Kowa Anamorphic-35 1.75x Inflight :)

victorshoots

On 8/12/2016 at 3:45 PM, Hans Punk said:

I tend to shoot with an old 100mm meyer optik f2.8 zebra - set no wider than f4 on full frame. Gives good all round performance and sharpness at that stop.

I really wish I kept all my old m42 glass now. I still have a Super Tak 50/1.4, 55/1.8, 135/2.5. Interested to see what they look like with the kowa stopped down a bit. 

I'm shooting mainly S35 format. What math is needed to figure out the widest on s35 vs FF? 58/1.45=40mm?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 14 August 2016 at 6:54 AM, victorshoots said:

I really wish I kept all my old m42 glass now. I still have a Super Tak 50/1.4, 55/1.8, 135/2.5. Interested to see what they look like with the kowa stopped down a bit. 

I'm shooting mainly S35 format. What math is needed to figure out the widest on s35 vs FF? 58/1.45=40mm?

40mm should work on S35 with the1.75x inflight...50mm is an even safer bet. Helios 44 58mm works particularly well, especially the older 13 blade version, this helps keep the aperture as round as possible - meaning that when stopped down, the oval bokeh shape will be smoother (edges not cut into from the aperture blades). Many older 'preset' type lenses are good for anamorphic - as they often have lots of aperture blades, making for a nice round aperture when stopped down....this translates into smooth oval bokeh when using an anamorphic up front. 

On 8/10/2016 at 7:22 PM, victorshoots said:

Hey everyone,

I've been watching these forums for years and contemplating when to jump on a anamorphic solution. I think my "patience" might have paid off as I just acquired this beauty of a lens that is just a BEAST of glass. From the little I could find about it online it seems to be one of the highest quality optics around made for 35mm film projectors on airlines back in the day. Currently it is still on its way to me so i'm hoping it arrives without any damage. Once it gets here i'm thinking of getting a Core DNA from Rectilux to make it a viable single focus solution. Any core dna useres out there that can vouch for it's quality? Might need to do some machining though to get the Core DNA to fit from what i've been told. 

Anyone on here have one of these bad boys that can shed some light on working with this setup feel free to share would love to know more about this lens! Will post actual pics when it arrives! 

Was able to find one for sale on ebay currently but feel lucky I found another source hah...how rare are these really?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kowa-Anamorphic-35-1-75x-Lens-/282114577816?hash=item41af56d598:g:y8YAAOSwIgNXmI1D

27193-1.jpg

27193-2.jpg

I saw this a few weeks before you ;) Almost bought it but I already have 2 and have the CoreDNA as well. It's very nice. I compared it to the Bell and Howell and it was much sharper and shines the same as the Kowa 35 1.5x. Jim at Rapido designed a  front filter holder of 77mm and a back connecter for me. Works well but Hans set up is very nice :) http://www.rapidotechnology.com/products-services/customized-step-up-down-rings/adapter-for-kowa-lens/kowa-pa-35-in-flight

http://www.rapidotechnology.com/products-services/rapido-front-filter-adapter-for-anamorphic-lens

On 8/15/2016 at 1:33 PM, Hans Punk said:

40mm should work on S35 with the1.75x inflight...50mm is an even safer bet. Helios 44 58mm works particularly well, especially the older 13 blade version, this helps keep the aperture as round as possible - meaning that when stopped down, the oval bokeh shape will be smoother (edges not cut into from the aperture blades). Many older 'preset' type lenses are good for anamorphic - as they often have lots of aperture blades, making for a nice round aperture when stopped down....this translates into smooth oval bokeh when using an anamorphic up front. 

Now lets say i'm using a taking lens designed for 35mm like old lomo's. Is there any difference in those numbers for widest? Would I be multiplying by 1.5x?

4 hours ago, victorshoots said:

Now lets say i'm using a taking lens designed for 35mm like old lomo's. Is there any difference in those numbers for widest? Would I be multiplying by 1.5x?

Tito's calculator is a handy tool to work things out. http://www.tferradans.com/blog/?p=8615

Where there is less info on vignette with a 1.75x lens, treat it as 1.5x stretch, but allow a little wiggle room in the numbers (round up a little to be safe).

I'm my experience, 1.75x lenses can often be regarded as a 1.5x stretch, as most medium/close focus distance scenarios (non infinity) will always yield less of the stretch ratio from the lens...as all Anamorphic stretch ratios are measured at the infinity point.

Definitive answers on taking lens vignette or performance can depend on many things...often the way to find a good pairing is to test out for yourself. Also a taking lens' coverage may be slightly flexible if you are able to shoot 4:3 or 3:2 aspect in camera...or if you plan to shoot 16:9 aspect and post crop.

17 hours ago, Hans Punk said:

Tito's calculator is a handy tool to work things out. http://www.tferradans.com/blog/?p=8615

Where there is less info on vignette with a 1.75x lens, treat it as 1.5x stretch, but allow a little wiggle room in the numbers (round up a little to be safe).

I'm my experience, 1.75x lenses can often be regarded as a 1.5x stretch, as most medium/close focus distance scenarios (non infinity) will always yield less of the stretch ratio from the lens...as all Anamorphic stretch ratios are measured at the infinity point.

Definitive answers on taking lens vignette or performance can depend on many things...often the way to find a good pairing is to test out for yourself. Also a taking lens' coverage may be slightly flexible if you are able to shoot 4:3 or 3:2 aspect in camera...or if you plan to shoot 16:9 aspect and post crop.

Perfect thanks again for the info it's been a great help! Finally have the Kowa in my hands and it looks pretty great! Some light cleaning marks on the front but otherwise very nice from my eye. Just working on making a nice hard mount for it on some rails to start. Next step is order the Core DNA and send the pair off for machining and fine adjustments. 

15 hours ago, victorshoots said:

Perfect thanks again for the info it's been a great help! Finally have the Kowa in my hands and it looks pretty great! Some light cleaning marks on the front but otherwise very nice from my eye. Just working on making a nice hard mount for it on some rails to start. Next step is order the Core DNA and send the pair off for machining and fine adjustments. 

I be interested to see your setup once machining is done. I shot this with my Inflight with three different taken lens. Two vintage and one modern. Was slightly off on my height calculation. I had it at 62% and it should 57%. 

• 4 months later...

So i've been waiting for bit for a while and patiently waiting for the Core DNA to come back in stock to finish my setup. Here is how she sits now! The new Rapido system is great. Had some custom step up rings machined by Raf in russia and everything mates together now. Once I get the rectilux i'll do an initial test then send away for cleaning/adjustment at super16 inc.

IMG_20161107_195612.jpg

IMG_20161107_203025.jpg

IMG_20161107_212949.jpg

IMG_20170112_183056.jpg

IMG_20170112_183934.jpg

4 hours ago, DamienMTL said:

Looks super nice. who did the lens bracket? I need exactly the same for my KOWA 16H. thanks ;)

It's actually an adapter made by Vocas for mounting a PL to E-mount adapter. The inner clamp diameter is a fraction bigger than the outer diameter of a Redstan clamp...with a thin layer of felt tape applied on the inside, It resolves the issue perfectly. It gives a very secure grip, as well as avoiding metal on metal damage when cranking down on the clamp support to lock everything tight. Here is my other setup with the B&H attached.

26635568024_7d4d6846ac_h.jpg

• 2 months later...

IMG_20161107_195612.jpgIMG_20161107_203025.jpg

Haven't done much testing yet at all. My taking lenses have a early"red p" coating from late 50's Russia as well, so together i'm still unsure of results but will post some tests soon. Just put things together for first time. I flared it with an led light once which was very blue in temp and I was shooting at 2700k so flares were very blue. Will try with gelling the led to match my shooting temp and try again. What I noticed though is it doesn't flare as easily as some lenses but when it does the image doesn't seem to lose too much the contrast.