Meet..... THE TRUMPET! (8mm 1.5x)

richg101

[attachment=420:7D Trumpetsmall.jpg] This is an image of the coolest looking anamorphic setup I have ever seen. Cinevision 8mm 1.5x anamorphot, helios zebra 44-2 (with matched blue flares to match the horizontal blue flare of the cinevision) and the zacuto evf with 1.5x desqueeze. due to the amount of flare he has fitted a hood and variable nd which is probably a good idea for sunny days. this is how the system looks:-

flares:- http://vimeo.com/58577845    http://vimeo.com/59005040

use:- http://vimeo.com/58784632

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The prominence of those patterns is probably more to do with the fact that the light source is a maglite rather than an LED based iphone flash that most people use to test flares.  its a rather tight beam which blasts a lot more light down the barrel than a dot of blue light from a iphone:)  The lens did have a few cleaning marks on the front element but I dont think it is the major cause.  The taking lens has been modified internally and this could be a reason - light bouncing around where it shouldnt be.

The prominence of those patterns is probably more to do with the fact that the light source is a maglite rather than an LED based iphone flash that most people use to test flares.  its a rather tight beam which blasts a lot more light down the barrel than a dot of blue light from a iphone:)  The lens did have a few cleaning marks on the front element but I dont think it is the major cause.  The taking lens has been modified internally and this could be a reason - light bouncing around where it shouldnt be.

Whatever it is or where it's coming from, it's cool.  Some of these lenses produce more or less extreme or pleasing flares but they mostly tend to be homogeneous in the coloration of their flares and internal reflections.  This one has a nice, unusual mix of both cool and warm tones.  I've always liked how some of the Panavision lenses give that nice blue flaring but often put a red ring around a bare light source.  This is way more, I don't know, organic.  Maybe it's partly the Helios too?

Meet the seehorse... came into my mind. Great skate video. The cinevision is very impressive and you very good work on your side.

Flares are not the main reason for me to like anamorphic - and too much en vogue (or may be were?) at the moment.

Honestly I cannot say what I really like about anamorphic: I am not so much into flares, I don't notice oval bokeh... I just like it -like

millions of other people just watching and enjoying without the knowledge how a certain picture is produced.

• 1 month later...

Nice looking footage!

Did you use warp stabilisation on the above video? The flares are bouncing around, where as the frame stays quite smooth. Admittedly I'm confused over why the flare doesn't stabilise with the whole frame though...I need coffee.

Your eyes are good....yes, warp stabilise was used as I only had a crappy £19 monopod that day which did not quite work as well as it should. Flares are always a killer for any kind of tracking/stabilise software, as they are semi transparent, shape shifting beasts that have a parallax shift of there own speed/ direction which the tracking algorithms tend to either ignore or latch on to which can create an invalid track/stabilise. This video has the settings whacked stupidly high to have a floaty feel, but yeah...the bouncing flares kind of kill the effect :)