Red Dragon? Anyone?

Dave Maze

I certainly don't think Red looks bad, not that my opinion matters (I'm one of those hobbyists you mentioned and admittedly far from an expert). I actually think Red looks pretty fantastic. I've just heard my favorite cinematographer (Roger Deakins) and others rave about the Alexa. But I'm sure there are some who love Red just as much.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/12/2016 at 0:26 PM, Kino said:

I saw some examples of RED Raven footage posted above, but I think this video is a much better demonstration of the camera's potential:

For $5-10K, it doesn't get much better than this in terms of image quality. If you are shooting events or docs, however, I'm sure a Canon or Sony would be a better choice.

Out of curiosity, why do you like that?

I feel like its over-exposed, but then again... may be thats the look the DP and director was going for...

57 minutes ago, Flynn said:

I certainly don't think Red looks bad, not that my opinion matters (I'm one of those hobbyists you mentioned and admittedly far from an expert). I actually think Red looks pretty fantastic. I've just heard my favorite cinematographer (Roger Deakins) and others rave about the Alexa. But I'm sure there are some who love Red just as much.

Agreed! I feel like the skin tones from Red without much work are definitely kind of orange, but in more of a lut way than a fake tan or plastic looking skin way. The film Drinking Buddies and Mattias's footage are great examples of the color science shown off really simple and pretty. It's more of like a glint off of the skin I think. Feel like it could help in mixed lighting too, so the skin still pops instead of just blending in. A lot of films shot on film have very orange skin, but still in a cool way. maxresdefault.jpg

@Lee Kelly  Are you a working professional DP, that is my first question.

I loved RED cameras for the cost, heck I have one in my avatar from a shoot and was amazed and how accessible this made it. Prior cameras costed well over 100k (film) and RED really brought/made this possible for people with low budgets (50k) to be able to use them. Now if you have EVER used an Alexa and more specifically an Alexa Mini then you would know why it's simply one of the best looking digital images from an camera Ever....

Now for us "Poor" folks I will be buying an Ursa Mini 4.6k :) for my personal projects and work on any and everything else.

ps. Alexa Mini looks Amazing, Red Dragon looks greta as well, in the end though don't let any camera limit your creativity and shoot your projects on anything you have possible as CONTENT will always be MORE important than any camera you use.... PEACE

On 8/15/2016 at 10:00 AM, mkabi said:

Out of curiosity, why do you like that?

I feel like its over-exposed, but then again... may be thats the look the DP and director was going for...

Agreed, RED can look great, but this video does the camera and sensor no favors.

On August 12, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Flynn said:
On August 8, 2016 at 0:55 PM, Kurtisso said:

Spent some time looking at Kinefinity footage after some posts on this thread and the image is beautiful. Surprised there isn't more interest in it. They've got some traded in versions of the Kinemini on their website pretty cheap too. I think I like the image more than BM.

Hahaha you might have accidentally misused the quote function there, not my words! But I do agree with them! :glasses:

Or maybe that was the younger Kurtisso Jr. that hopped onto my account and posted that. :grimace: