6 minutes ago, sgreszcz said:

I had the annoying jitter with up to date firmware on my Panasonic gx7 and g7. It is gone on my gx80 with dual-is. Search for my tests on YouTube (sgreszcz) for more details as I compare with the g7/lx100/gx80/em5ii

Very interesting video, thanks! So it seems that different cameras get different results. I have the Panasonic GH3. Hopefully someone with the GH3 and the 35-100mm might post their results!

30 minutes ago, sgreszcz said:

I have a feeling there will be jitter on gh3

The update description is: Improved the stability of O.I.S.[Optical Image Stabilizer] in Motion Picture recording (When using DMC-GH3/GH4)

As it mentions the GH3 specifically I would hope that the jitter would be better. Hopefully someone can confirm.

4 hours ago, kieranvyas said:

The update description is: Improved the stability of O.I.S.[Optical Image Stabilizer] in Motion Picture recording (When using DMC-GH3/GH4)

As it mentions the GH3 specifically I would hope that the jitter would be better. Hopefully someone can confirm.

Good luck!  I was so very frustrated about the jitter in such a great lens, but now it is gone on my GX80, I'm quite happy...

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2016 at 6:48 PM, kieranvyas said:

I updated my 35-100mm f/2.8 Panasonic lens last night. I didn't realize I'd been shooting with the v.1.1 firmware all this time! I did so because I'd just done another shoot with the Zhiyun Crane, and while the images themselves were beautiful, they were ruined by micro jitters. I went ahead and did some shooting this morning, and while there is still a smidgen of jitter, it is much, much better than before, at times barely noticeable. I shot both head shots and close ups of flowers (close ups are the best for showing up jitters). I'm still not sure whether it might not be better to shoot with the OIS turned off. I'll leave that for tomorrow. Anyhow, I'm much happier with the 35-100, it's always been a stunning lens. On the other hand, after doing comprehensive shooting with the 12-35mm f/2.8, I'm thinking of retiring it. For one thing, flare is a huge problem, and with a wide angle, there's almost always some bright light somewhere in the background - a window, the sky, reflective surfaces or bright lights - and they absolutely kill the image. This is not such a problem with the 35-100, because of its narrower field of view. So, at this point, if I do end up replacing the 12-35, I'm thinking of getting two primes: the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and perhaps the new Leica 12mm, if Sigma doesn't release a fast, wide MFT lens soon... So, to answer your question, after installing both firmware updates, the jitters problem is almost, but not completely gone. I'll try to update this tomorrow after I've done some shooting with the OIS turned off. One thing, though, is I don't think the Zhiyun works great with the 35-100, I can hear the motors straining when moving the stabilizer to extreme positions, something that rarely occurs with the shorter, lighter 12-35, so I'd recommend using small lenses, except perhaps for static shots, at least with the Crane.

12 hours ago, markr041 said:

This was shot using the Lumix 35-100 f2.8 lens handheld, but using dual IS on the GX85:

Hey Mark, nice clip, great music! May I ask what focal length and aperture you were using for this? I find the 35-100mm is sharpest at f/2.8-4 in the 35-50mm range, resolution drops off significantly at 5.6 unless you extend the zoom to 100mm. It looks like the GX85 dual IS is a winner. I finally got around to testing the GH4 with the Crane gimbal and 35-100mm f/2.8 with OIS turned off. First thing is, I find the Crane struggles with that combination, it isn't ideal at all - I can sometimes hear the motors struggling, and more than once the stabilizer behaved erratically, even though I'd balanced the camera properly. Secondly, with OIS off, the shots where the gimbal kept the camera steady looked fine, and jitter-free. But several of the shots were a bit wobbly. My percentage of usable shots with OIS on was much higher. So if you must use the 35-100mm f/2.8 on the GH4, I'd suggest leaving OIS turned on and hoping for the best. :)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:36 AM, jonpais said:

Hey Mark, nice clip, great music! May I ask what focal length and aperture you were using for this? I find the 35-100mm is sharpest at f/2.8-4 in the 35-50mm range, resolution drops off significantly at 5.6 unless you extend the zoom to 100mm. It looks like the GX85 dual IS is a winner. 

Thanks. I shot between 50 and 100mm, and because it was dim, it was mostly wide-open at the relevant max for the focal lengths. Seems dual-IS takes care of any jitters.